Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

CAIC just tweeted a slide in East Vail - 4 caught.

"@CAIC: Large triggered avalanche East Vail, east aspect near treeline. 4 Caught, SAR in progress."

Snowpack in Colorado is way to twitchy right now. Hope all make it out...

thanks for the thread. I heard that the worst of news for at least 1. +++vibes+++ to those on scene and all involved.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

1 confirmed dead via eagle cry sheriffs office, 3 being rescued with non life threatening injuries
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Slide path was CDC - the most prominant and dangerous one out there. Has a couple of 'safe zones' that really aren't, at a location you can poke into past the main loaded start zone. The main start zone is incredibly dangerous and easy to accidentally get drawn into - which was the site of a death on Jan 4, 2008.

http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...ident=20080104

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    with Mon life threatening injuries
    What does Mon mean?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-07-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Guessing "non" was intended. Sucks to hear. It's super touchy in our zone right now. Winds really loaded things up the last few days. Wishing peace for the friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What does Mon mean?
    sorry...non.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Vibes. Horrible news.

Fuck! ++++vibes++++
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

damn, that sucks. vibes to the vail crew

That group was right behind mine on the way up. I'll tell my story of what I know.

We went up to the top of Benchmark to enjoy the views and to have a look at the bigger lines. We saw a number of small slides on Marvin's likely triggered as the sun warmed that face. This confirmed our worries about the rapid warm-up making things touchy. As we prepared to drop back to the pumptrack down the ridge, the girl in the group got to the top and said to her group, "I still want to check out NBA." I don't recall any other things said, that just stuck out. We proceeded to ski bighorn down to the bus stop.

This is what I heard after the fact.

We heard of the slide when we got on the bus and saw a guy in that group get on the bus. We asked him how his run was and he mentioned a big slide on CDC. I asked if everyone got out, and he said they pulled his buddy out with no pulse and are doing cpr. He said he had no pulse and was purple.

I told my boss about what happened, and he gave my partner and I's numbers to SAR. They called my partner about 15 minutes ago asking what we knew about how many people were in the group. He thinks it was 4 or 5 people. I remember the girl and 3 guys from the top, and there may have been another hiking up behind them that was with them. Word is, they don't know if they recovered all of the people caught.

Vibes to everyone involved and friends and family.

Fuck. Not good. ~~~Vibes~~

Fuck no! Vibes to all there.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Dammit. Really bad news.

Never good to hear that one person was caught, let alone a whole group. Vibes to everyone involved. Be safe out there
    A day of skiing is better than sitting on your ass wishing you had gone skiing.
    Hooking Mags up with What.CD invites. PM with your email addy and I'll fire one your way.

Just saw this via CBS on twitter: https://twitter.com/CBS4Jeff/status/...990976/photo/1

HUGE crown..

vibes.

sad day...........

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    We heard of the slide when we got on the bus and saw a guy in that group get on the bus. We asked him how his run was and he mentioned a big slide on CDC. I asked if everyone got out, and he said they pulled his buddy out with no pulse and are doing cpr. He said he had no pulse and was purple.

I told my boss about what happened, and he gave my partner and I's numbers to SAR. They called my partner about 15 minutes ago asking what we knew about how many people were in the group. He thinks it was 4 or 5 people. I remember the girl and 3 guys from the top, and there may have been another hiking up behind them that was with them. Word is, they don't know if they recovered all of the people caught.
    This part of the story is really weird. One of the people in the party is just getting on the bus, while one of his group is still on the hill, dead, and SAR is still searching for other? Did I misunderstand or was this indeed very weird?

Vibes to everyone involved, and thanks for sharing the details.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This part of the story is really weird. One of the people in the party is just getting on the bus, while one of his group is still on the hill, dead, and SAR is still searching for other? Did I misunderstand or was this indeed very weird?

was just thinking same...
    F-R-O-double-G

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BdaAhvCCAAADdn5.jpg 
Views:	1458 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	148070

HUGE crown
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

"The Vail Resort development plan describes the East Vail Chutes as, "an extremely steep, avalanche prone bowl that drains down to Interstate 70 or to East Vail."

what is wrong with this picture??!!

dam.... terrible news. hope others are not caught... +++ vibes +++

Looks identical to this pic from the 2008 fatality: http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=83902

Vibes, fkna.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

It is entirely possible that a single rider from the group would back off a line for many reasons and ski solo out another line and still maintain communications with the larger group, and be too far down/out to do anything at all rescue/recovery wise. Pure speculation on my part.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the friends and family of the victim.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by COpow View Post
    Looks identical to this pic from the 2008 fatality: http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=83902
    Was just thinking that when I did a quick google search and found that article.

Really terrible news... vibes.