Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    "“We weren’t sure if we were going to hit big powder or what was going to happen,” Selig said. “If you see tracks and don’t hear any rumblings, you think you’re probably OK.”

"The second man dropped in and made about 10 turns, and it looked stable, Selig said. He stopped about 20 feet from the photographer and waited."

"“We were talking about where we were going to go if it breaks and what we would do,” Selig said.

Selig had a tree she was going to hug. The second man was going to point his skis and run. The photographer was going to hunker down among some rocks and trees. They had a plan."

No comment.

So sorry this happened. Deep sympathy to all involved.

Malama Pono.

lucid interview
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Ugh.....
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

More like barf. What a ridiculous piece of crap masquerading as journalism.

Apparently the author thought he was writing the script for "Avalanche Sharks 2."

Piss poor journalism. You'd think you'd read better avalanche coverage from a reporter for a ski town rag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I don't know shit, but with a lifetime of experience, all the gear and more years of experience, shouldn't there be more to it than "hey there's another set of tracks, so it's fine"?

Shitty situation all around. That article doesn't help.

Long time lurker, first time poster. After reading Wyrick's article I had to...

Simply awful. Both the creative writing class style of Wyrick's article and Ms. Selig's ability to intelligently verbalize, well, anything.

I empathize with what she is dealing with, and she may be one of the best BMFSers in the area, but I don't have a tremendous amount of confidence that her lifetime of experience will extend too much further without a substantial amount of good luck if she continues with the same thought processes, irrespective of how geared up she is. Hopefully she will hang with others who are much better prepared than she is.

OM and Ralph were incredibly introspective after the Pucker Face incident. Hopefully Ms Selig and the other 2 in the party get to that point and can help others learn from their experience.

That article was the largest quantity of Vomitus seen outside an overflowing airsickness bag.

It did not make anyone look good or reveal anything of import.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    I don't know shit, but with a lifetime of experience, all the gear and more years of experience, shouldn't there be more to it than "hey there's another set of tracks, so it's fine"?

Shitty situation all around. That article doesn't help.
    Her statement about tracks was meant to be ironic. Also considering three people rode the line before Tony, the tone was to imply the randomness of the event. I am not defending the article as I thought parts of it were sensationalist and unnecessary. Is she really one of the "worlds foremost skiers"? Is this another professional photographer wanting to remain anonymous? Just like in Utah?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Sounds like another photographer involved.

Guess there was no way to predict that skiing an obvious avalanche path namedCharlie's Death Chute, during Considerable danger, with the history that it has killed others in the past, might be dangerous.

I mean there WERE other tracks and she was ready to hug a tree in case.

Ouch that was hurtful

People are fallible, they make mistakes, and they should learn from them by being honest with themselves as to what mistakes were made. People who were close to the victims can avoid the truth and cope with it however they want, and that's what they will do to get by. But the rest of the people out there who are not directly involved or close to the victim, should take these events as a chance to learn and avoid having this happen to us. Trust me, I've been in every part of this equation and the best thing you can do is to use it to fuel your fire for learning and improving yourself.

I don't feel like Rebecca or any of the other members of the group think that this was just some bad luck event that mysteriously happened to them that day. They know that they made mistakes leading up to the accident. They will have to live with these feelings the rest of their lives and I honestly feel for them. Nothing good will come of criticizing them personally and hurling insults.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    People are fallible, they make mistakes, and they should learn from them by being honest with themselves as to what mistakes were made. People who were close to the victims can avoid the truth and cope with it however they want, and that's what they will do to get by. But the rest of the people out there who are not directly involved or close to the victim, should take these events as a chance to learn and avoid having this happen to us. Trust me, I've been in every part of this equation and the best thing you can do is to use it to fuel your fire for learning and improving yourself.

I don't feel like Rebecca or any of the other members of the group think that this was just some bad luck event that mysteriously happened to them that day. They know that they made mistakes leading up to the accident. They will have to live with these feelings the rest of their lives and I honestly feel for them. Nothing good will come of criticizing them personally and hurling insults.
    Well put, thank you. I personally meant no disrespect in my previous post. As has happened here before, family and close friends read these comments and we can imagine the ire we would feel if out good buddy or sibling was lost, only to have a bunch of strangers finger wagging and assessing our mistakes.

This comment, while sarcastic, may hopefully remind others that use the area, to stay the fuck off CDC.

"Guess there was no way to predict that skiing an obvious avalanche path named Charlie's Death Chute, during Considerable danger, with the history that it has killed others in the past, might be dangerous."

Recently, I've had students read the NYT article on the Stevens Pass slide as a human factors study. Today I will assign my Level I students this article as homework for tomorrow mornings discussion on human factors. (and not because it is a well written article) It pretty much hits all of the FACCETS and it is more local.

It hurt reading that article... partly because of the tragedy... partly because of the writing and speaking style... and because I really wanted the story to not be what it was. Sadly, humans are human.
    Last edited by Summit; 01-11-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I apologize for my dig at Rebecca, it was based on my frustration with the article and upset at the loss of Tony. I've known Circle and Teri, Tony's folks for a long time and worked with both of them on Vail and Arrowhead when that was just coming online.

In the near aftermath of the tragedy it is no doubt very difficult to compose one's thoughts well - I've been rattled and I wasn't there, so I do empathize.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    hindsight does nothing in this instance. all we can do is learn from their mistakes and be sure they are never our own. the avalanche doesnt care if youre young, old, expert or ignorant, xc skiier or avalanche professional.
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

Well said. My frustration and fear is that my son who has been raised on the same mountain may choose his friends and be influenced by those friends regardless of what his father, mother and experienced adults teach and share with him.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

I understand a wanting to not place blame on a friend or loved one that has passed. Not wanting things to seem like fault or avoidable in any way. I just hate that people don't learn or won't learn from the clear mistakes made that day. Mistakes don't place blame but let people learn from these mistakes.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

losing a close friend/touring partner or relative in an avy is a crash course. we can only hope it sticks. close calls aren't as effective. unfortunately.

rog

This was our local paper on Jan 1st. Same photog as in the article. http://issuu.com/sneakpeak/docs/sneakpeak_jann_2_web page 8-9
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Oof.

Wonder if it was the same photog that was in the slide?

It was...
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Wonder if he held on this camera or if it got churned into the slide. Be interesting to see what shows up at 8 frames a second.

In the 90's I was on the recovery of the young man in Mushroom Bowl that was caught when he was standing in the path a little below the cliffs to take photos of his 2 buddies jumping. Camera was found at the site a while later. Developed film (any of you you guys remember film?) showed the fracture propagating just above skier's impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    Wonder if he held on this camera or if it got churned into the slide. Be interesting to see what shows up at 8 frames a second.

In the 90's I was on the recovery of the young man in Mushroom Bowl that was caught when he was standing in the path a little below the cliffs to take photos of his 2 buddies jumping. Camera was found at the site a while later. Developed film (any of you you guys remember film?) showed the fracture propagating just above skier's impact.
    That's why it's called Photo Chute, right? At least thats what I was told.

That is correct.