Silicon Valley Billionaire Battles Surfers Over Beach Access....

Silicon Valley Billionaire Battles Surfers Over Beach Access

http://blogs.kqed.org/science/audio/...-beach-access/

I hope surfrider wins this one, but I can see the other side. If I was super rich and bought an awesome stretch of land, I'd close the one road in so I would not have to watch me get naked and change into my wetsuit. Still, if access is granted, this pretty much means martin's will be done. Now everyone will know about it, including all the internet surfers

I'm not sure this is such a huge loss. It's a pretty shitty break that was rarely worth the $10 to park. I am not pro beach closure, as the precedent could be dangerous, but it's not like someone trying to clamp off Malibu or Trestles. Even if people flock, they won't find much. I'd rather see the coastal commission put their time and assets into keeping the state beaches open.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

I pretty much there with you. Seems like a personal issue for one person taking up valuable resources. I've been seeing it pop up all over social media, with some folks getting all up in arms.

While it is a pretty meh break, it does have a fun little bowl and can make something from very little swell. We never paid the $10. Just parked up on route 1 and walked down. But that said, we only surfed it when it was empty, as the break really can only handle 2-5 people.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    as the precedent could be dangerous
    This one is interesting, because of the pre-US California Mexican thing. I don't think it's likely at all to set any terrible precedent because the of that Mexican land grant issue. The only other time I've heard of that coming into play is Pueblo water rights (look it up), and in that instance, the law is pretty settled. The City of L.A. litigated it way back when and that's why they have the rights to ALL the runoff from the entire watershed upstream of the old Los Angeles pueblo site.

As it pertains to beaches, there's not a lot of places it's going to apply. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Khosla deliberately had his real estate lackeys find a piece of property where the Public Trust Doctrine didn't apply so he, legally, really could argue that nobody can access it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Precedent

^^^^ thats the key to this whole Issue. If the Costal Commision lets this guy win this one Im sure threr are several more people in the same boat who would have the cash to go back to court and win.
    It only takes one case and it can change all the others.
    it may be a shitty break and it may be small but it has been used by the community for years -precedent

Even if the guy closed the road people with boats should make a point of going there all day just to show the person who does own the beach.

I can tell you if He is sucessful there is one LARGE land holding that may also come into play

The Ranch

I have gone in by boat , hit the beach below High tide line and still the Holister guard tried to run us off.

I'm pretty sure the guys with boats that can access martins for an easy day trip are drinking buddies with this guy.

I see your point.

But then, is he required to maintain the road for public use and offer parking? Or just an access trail? I'm pretty sure the previous owners also had a concessions down there at one point. What about that?

I do find this interesting, and fully support access. And I bet light ranger is right. I would be a pretty great spot to have to ones self with easy beach access via a single way in.

I wonder this. If he bought the lab and built a resort down there, would he still be required to offer public parking? Could he determine the price?

Anyway. Gotta go. We are headed to the beach.

only thing that is required is beach access. No parking lot and no road. Just a clear path for the public to get to the beach. You know the signs Im talking about. LaJolla is where I see them a lot. WindanSea also. Two big nice houses with a footpath to the beach and a sign that says "public Access" Thats all He can be forced to provide

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ma...or-now_118358/

Wonder how much those permits go for?

No, fuck this douche. It's not just about surfing.

If I was a billionaire I'd be a cool billionaire and hold surf contests down there for everyone and donate prizes for some local groms that need some help. This guy is a loser.

If I were a billionaire I'd buy all the waves and give them out to only cool cats, as defined by me.

If I had a billion dollar I wouldn't give a fuck about anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

If I were a billionaire, I'd install some massive fans to blow some fucking wind offshore at OB and make the place surfable for the first time in six fucking months!

Done. Your welcome. No stfu and go get some. Even made it warm for ya.

Six months and you couldn't get it to line up???

Billionaires ( like charlie ) don't surf.

Talk to the folks around crystal cove for a real ass reaming.

PS-Hot,semi off shore made Horseshoes pretty good today. Funny to see knee boarders and spongers ripping harder than 99% of the "surfers" out there. And for MethFishWhiteDildo-board shorts only at 6am. Anybody else see that rocket contrail over la jolla this am?

if i had a billion I wouldnt be anywhere close to california,
    rodneyeyeye were you ripping on a sponge too? jaja

I oddly find myself wishing the fool was a billionaire. Would you also stop posting? Although you do such a great job using google to share te Interwebz with us here.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    If I had a billion dollar I wouldn't give a fuck about anything

That's called "Fuck you money"
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!