Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I 70 is crowded as shit. I haven't read through the whole thread, so maybe someone has already said this - if huge expanses of glades aren't important to you, I vote Loveland. It's a great mountain, and although I haven't skied it much, I know a good bit of people who really like it and call it their home terrain. You could also hop around The I 70 corridor buying one day passes to whatever tickles your fancy.

I have heard Sunlight is a nice little mountain with good trees and low crowds, but haven't been. Someone else can either verify or deny...

The Shell Ski Free deal is also valid at Crested Butte which is about a 4 hour drive from Denver. I70 traffic is the worst...you could spend 4 hours driving home from some of the resorts previously suggested. CB is an awesome town and the mountain is MUCH less crowded than anything off I70.

^^this

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Bruce doesn't like snowshoe. He says the starter jackets irritate his sense of style and the meth is too diluted with god-knows-what.
    Me? I like snowshoe. If you can ski Cupp Run, you can ski anywhere on the planet, man.

For realz, I haven't skied snowshoe since the 80s. If I need a fix for snow, I just go to Canaan Valley and ski some backcountry. Then there's Ski Liberty. I have been the best skier there since '93 (and I don't even ski there (except with the next generation of Apes)...they just put a plaque up in the lodge with my name just so people stop paging me for a ski-off).

Winter Park it is people. Thanks!

I just need to wait for the cash to flo.
    Only been to Snowshoe once.. But have heard that Canaan Valley is the best around when it dumps.. Believe they almost got 300 inches a couple years back.

Also would recommend Loveland and A Basin for CO. Have fun
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

If you are daytripping from Denver you should definitely check out Loveland for at least a day. It's not the steepest mountain around but there's very few moguls and never any lines and cheap lift tickets. You have to drive past it to get to almost everywhere else, so get off the highway and start skiing!

Go to Telluride
    Not cheap
    Not near Denver
    But is by far the best ski mountain in CO

Another question:

When does the cirque open? I noticed it was closed.

Before you pull the trigger on WP you might want to wait. I hear they are considering going to alpine only. No smelemarkers allowed.

But please do bring some snow.

Another question:

When does the cirque open? I noticed it was closed.
    I'm guessing not for a while. It is kinda waste of time IMO. This might change with the "Cirque Sled" with nobody knows anything about.

If you answer the questions I asked, we can be of more help.

While @ WP hit up Mary Jane. Cool place very close by.
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Cirque is getting close. Everything else is open.
    I was talking to some employees and they said it hasn’t ripped this year. Obviously, that’s a big giant reset button for them. I guess they bought this big steel drum, basically a lawn roller for snow, that they’ll start using like a winch cat for packing things down back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm guessing not for a while. It is kinda waste of time IMO. This might change with the "Cirque Sled" with nobody knows anything about.

If you answer the questions I asked, we can be of more help.
    I tried to buy a pass for the cirque sled, and they were mostly clueless, but also said they were sold out. Wtf?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

And for those suggesting Loveland, if he's day tripping from Denver, it's worth a day or two, but that is it.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^ yep, sold out... I bought one early for the hell of it. Tried to get the pass printed last time out (last week) and they had no clue I purchased, searched the computer for a good 15 mins, could even hear the gears grinding in the girls head as she looked perplexed into the computer screen. I printed out the receipt for next visit.

Guess I forgot to mention that I would be picking one place and staying there. I have been stressed as hell the past 6 months and need to just chill once I get there. That's why WP looks so good to me. How's the bowl to the east/southeast of the top of Panoramic Express (out of bounds)? It emptys to near the hairpin turn of Route 40. That looks enticing.

I recommend you in invite dascunt over for a three-way.

How's the bowl to the east/southeast of the top of Panoramic Express (out of bounds)? It emptys to near the hairpin turn of Route 40. That looks enticing.
    Avalanche conditions are currently touchy. When they are going they break to the ground, and are large. It has been nearly 30 years since I've seen the type of massive slides we are currently experiencing. They had Berthoud Pass closed for abut 1/2 a day to clear a triggered slide which went nearly 20 feet deep this past week.

Holy balls batman, I didn't hear about that! Where was the slide?

Also, Loveland is not as boring as a lot of people make it out to be. And it's rarely crowded. I would go where the snow is, but if it's all good, you could get cheap tickets on liftopia to abasin, Loveland and (pricier) wp. That would be a good mix, IMO. Oh and Mary Jane is part of wp, just a different area. Has a free parking lot too, and some great terrain from what I hear. Never skied it though.

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Holy balls batman, I didn't hear about that! Where was the slide?
    Stanley slidepath. CDOT set 'er loose with explosives.

Huh. I didn't know so many people skied Wanker Park. Maybe we should have a ski day or something. We used to call that a mini.

Re: Cirque - it's a mess because all the departments don't really talk to each other. Yes, the roller exists. No, they haven't used it yet. Cirque Sled - "sold out" probably means "hold you horses, we need to figure this out". Word on the street is this vehicle may not even exist yet. Patrol was not consulted. My patroller buddies figure ski school will be responsible. Those clowns can't even load a full chair or stop there groups in safe areas.

OB/Zero Creek/Highway - This is the bowl you are referring to. Short story, don't ski it. Besides being extremely avalanche prone, ducking the rope by the permanent closure is bad juju, puts patrol in a bad spot and jeopardizes the relationship between the locals and patrol.

WP/Chill/etc. - yeah, we got chillin'. Like fuckin' tumbleweeds. I've lived hear half my life so obviously I like it. If apres, xc skiing, BC skiing, no liftlines, crockpottin' at the condo, etc. is your style you'll like it. If nightclubs, seen and be seen and fanciness is your style, go elsewhere. This town is way more Carhartt than Bogner. Without a little bit a primer, WP the resort can be a little frustrating. On the surface, it pretty much sucks. However once you figure out how to get around (pro tip: don't follow the signs or the trails), that you pretty much don't have to ski bumps ever and that there is never a reason to go to the base village, it's pretty sweet.

Because of the lack of info you provided, we really have no idea what appeals to you. If you want to go the WP route, we are underpants can get you discount tickets. I can get you pointed in the right direction on lodging. You'll need a car etc. Also consider the 4X40 pass deal and split your time between here and steamboat.

Re: Cirque - it's a mess because all the departments don't really talk to each other. Yes, the roller exists. No, they haven't used it yet. Cirque Sled - "sold out" probably means "hold you horses, we need to figure this out". Word on the street is this vehicle may not even exist yet. Patrol was not consulted. My patroller buddies figure ski school will be responsible. Those clowns can't even load a full chair or stop there groups in safe areas.
    If it opens, but the sled is non-functioning, can I still access it via ambulation?

OB/Zero Creek/Highway - This is the bowl you are referring to. Short story, don't ski it. Besides being extremely avalanche prone, ducking the rope by the permanent closure is bad juju, puts patrol in a bad spot and jeopardizes the relationship between the locals and patrol.
    Noted.

WP/Chill/etc. - yeah, we got chillin'. Like fuckin' tumbleweeds. I've lived hear half my life so obviously I like it. If apres, xc skiing, BC skiing, no liftlines, crockpottin' at the condo, etc. is your style you'll like it. If nightclubs, seen and be seen and fanciness is your style, go elsewhere. This town is way more Carhartt than Bogner.
    I, for one, go to an area to SKI, rest, eat, ski, rest, eat, take a few dumps, then ski some more. I don't drink anymore nor smoke weed. All I need is a nice place where the lady feels a little pampered and has some mellow terrain for her and some gnar-esque for me. I scoff at the bogner boners.

Without a little bit a primer, WP the resort can be a little frustrating. On the surface, it pretty much sucks. However once you figure out how to get around (pro tip: don't follow the signs or the trails), that you pretty much don't have to ski bumps ever and that there is never a reason to go to the base village, it's pretty sweet.
    It looks like a pretty cool mountain from the maps. Being an easterner, I am extremely adept at sniffing out snow and where others have not been by knowing the terrain beforehand. WP looks like a nice mountain where you can explore between the trails pretty easily (correct me if I am wrong).

Because of the lack of info you provided, we really have no idea what appeals to you. If you want to go the WP route, we are underpants can get you discount tickets. I can get you pointed in the right direction on lodging. You'll need a car etc. Also consider the 4X40 pass deal and split your time between here and steamboat.
    Hopefully, I have given you some more info to help a brutha out. Lodging doesn't need to be foofy, but somewhat nice and as easy as possible (i.e. ski-in ski-out or close enough to the slopes to be somewhat easy). I foresee this as being a nice time with the lady, with some hopefully awesome skiing for me but with little effort expended (i.e. driving all around CO, changing hotels) after we hit a ski area. We are just getting out of an extremely stressful period in our lives and we just need a nice time together (where I can also ski my face off).

Thanks!

Also, I haven't made any arrangements yet because I am waiting for the house refinance check to get back to me.

I second the steamboat suggestion. Your better half will be able to find plenty of places to feel "pampered" there, and the terrain is just awesome. Plus you'll get wp and steamboat. At least you can decide which you like better for a return trip. Neither will disappoint as far as the skiing goes, I can promise that.

Thanks Cyborg...I'll keep Steamboat in mind.

Thanks for the cirque sled inside info, foggy.

I think a WP/MJ mini sounds fun, I'd be down.

And yes, if the cirque is open, you can hike it. Great terrain, beautiful, but short pitches.