Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Where the hell is Orangegondola when you need him?!??
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The hardware tech at cominco told me the original chair was built with parts & expertise pilfered from cominco, everybody knew about it and everyone was in on it ... a community project
    That's what I have heard also.

Great old footage that shows the old single on Red, the original Granite chair and the now long gone Poma: http://www.youtube.com/user/spiritofred

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Mt. Eyak/SunValley chair would be way cool for my deck, but $2K plus shipping from Cordova...

One ride on that and I'd be amble to post in the"Most gripped" thread.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Mt Spokane oldest double. 68 years old and still in use.
    1946 The first double chair lift in the world is put into operation on the south face of the summit
    That chair only lasted about three years or so. Chair 1 was placed in 1955 so only 59 years old.

The original wooden towered, single chaired Red Mountain chairlift was built in 1947. It was replaced with the "new" Mueller double chair in 1974.

Monarch Mountain officially started as a ski area in 1939, although people had been skiing the mountains surrounding the valley for as far back as 1914. Monarch was built by Works Project Administration workers, and then given to the city of Salida. A 500' rope tow powered by a gear box from an old oil derrick and a Chevy engine ran from what is now the parking lot to the top of Gunbarrel, at the time only half its current length.

The "bullwheel" and some cable is all that's left. The trees to the left were very sweet yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Wait a minute wasn't the double at West originally built in the 1800s for cargo use over a particular deadly pass on the Oregon Trail?

Oldest working chair in NA if I remember correctly.
    I don't know where West is or anything about that chair but I wouldn't doubt that there are some chairlifts of that nature. Many were just jerry-rigged old tramways that the locals modified to become chairlifts. The first specifically purposed double chairlift, though, was built by Riblet. Riblet also got their start with tramway systems for mining operations so, not a stretch to believe old-timers did whatever to make various up-transport systems for their new-fangled ski hills.

The original lift 1 at aspen was built in the 40s from re purposed mining equipment. Replaced in the 70s though.

What about europe? Gotta be some older ones there. Theres probably a tram still running there that predates any N American lift?>
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post

Great old footage that shows the old single on Red, the original Granite chair and the now long gone Poma: http://www.youtube.com/user/spiritofred
    Back in the 80's the HW guy who had been at cominco for 41 years told me back in the day he got a bill for something so he went to accounting and asked whatsup cuz he worked for IBM not cominco the woman said "oh don't worry about that its for the chair lift" obviously some creative accounting

If you ever met any of "The old bastards" at red they were pretty cool
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post

Those videos are great! My first trip to Red was in 1971 or so and I still remember thinking the Red chair was pretty funky, kind of cool with the wood towers and single chairs. What I really vividly remember, though, is riding the Granite Chair and nearly shitting myself when we went over the gully. It seemed like we were 200' off the ground. It absolutely scared the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    What about europe? Gotta be some older ones there. Theres probably a tram still running there that predates any N American lift?>
    Not Europe obviously but the tram at Cannon Mtn. NH dates from 1938. Rebuilt in 1980 though. The Skimobile at Cranmore NH was also from 1938, gone now though. Very funky thing:

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    How old is big chief or 7th at Stevens
    Barrier- 1952-1996
    Blue Jay- 1960-1998
    7th- 1960 (shortened 1996 & new lower terminal, drive equipment?)
    Big Chief- 1964 (still all original AFAIK)
    Brooks- 1968 (still all original AFAIK)

*From the 75th Anniversary book

First season I skied at Stevens was the last year barrier was there. I almost forgot that it wasn't always Skyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Mt Baldy's main lift goes back to 1952. Slow as fuck and now crowded with Mexicans going for 1/2 days trips up to frolic in the snow...when there's snow.

Daniel Ortega eats here.

Huh....I remember that chair. I rode it in the summer of 1982 to go up hiking on a hot August day. Looks funny now, thirty-two years later.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    nice, so it got moved, but is 75 years old....

"Mount Eyak is currently serviced by a single chairlift (as well as the rope tow). The chairlift was purchased from Sun Valley, Idaho, and transported by train to Seattle, then by ferry to Cordova. The Sheridan Ski Club painted the towers and repaired the chairs before the army used its helicopters to put the towers in place in 1974.[2] The single chair lift was originally constructed in 1939 and serviced Bald Mountain. It is the oldest working chairlift in North America "
    This is why I'm pissed that Alyeska can't run their 50 year old chair 1 because its "to old" I'd rather have it than the tram...
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I just watched an older Warren Miller flick, and was reminded of the old single at Boyne Mountain in northern Michigan. The lift was purchased from Sun Valley, and was the first lift in the Midwest. It was sold and replaced with a double which is still in use. No idea where the single ended up.

Maybe this was from the same era as the single at Eyak?

i was told years ago that the lift at the hill i started skiing on (another mt. baldy, in ontario) was put up sometime in the late 30s or early 40s. not sure if that's true or not.

that's the lift in '63 anyway. it's definitely still trucking along today.

A bit OT, but has anyone ridden that lift that links the 2 'peaks' at Whitecap in Northern Sconny? Scariest goddamn lift ride ever. It doesn't go up, just across. At one point you're 200ft up on a rickety old double with no safety bar.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If you ever met any of "The old bastards" at red they were pretty cool
    True dat. I met one of them riding the chair, and did a lap with him on paradise. At that point, one of them had passed, and (although he didn't let on) they were preparing to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Mt Baldy's main lift goes back to 1952. Slow as fuck and now crowded with Mexicans going for 1/2 days trips up to frolic in the snow...when there's snow.
    Upland, represent! Ski in the morning, skate at the pipeline in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro83 View Post
    i was told years ago that the lift at the hill i started skiing on (another mt. baldy, in ontario) was put up sometime in the late 30s or early 40s. not sure if that's true or not.

that's the lift in '63 anyway. it's definitely still trucking along today.
    That is an old Riblet chair, no older than the fifties.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    That is an old Riblet chair, no older than the fifties.
    i've been corrected! i just went to their website, and i noticed the hill's only been in operation since '49 anyway. strange that it was an oldtimer who told me that the lift/ski hill had been around since the early 40s.

point is, that old lift is a reliable BEAST.

I wanna know when the lift at skiland was built... bbecause it feels ooooold.

They do rent strait skis and rear entry boots! and have the farthest north chairlift in North America

http://www.skiland.org/
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro83 View Post
    i've been corrected! i just went to their website, and i noticed the hill's only been in operation since '49 anyway. strange that it was an oldtimer who told me that the lift/ski hill had been around since the early 40s.

point is, that old lift is a reliable BEAST.
    Yeah, there's still a lot of those things around, chugging away.

very cool info everyone. thanks