Thread: Jazz Fest 2014

Jazz Fest 2014

wow, might have to shoot for the second weekend...but first ain't no slouch! link.

FRIDAY, APRIL 25

Santana, The Avett Brothers, Public Enemy, Jason Isbell, Rubén Blades & Roberto Delgado Orchestra, Laura Mvula, Irvin Mayfield & the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Gregory Porter, The Infamous Stringdusters,++++++

SATURDAY, APRIL 26

Phish, Robin Thicke, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, Boz Scaggs, Keb' Mo', Anders Osborne, The Mavericks, Kermit Ruffins & the Barbecue Swingers, Branford Marsalis Quartet, Jon Cleary, Davell Crawford, Big Freedia, Sonny Landreth, +++

SUNDAY, APRIL 27

Eric Clapton, Vampire Weekend, Charlie Wilson, Irma Thomas, North Mississippi Allstars, John Hiatt, Tab Benoit, Rebirth Brass Band, Sixto Rodriguez, Rachelle Ferrell, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Galactic, John Boutté, Bombino, The Rance Allen Group, Bonerama, Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. & the Zydeco Twisters, Chocolate Milk, Ms. Ruby Wilson's Tribute to Bessie Smith, Meschiya Lake & the Little Big Horns,++++++

THURSDAY, MAY 1

The String Cheese Incident, Lyle Lovett, Solange, Marcia Ball, Bernard Allison Group, Buckwheat Zydeco, Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio, Sleepy Man Banjo Boys, Donald Harrison, The Soul Rebels, Greensky Bluegrass, Spencer Taylor & the Highway QC's, New Orleans Suspects, A Tribe Called Red, +++++

FRIDAY, MAY 2

Christina Aguilera, Chaka Khan, Alabama Shakes, Pharoah Sanders, Walter "Wolfman" Washington & the Roadmasters, Charles Bradley & his Extraordinaires, Amanda Shaw & the Cute Guys, Alejandro Escovedo & The Sensitive Boys, Johnnyswim, The Gospel Soul of Irma Thomas, New Orleans Classic R&B Divas feat. The Dixie Cups, Wanda Rouzan, and Jean Knight, Cowboy Mouth,++++++

SATURDAY, MAY 3

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Trey Songz, Foster the People, Al Jarreau, Allen Toussaint, Mary Mary, Johnny Winter, The Head and the Heart, Better Than Ezra, The Revivalists, Imagination Movers, Roy Rogers & the Delta Rhythm Kings, Ellis Marsalis, Jon Batiste and Stay Human, Dwayne Dopsie & the Zydeco Hellraisers, Marc Broussard, Voice of the Wetlands Allstars,+++++

SUNDAY, MAY 4

Arcade Fire, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, John Fogerty, Bobby Womack, Delbert McClinton, Chick Corea & the Vigil, Aaron Neville, the Radiators, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk with special guest Art Neville, Maze feat. Frankie Beverly, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, The Terence Blanchard Group, Robert Earl Keen, Pres Hall Brass, Big Sam's Funky Nation, George Porter, Jr. & the Runnin' Pardners,+++++++
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

being the phish head that i am, and that i've not made it to jazzfest before, we decided to book it this year, for the first weekend. yeehaw!

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    being the phish head that i am, and that i've not made it to jazzfest before, we decided to book it this year, for the first weekend. yeehaw!
    nice! Since you'll likely want to post up early Saturday at the Acura Stage for the phish show, hopefully you'll have both fri and sun to wander and take in the full JF experience...

if you haven't tripped over it, this is a pretty strong forum for all things JazzFest. And this is a great website for info and tips on attending...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Wow!!!!!
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Christina Aguilera at Jazzfest? Whoa!

Good looking line ups. Wish I could hit it!

I was looking at the lineup earlier today. Looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Christina Aguilera at Jazzfest? Whoa!

Good looking line ups. Wish I could hit it!
    Might miss that day, turns out there's another local option that Friday, FiyaFest. Plus the Drive-By Truckers are playing fri/sat night at the Civic Theater...may do that combo on Friday, JazzFest Thurs/Sat/Sun...

If you're heading to second weekend and haven't bought fest tickets yet, hit me up.

I picked up a pair of VIP style passes that I'm just going to use the first weekend and will sell them for the 2nd weekend.

Passes include private entrance, shade, food, re-entry, etc.

Stoked!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    same.... got the chance to take the wife and I this year.... just not sure if funds allow... bunch of us are working to rent a house for the first weekend. Not nailed down yet but hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    same.... got the chance to take the wife and I this year.... just not sure if funds allow... bunch of us are working to rent a house for the first weekend. Not nailed down yet but hoping.
    friends have done pretty well off of airbnb around the Marigny/Bywater area. I went the other direction, the Motel 6 on old gentilly. 15 minute easy bus ride down Broad street to the fairgrounds. Sketch neighborhood but i only plan on sleeping there...[$55/night]. Flights aren't easy either...

^^^^ nice, I left it up to my buddy to do leg work and send me bill..... you going both weekends?

just second at this point, but may get in as early as tuesday due to flights...Which would be great, to have a day to just play tourist/diner and not feel like i only have to go to Fest...Both weekends are really strong this year.

Well this is shaping up nicely. Had already planned on taking Friday off from the Fest, with all due respect to Christina Aguilera. First i grabbed a front-row balcony seat for the Drive-By Truckers at the oldest theater in New Orleans, first set starts at 10pm.

Then saw a riverboat party [holds 600+] with Rahzel (The Roots), Eric Krasno (Lettuce, Soulive), Nikki Glaspie (Dumpstaphunk, The Nth Power), Jesus Coomes (Lettuce), Ian Neville (Dumpstaphunk), Nigel Hall (The Nth Power), Ryan Zoidis (Lettuce), James Casey (Lettuce, Trey Anastasio Band), Eric Bloom (Lettuce), David Shaw (The Revivalists), and Borahm Lee (Break Science). Goes from 9-11, just in time for the DBT's second set, only six blocks up Canal Street.

THEN, today, they announced the lineup for FiyaFest, which will be from noon til the boat party. Check out this lineup! What a music-packed day!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiyafest.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	151540

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Well this is shaping up nicely. Had already planned on taking Friday off from the Fest, with all due respect to Christina Aguilera. First i grabbed a front-row balcony seat for the Drive-By Truckers at the oldest theater in New Orleans, first set starts at 10pm.

Then saw a riverboat party [holds 600+] with Rahzel (The Roots), Eric Krasno (Lettuce, Soulive), Nikki Glaspie (Dumpstaphunk, The Nth Power), Jesus Coomes (Lettuce), Ian Neville (Dumpstaphunk), Nigel Hall (The Nth Power), Ryan Zoidis (Lettuce), James Casey (Lettuce, Trey Anastasio Band), Eric Bloom (Lettuce), David Shaw (The Revivalists), and Borahm Lee (Break Science). Goes from 9-11, just in time for the DBT's second set, only six blocks up Canal Street.

THEN, today, they announced the lineup for FiyaFest, which will be from noon til the boat party. Check out this lineup! What a music-packed day!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiyafest.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	151540
    Wow! I'd need a week to recover from that. Wish I was goin!

holy shit, second weekend continues to deliver! Tribute to Dr. John here: link

gregg allman
    tab benoit
    ryan bingham
    the blind boys of alabama
    chief monk boudreaux
    the dirty dozen brass band
    bill kreutzmann
    chuck leavell
    shannon mcnally
    zigaboo modeliste
    sarah morrow
    cyril neville
    anders osborne
    george porter jr.
    mavis staples
    allen toussaint
    lucinda williams
    irma thomas
    jimmie vaughan
    widespread panic

Just scored the VIP ticket to FiyaFest, includes:
    - Access to the VIP Mansion Stage exclusive solo performances and the Fiya Dept VIP balcony in the ballroom
    - Premium food included
    - 4 Free drinks or beer
    - Crawfish, boiled on site
    - Access to all Flame Stage and River Stage performances

stoked!!!!

You're gonna have just a little bit of fun.

man, I'm getting tired just thinking about all that!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    man, I'm getting tired just thinking about all that!
    i've never been particularly good at 'pacing' myself at other than full speed ahead.

but i have a plan. Water. Never really drank much of it on party days, gonna give it a try...

sounds like a great trip Tye.... have a good one. had to bail out on our plans.... too much money that I would rather spend on other things. would be a great trip though.

pacing is for race tracks....

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    sounds like a great trip Tye.... have a good one. had to bail out on our plans.... too much money that I would rather spend on other things. would be a great trip though.

pacing is for race tracks....
    Thanks, guess i'll stick with the 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead' method of 'pacing'...

Yeah, it's adding up fast. If it wasn't for using miles to get there and staying at a crack hotel for $44/night, I wouldn't have a chance at it either...

FKNA dude - have fun.

Good news, they moved stuff around and The Boss now has over three hours, instead of less than two!

Better news, anybody can join this raffle: http://www.threadheadraffle.org/

Has some cool stuff, and ALL of the proceeds benefit New Orleans music and musicians!

for you poor fuckers that won't be there, here is a list of stations streaming for free...