Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Look what I found in Lake City

The old A-1 lift from A-Basin moved in 1965. No idea how long it ran there but prob since the 30's.

How old are lifts 7 & 7A at Taos? Probably not terribly old, but they look original. Always dig riding those, feels like skiing in a different era.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    "the big chair" at Norquay, in banff, alberta is 65 years old this year. Fixed grip double, that gets you to 1300vertical ft of just black (double black) terrain.

I'm sure that some small hill out east must still have some old school lifts running still?
    That is an awesome lift...happy that it is still there. I don't know any lifts in Quebec or in the Eastern ski areas south of the border that even close to that. The Mad River Glen single from 1949 was refurbished with many components changed in 2007. The next oldest chair I think was the old Spruce double at Stowe which was changed maybe 10 years ago. That double was from 1954, I believe.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Fine point: The MRG single was built in 1948 and MRG's official history indicates it spun in an opening ceremony on Dec. 11, but it didn't carry skiers until they finally got enough snow to open on Jan. 28, 1949.

Detailed history of the MRG single by the engineer who designed the rebuild, including this reproduced in full to give a real good idea of what the old singles were made of:

A glimpse at what goes into building one, October 2007:

If I may I'd like to close this blog with an early selfie, Feb. 2008

Lake City chair went into service 1947.

Everytime I ride the Powderhorn chair at Solitude, it feels like I'm riding the oldest chairlift in the world. But it's only 3 years old.
    [X] Grind on the mind.

Love the single at mrg. Glad they decided to refurbish Instead of replace. Feels like your stepping back in time. A time where u actually talked to fellow ski bums on the hill, hooting an cheering on pow days, and time to just enjoy the "mtns" . Keeps many ppl away too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

"the big chair" at Norquay, in banff, alberta is 65 years old this year. Fixed grip double, that gets you to 1300vertical ft of just black (double black) terrain.
    I love that chair. I have never been able to eat in the teahouse up there, but I got to check out the view last year. Man that's nice.

Another old Riblet chair bites the dust. The High Campbell chair (an old Riblet two-seater) got taken out by a control avalanche yesterday after skiing was closed for the day. Ski Patrol was bombing the throne when it released to dirt and creamed the bottom terminal. Fortunately, no one was around the base when it released, no one hurt.

Chair 6 came (mostly) from the old Mount Pilchuck chair.

http://mountpilchuck.com/lodgehistory2.htm .

So it dates from 1963. But it's not in the running for oldest.
    My wife grew up skiing @ Crustal and our house was somber last night.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Did it go from Pilchuck to Yodelin? According to what I've read, Crystal got the chair after Yodelin went banko following the 1971 avalanche that failed it.

I put this in this thread, not because it being in the running for the oldest but for it being an old Riblet.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    A bit OT, but has anyone ridden that lift that links the 2 'peaks' at Whitecap in Northern Sconny? Scariest goddamn lift ride ever. It doesn't go up, just across. At one point you're 200ft up on a rickety old double with no safety bar.
    Remember that chair Vividly! Probably the scariest chairlift I've ever ridden. It's still in action? (And no safety bar?)

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    A bit OT, but has anyone ridden that lift that links the 2 'peaks' at Whitecap in Northern Sconny? Scariest goddamn lift ride ever. It doesn't go up, just across. At one point you're 200ft up on a rickety old double with no safety bar.
    Yup. I rode it a lot and remember when they put it in. It does go up the S. side (St. George) but terminates at the top of the N. side. I never thought much about it, but loved skiing there.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Knob Chair at Marmot Basin in the Canadian Rockies 1976. Ongoing cock jokes since...

I love me some old riblet, taking me to my happy places all around the north west since '74

with the time spark one up
    embrace the gape
    and believe

I miss fixed grip double chairs..
    c'mon Down, D. :

upper Midwest is full of 'em !

Red Chair double 1971. Blue/Black double, errr.. triple 1961. Hope to be on them both soon.

Notice same towers. Chairs have been changed.

According to this

Boyne Mountain has continued use of the first chairlift built, originally constructed in Idaho in 1936 for use at a resort in Sun Valley, Idaho. The lift was later moved to Boyne Mountain where parts are still in use today.[3]

From wiki, Boyne Mountain is running the oldest chair evah... yrmv.

This would be the Hemlock chair...
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.