Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty1974 View Post
    was up there on Sunday and the guns were BOOMING...I don't know if the clouds made the sound travel more, but they sounded super close.
    they were yesterday morning as well. vis at the top of six was pretty bad too for awhile.

Breckenridge posted these images on their Facebook feed Dec. 25th. Clearly shows evidence of several good sized slides in the peak 6 area. Obviously the purpose of the pics was to showcase the Peak 6 opening not avalanches!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	622788_10152149654503664_78841140_o.jpg 
Views:	681 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	148173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1501601_10152149518148664_841088842_o.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	148174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1523482_10152131307888664_1639397177_o.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	148175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	737324_10152131307753664_2079255340_o.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	148176

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Only fatalities. Seriously.

Injuries are handled by the work comp carrier.

I have known of perhaps two dozen patrollers injured taking rides over 30 years. The numbers aren't as high for injuries as you would expect but they do happen. In 30 years I was caught in 3-5 large slides and perhaps another 10-12 small ones. Gotten banged up but never injured. Knock knock.

What the BSP is experiencing isn't unique, it is getting harder to find good people willing to hang their asses out for 13.00 an hour.

Management finds it difficult to justify paying those willing people more or paying for additional training when after 3-5 years they move on and take their experience with them to another career, one you can make a living at.
    I believe this is the result when a ski area is managed based on "earnings per share" dictated by analysts on Wall Street. The more ski areas the consolidators gobble up, the more you are going to see problems like this and $15 bowls of soup.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Everyone can say what they want, think, assume, or heard. This quote is the bottom line.

People used to move to a ski town, become a patroler and have a career for 10-20 years or a lifetime. In summit county there are probably a dozen or so lifetime SP left. Today they make a 2 year commitment mandatory for new hires. If they didn't it'd be a one and done type job and most split after their two years. Like any ski town people cycle through spending a year to three then leave "after the have done it and notched their belt." What used to be a solid job is now filled with the normal ski town turnover which doesn't help.

The sluts and crats (brilliant line By The Way) are mostly too chicken shit to explore the notion of seek and destroy behaviors as related to dangerous avy terrain. Because what if they get behind it and things still go to shit? Especially if the cost of control compromises or competes with the notion that riding a chairlift in the freezing cold, and wind justifies having brought your adulterous spouse and sniffling brat children all the way from Kalamazoo to spend a week at the time share. It seems to me they'd much rather use someone who has the smug factor dialed in to perfection, is imbued with cautionary tone, and doesn't realistically expect to ever know shit from Chynoble. The alternative of acquiring someone who's sacrificed many hours developing the ability to tread lightly on slabby terrain, and enabling them does not exist much.
    Above the fingers of death sits a delicate winter garden

I heard that member of BSP was recently termed for being overzealous with the ordnance, or causing a slide that ran too far. Probably just a long time local being JONG, but if it's true that sounds like some serious douchebaggery

I have known of perhaps two dozen patrollers injured taking rides over 30 years. The numbers aren't as high for injuries as you would expect but they do happen. In 30 years I was caught in 3-5 large slides and perhaps another 10-12 small ones. Gotten banged up but never injured. Knock knock.

What the BSP is experiencing isn't unique, it is getting harder to find good people willing to hang their asses out for 13.00 an hour.

Management finds it difficult to justify paying those willing people more or paying for additional training when after 3-5 years they move on and take their experience with them to another career, one you can make a living at.
    Try $10/hr. Got a job offer from BSP this year and was lined up to be another transient on the 2-3 year program, at most. Nobody's joining patrol to get rich, but $10/hr is crazy for someone with avalanche industry experience. Fact is, there are 100 people lined up behind you that are going to take that $10/hr job without hesitation. It's an employer's market, though cost and price are two very different things. You squeeze on price (of labor) at what cost? High turnover etc... Goal for me was blasting experience and daily operations/snow safety/mitigation work and a high volume of emergency medical calls. I'm told the amount of trauma seen on that hill is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    Try $10/hr.
    And the realities of the job have changed over the years, with more responsibilities and professionalism expected but not rewarded. Most resorts pay their lawyers and risk managers well, without acknowledging that the patrol is the front-line defense and deserves to be treated and paid as professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by travis View Post
    And the realities of the job have changed over the years, with more responsibilities and professionalism expected but not rewarded. Most resorts pay their lawyers and risk managers well, without acknowledging that the patrol is the front-line defense and deserves to be treated and paid as professionals.

Yep; at my last patrol the starting wage was 11.00 with the top end at around 16.00. I made up for it by building in other perks such as a 500.00 equipment allowance, a pair of skis every other season and I made damn sure my patrollers got to ski their asses off.

In addition I was right there with them doing nearly every shitty job that came up. My crew was happy and turnover was low. Be interesting to see what the rate is after this season. My guess is around 50%.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Yep; at my last patrol the starting wage was 11.00 with the top end at around 16.00. I made up for it by building in other perks such as I made damn sure my patrollers got to ski their asses off.

In addition I was right there with them doing nearly every shitty job that came up. My crew was happy and turnover was low.
    that seems to work at the hill i am a guest at.
    b

Posted today on FB:

"Arapahoe Basin Ski Area
    Think you got what it takes to patrol at the Legend? We're looking for a few good men and women for our volunteer patrol staff! Tryouts are two weeks from today on Saturday, January 25. Reserve your tryout spot by emailing Darla at mtndarla[at]aol[dot]com. Good luck, candidates!"

The chick in the OP's instagram post's username was hibeams. Does anyone have any pics of her headlights for verification?

Also, I don't remember a time where our good Central CO snowstorms have come in with this much wind. Anyone else?

Patrol for free!!! Bet you get a pass
    Pay the man that pays me

http://www.ever-ware.com/
    http://pmgear.com/
    http://freeridesystems.bigcartel.com/

lurking with a bag o dicks for you

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Patrol for free!!! Bet you get a pass
    Better than sitting on your couch eating douche filled eclairs. Even if you already have a pass

Don't bet on it.

Peepers don't get a lot of love, least they used to didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    The chick in the OP's instagram post's username was hibeams. Does anyone have any pics of her headlights for verification?

Also, I don't remember a time where our good Central CO snowstorms have come in with this much wind. Anyone else?
    10 mi has been getting grunt fucked by these westerlies since October. 2006-2007 saw some pretty serious winds, but not as consistently as this. 50-60 mph gusts at all the passes over the last few hours again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post

More global weirding. Shit is getting fucked up everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if this current NW to northern rocky mountain flow shuts off in 2 weeks and everything shifts somewhere completely differently. These erratic patterns are wreaking havoc on our snowpacks and nothing seems normal any longer.

Things now seem to go from one extreme to another.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    More global weirding. Shit is getting fucked up everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if this current NW to northern rocky mountain flow shuts off in 2 weeks and everything shifts somewhere completely differently. These erratic patterns are wreaking havoc on our snowpacks and nothing seems normal any longer.

Things now seem to go from one extreme to another.
    there isn't much odd about the snow, wind, weather it's pretty normal for year in and year out
    I'd say this is all pretty normal, what has been happening right now is that the jet streem from the north (snow) and the southern jet streem (moisture and warm air) are fighting each other right over top of northern colorado week after week, giving us alittle more wind than usual and plenty of snow

I am waiting for that valve to shut off in two weeks like you said, end of january???? then again I wasn't predicting much of winter till january this year and I'm a 4-6 weeks off

soemtime around 97 or 98 there was a wind storm that was pretty much 10x what we've had recently. that did alot of damage and made these recent ones seem pretty mellow

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    there isn't much odd about the snow, wind, weather it's pretty normal for year in and year out
    I concur.
    Old's Cool.

I disagree, however Weather does not = Climate.

So far in SW Montana we are about normal for SWE and our base depths are actually pretty average to above average and it is always windy here.

The odd is the Temperature. One 8 day period of below zero F with 4 days of daytime highs below zero. Still normalish.

But we have also experienced 3 extended periods of Temps in for 40s, I mean 4-7 days in a row. For this area, that is odd.

But it is the extremes that when averaged create the averages we accept as "normal".
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I still believe the extremes are bouncing back and forth much more than it used to.

I am guessing that the reason that the avy occurred on Jan 2nd, and we didn't hear about it through local media until Jan 8th is b/c the Evil Empire did not want this in bounds avy to affect their beloved Holiday tourist season. We all know that they strong-arm the local media!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this current NW to northern rocky mountain flow shuts off in 2 weeks and everything shifts somewhere completely differently.
    Welcome... the ridge is here, the faucet is off.
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife