Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shames ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Yah we were warned but didn't listen.
    And I must correct you on another point. They actually invented the lentil , and then grew them. Avoid lentil dishes next time and everything should be alright. That is if they decide to open on that night. And if you have enough money in your bank account to even afford it.

Yeah, so back eddie's ok, mr mike's basic but ok and elephant's ear makes a mean breakfast sandy. Hot house is not too bad either.

But really... anyone reading this board will be coming for the skiing right?! christ we're talking rural northern British Columbia here so please leave your iron chef sensibilities at home and bring your snorkel.

PS sombada's is pretty good Greek. New owners though so scotsman can't hit on the elderly rotund busty Greek woman anymore. Sorry mate
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Haryanna' s is a must if you come from smithers because there is no EI food here and to be fair the cook in that kitchen looks like somebodies VERY OLD mom ... its a wonder they open at all

BTW there are 2 cheap motels right there, one at Haryanna's and right next door .

Somebody told me there was good EI food in a hotel down town (one of the chains?)forgot the name
    edit:bestwestern??

and as gary points out yer in the north where the lack of choice ... just makes everything easier
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-14-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    PS sombada's is pretty good Greek. New owners though so scotsman can't hit on the elderly rotund busty Greek woman anymore. Sorry mate
    Nooooooooooo.....

please leave your iron chef sensibilities at home and bring your snorkel.
    T-shirt worthy.

If our season doesn't pick up, and stay picked up, we might have to come and visit you again Gary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Here's another one for you that I just found out is accommodating people in winter

http://www.zboatbc.com/

Brad and Kim Zeerip run the lodge. Brad's skis a lot and big plus is that you probably can get some background out of him about the terrain. They're right on the Skeena which is probably more important for fishing than skiing but close to everything too

bz@zboatbc.com is the email

'
    What...? Damn....she had a crush on me!
    There's always the bar in the Great Western where last time , the barmaid showed me a dented aluminum water jug she had hit a patron of said bar over the head with the previous night!
    Good times.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Luck that other patron satisfied her needs or you might have been brained with the water jug and dragged out behind the dumpster for a sound shaggin' as well.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Sounds like a time is/was being had up there.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Nooooooooooo.....

T-shirt worthy.

If our season doesn't pick up, and stay picked up, we might have to come and visit you again Gary.
    Haha, yeah sorry for the Scottish one. Head up anytime PNWB. Place is yours. May be a little reno going on but should be ok. Too bad about your conditions buddy. I'm heading to yurp tommorrow and hear they're about to be nuked on in the alps
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I'm heading to yurp tommorrow and hear they're about to be nuked on in the alps
    Where are you going?

fucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Innsbruck and environs. Hope to get a couple of days touring, bunch of hill days at different resorts, take in the Hahnenkamm, drink wiesbier, eat schnitzel...

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I'll be around shames and looking for touring people.jan 25 to Feb 3Rd.

What are snow levels like in the area, thinking of doing a trip up there in the near near future. Wondering how far down till I'm walking.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    What are snow levels like in the area, thinking of doing a trip up there in the near near future. Wondering how far down till I'm walking.
    Snow is disappearing fast in town if that's what you're asking about. There's 150 cm at the daylodge. Be forewarned temps have been springlike for ten days so no pow like 2-3 weeks ago.

I am scheduled to fly into Terrace on Wednesday. Last 2 weeks + weekend forecast = unattractive.

should I bump my trip a couple weeks and gamble that monster high pressure gets pushed out? Or not sweat it and just come up this week and enjoy the burnished fineries of Terrace / Shames?

Hoping for feedback from a local, not some asshole in Ohio.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Bump and gamble. The fineries will still be here and hopefully spring will have disappeared by then.

Yup - bump it. This high can't last forever

Wurd. Prau for snow. I will be moving to live sacrifices soon.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using TGR Forums
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Ditto on the bumpage. Spring skiing conditions in Smithers as well. LATE spring conditions to be more precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Spring skiing conditions in Smithers as well. LATE spring conditions to be more precise.
    Yep. Inbounds groomers were ok till about lunch, steeper ungroomed runs were a pleasant mix of crust,slush,crud and slop.

OB starting to look real boney.

Need snow.

Flights cancelled, will try again in 3 or 4 weeks. I am too snobby to ski isothermic snow and/or ACL crusts in January in Canada. Seems unnatural.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Flights cancelled, will try again in 3 or 4 weeks. I am too snobby to ski isothermic snow and/or ACL crusts in January in Canada. Seems unnatural.
    Come check out Hankin Backcountry ski area when you make it up. 1.5 hours east of Terrace. It ain't Shames but it's a pretty cool concept. Be happy to show you around.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Come check out Hankin Backcountry ski area when you make it up. 1 and 3/4 hours east of Terrace. It ain't Shames but it's a pretty cool place. Be happy to show you around.

Well, this sucks

http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/

Special Public Avalanche Warning for Most of BC’s Mountainous Regions
    Canadian Avalanche Centre warns of significant potential for large,
    destructive avalanches in forecast regions
    Feb 20, 2014, Revelstoke, BC: The Canadian Avalanche Centre (CAC) is issuing a special public avalanche warning for recreational backcountry users in all of the CAC’s forecast regions, except the North Shore Mountains and the Yukon. This warning is in effect immediately and extends to the end of the day on Wednesday, February 26.
    The problem is a result of the extended dry period of late January and early February, explains Karl Klassen, Manager of the CAC’s Public Avalanche Warning Service. “That long drought left the surface of the snowpack in very bad shape,” says Klassen. “Now the new snow is sitting on one of the worst weak layers we’ve seen in a few years. That weakness is currently anywhere between one and two metres deep so when it’s triggered, the resulting avalanches are very large.”
    The problem layer is widespread and with a weather forecast calling for clearing skies, the CAC is urging recreational backcountry users to be very conservative in their terrain choices. “There’s a lot of pent-up demand for powder after that dry spell but this weak layer is going to be a problem for the foreseeable future,” says Klassen. “Staying safe will require patience and discipline as long as this layer is in play.” The weak layer will likely persist after this warning expires and recreationists are urged to stay cautious in avalanche terrain.
    Everyone in a backcountry party needs to carry an avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel and be well-practiced with their rescue skills. The CAC strongly recommends that backcountry users take an Avalanche Skills Training course, and check the avalanche bulletin regularly to keep informed of conditions in their area. More detailed information is also available on the CAC blogs and forecasts at ww.avalanche.ca/cac.
    —30—
    For more information
    Mary Clayton, CAC Communications Director
    Office: 250.837.2141 (228)
    Mobile: 250.837.1492

we better tread lightly out/up there

does the CAC have a page that gives incedent details? Looking for more info on The avalanche Wade was in and also the one near shames

pacific northwest mountain ranges have been pummeled with huge snow in a very short period of time, combined with the wind and pwl's there is much potential energy stored in that pack.
    eyes on your partner
    b