Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hiking/travel backpack?

Anyone got one they absolutely love?

Here's the deal. I'm going on a 2 week trip from London to Morocco. I do not want to bring a wheelie bag or check anything so I would like to carry everything in this bag. I will probably only be bringing limited clothes, camera with one lens, maybe two and no laptop. I will be moving most of the time and only staying in one place a night or two at a time.

I have no dedicated packs of size anymore that aren't pretty strictly camera bags. So I need a real travel/hiking backpack. Flat loading instead of the cavernous hiking types would be appreciated.

Anyone got a bag they just throw on their back and head into the yonder for weeks on end? I only have two flights and going home is no big deal but since I will be moving, I would hate to lose a checked bag on the flight to start the trip.

Thanks
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

business friend has this one and loves it, he and I both travel internationally and I have to admit, looks easier than the shit I drag around. It has wheels but also back pack. I've been too cheap to spend this coin as I buy my bags at garage sales or thrift stores....

http://www.ebags.com/product/timbuk2...uctid=10257039

Osprey fit is great.

I have this pack and recommend it, it was my home for 9 weeks two summers ago across Europe and regularly sees overnight and day trips.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/kestrel_48

I had this mini day pack for zipping around town when I had a place to lock up the Osprey
    -it worked great

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Pa...+creek+daypack

Have a great trip! It should be beautiful
    Last edited by DeathVan; 01-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.

I use a small duffel for what you're talking about. It doesn't work well if I want to hike with it, but I find it fits more stuff for the size and is easier to load/unload than any of my similar sized backpacks. Usually I put my gear in the duffel and and then take a small backpack with my laptop/camera/book in it as my personal item.

If I hike, I take the backpack. When I'm not bringing the backpack (basically when I don't need my laptop), I throw the floating lid of my backpacking pack into the duffel as it converts to a waistpack. I use that to carry water/camera when I hike.

2nd the Osprey stuff. I only have their full on hiking stuff, but it is incredibly well made and durable. At 12 years old, my 65l pack could pass for brand new if it wasn't so dirty. I've never pulled the trigger on the fancier bags, as I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost, but if I ever needed one, I wouldn't hesitate.

That being said, with the wife and kid in tow, I use two big Ful brand rolling duffles we bought at costco. They were about $50 each and have worked out great. Plenty of pockets and zippered dividers. Several trips to yurp later, they are totally unscathed. Not a bad alternative for 1/8 the price of the osprey stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

hire a sherpa.
    b

I picked up an eagle creek pack about a decade ago before my first big multi month solo euro trip. It was perfect for my needs - I could run to catch a train with it on, negotiate tiny stair cases, walk all over all day long if needed. I wouldn't have wanted anything bigger. I met so many other travelers who always lamented they brought too much stuff and wanted to just have a lighter pack. The model has changed, but looks very similar to the eagle creek rincon vita 65L. Highly recommended.

Pack that is truly hikable (support, stays, real waist belt), or a duffle with backpack straps?

If the latter, I have a North Face travel duffle pack with removable backpack straps, that I quite like. Makes it easy to carry if you have to walk awhile, but nowhere near the support that a real backpack-type pack would provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Pack that is truly hikable (support, stays, real waist belt), or a duffle with backpack straps?
    I was hoping there was something that blurred the lines between the two.

I have a roller, and plenty of camera bags I just wanted something I could go light with, would be comfortable to wear all day and that would fit necessities. I won't be going on any overnight hikes with this thing on this trip, but portability of my belongings is vitally important as I will be on my feet, on and off trains and ferry's quite a lot. The packing and unpacking on the traveling will be shower up and put my shit away and leave as I only have a couple of stops for more than a night.

I use the osprey Ozone: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...l?tab=features.

its the fucking bomb...daypack is very solid. hip belt. internal frame. venting. the whole deal.

This has suited me fine in CA and Africa.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/bla...frame~p~1006p/

Does not meet your flat load requirement, but I personally like that some one can't open my pack and find something expensive easily. I use a REI Flash 18 as a stuff sack/day pack if staying in one place for awhile. Fit is airline overheads with ease. (Either orientation wrt the bin).

It doesn't fit much so a clothes washing session is usual after 5 days or so.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I was hoping there was something that blurred the lines between the two.
    I actually have the perfect bag--it's a Mountain Smith that has shoulder straps & a waist strap--they zip into the back should one want them to disappear; also has a removable over-the-shoudler strap (which I never use) so it becomes a duffel bag. Pushes the very limit of carry-on size--probably over, but I've never had an issue. Perfectly comfortable as a backpack and it has four cinches to smash everything in. Alas, I went to their website and couldn't find it.

Found it! http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mou...kpack~p~85615/

Packs are like shoes in that you need one that fits. Go to teh local REI/outdoor megastore and try on a bunch with some weight and see what's comfortable.

and EDIT: Tech Talk Jong
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

That Mountain Smith looks great. After choosing the wrong luggage and bringing too much crap with me to Israel, I'm hot for this bag: http://topodesigns.com/collection/travel-bag/ - they have a mini backpack that clips right on, too: http://topodesigns.com/collection/trip-pack/
    You can choose less conspicuous colors. I've handled these at a local shop in SF and they seem sturdy.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Another way to go would be Go Ruck - super tough, thoughtfully made gear, but a military style bag may not be the attention you want in some parts of the world. I'd think the GR2 would work, plus with the molles you can attach extra modules for lenses, dop kit, etc. http://www.goruck.com/en/gr2
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Osprey Transporter. Pick your size, duffel with straps to carry like a pack.

Don't over pack.

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/12/the_...pid_date_ever/

Most recent trip was two weeks to eastern Canada in September and I took a 22L pack that can expand to 26L.

Pack smart and take less stuff, if you are constantly on the move you'll appreciate the light load, never needing to leave your pack in lock up somewhere, and slipping seamlessly through the crowd.

I love my F-Stop Tilopa. It's lightweight for how supportive and protective it is. It fits in the carry-on bin. It accepts internal camera units of varying size, so you could get a smaller one for your trip when you carry a bunch of clothes. I've done carry-over routes on Rainier with it, taken it travelling around Europe, and sometimes even use it without a camera when climbing/skiing around here, just because it carries nicer than my non-photo packs. A little pricey, but it's worth it for a nice pack that can double as a photo bag and hiking bag.

Everyone who has said Osprey is spot on. Best made travel bags I have ever used. One of my Osprey duffels w/ backpack straps has been around the world at least three times, and still looks new after 6 years. When I buy other brands they only last me a year or two.

Based on the needs of the OP I'd go with the Farpoint series - Farpoint 40 to be exact.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/...arpoint_series

Just don't buy a wheeled bag that converts to a backpack. Nothing could be more ghey. Be a man and carry the fuckin bag.
    Last edited by GeoMatt; 01-11-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMatt View Post
    Just don't buy a wheeled bag that converts to a backpack. Nothing could be more ghey. Be a man and carry the fuckin bag.
    Love my Osprey backpack/duffel... had it for many years and fits in the overhead bin, too. Great stuff.

Sounds like a good trip S. Look forward a TR.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Don't over pack....never needing to leave your pack in lock up somewhere, and slipping seamlessly through the crowd.
    This.

You dont want to travel with a backpack full of "souveniers", like 4L bottle of sambuca from italy, 13kg stone cross from france and a wheel of manchego cheese from spain.
    You cant fit the pack anywhere, be it bus, train or some box and carrying it around in 42c´in andalucia will be a bioootch.

Cant say much of the newer backpacks. I still have military issue Karrimor Condor 60-100L I have had since 1990.
    I think I have had 500+ days with it and it is basically new. So, at least the older carrimor packs are indestructible. The new ones look ok-ish, especially the alpine
    and the SF series. They are a bit armylooking but as you basically look like ex special forces//rapist you could buy extra immunity with that...

Have carried few Norrona & arcteryx packpacks, both bigger and smaller and they are ok.

Get a pack in the 40-50L range so you actually think what you pack and dont end up lugging 20kgs around in the heat.
    I have done quite a few of the 1-3 week trips in the erup with my skipack, arcteryx khamski (45L?) and it has been perfect.
    You can fit 2-3 sets of thin clothes,books,laptop,cameras in it and it carries well. The best is that you can carry in the overhead bins
    in the busses/trains without the people bitching about it, that minimizes the risk that you have to leave put in the undercarriage
    of the bus or leave by the doorstash that you have on the trains. That ups the risk that it will get nicked at some point.
    Always travel so you can actually see your bag and if someone pops ups suddenly with a map to ask for directions or whatnot, know
    that you are about to part with your belongings... Geezers usually work in teams of 2-3 so one acts as a distractor, one as a blocker
    and the third guy/gal nicks your shit.
    If you move around with a big pack in the city/subway (prolly drunk/hangover) it will stand out like a fucking beacon.

And, last, never stash anything valuable in the side/upper/lower pockets of your backpack. Tourons do that regulary, and the
    technique is to slash those spots open with a razor and empty them without you knowing what has happened before it is too late.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    especially coupled with the distraction. some chick/dude harassing you, agressively, while the compatriot takes shit out of your pack. works really well with backpacks. the thing about all of the 'travel' packs mentioned here is they've alot of weight (3+lbs) for what you are getting. An ultralight pack, and a camerabag to protect your shit inside weighs way less and works just as well. It's 2014, you don't need to carry tons of shit for the basics.
    In other words, if you were just as fucking rad as Hugh, you wouldnt have this or any other problem. See, Hugh is so damn savy, he doesnt need much stuff. His bag doesn't weigh shit. Cuz Hugh's not goin' anywhere.... Cept here. Bitchin and loathing. Making sure you know that he knows that he knows everything. Damn. I wish I could roll so smooth like that...

Thanks for all the req's folks. I have a ton to go through. Trips not till May so I have time.

Was kind of thinking of emptying out the photo crap from an old Dakine Sequence I have (pre-camera block) and using that. It basically fits most requirements but has a lot of extraneous straps and shit.

I'll look into everything everyone posted.

Thanks.

Mission Workshop makes some nice bags that may fit the bill. The Vandal is 64L at max expansion, but zips down to lower profile and volume, and has optional, removable hip strap