Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    That sucks. Dude could rip for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

That guy could ski. So sad. Looked young.

Rest in peace young ripper.
    Old's Cool.

Major bummer. That edit made me smile. And the last shot was really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Rest in peace young ripper.
    ^ 876754

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    That guy could ski. So sad. Looked young.
    Yeah, only 24.

Super sad. RIP

What a tragic twist of fate for the Seibert family.
    Love or hate Vail's terrain, business practice, expansion etc, Seibert was at least a small part in shaping CO as I know it today. My dad moved here in 1975 for love of mountains, and took me there plenty. He never skied a day in his life and unfortunately I did not learn to ski until 17. This is part of why some consider me a city boy weekend warrior jong. Some see me as a powder crazed ski junkie. Probably somewhere in between. Any way you slice it, skiing is a major portion of my life and Seibert is at least a small piece of that, so for his grandson to go out like that is, again, tragic.
    Vibes to all that knew Anthony.

Vibes from the Cascades to all involved
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

With guardians in the air @ 215pm, and 4 and 7 camera crews at VP rec area an hour later , you just knew it wasn't going to be good... Vibes to those who knew him+++
    Last edited by simplypow; 01-08-2014 at 12:15 AM. Reason: an
    Above the fingers of death sits a delicate winter garden

+++vibes+++

Sad day for the Vail crew - my thoughts go out to you all.
    Gravity. It's the law.

RIP

Nice tribute video.

Just watched the tribute video. Must be dusty in here...

RIP - Vibes to family and friends.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Smokin' View Post
    More slides, accidents and deaths would only help VRs case for expansion…
    Steep Gullies expansion at ABasin will be into similar steep terrain with a deadly history. Not much opposition. Not a bad idea to have control work in some of these areas. Anyway, that’s for another day.

Very sad to hear this. The fragile snowpack has been well documented. Such a shame. Say some prayers folks.
    First of all. This is sad news. 24 is way too young. My condolences to family and friends.

Expansion? More control?

I disagree. Not sure where and when it happened but things are upside down.

The ski area is a controlled playground but can still be trouble in some the hike to terrain. The sidecountry is not controlled.

I agree with all who have said that there needs to be a fundamental shift in the mindset of the ski resort core community.

Whoever said it - props. "Sidecountry is backcountry! " Respect more.

The alternative to self-control is gate closures. This is not Europe so if we as a community don't control the pow fever and poor decision making then the resorts will do it for us.

No shame but the fact remains that another young man is gone because he and his group made a poor decision.

We need to throttle it back. Just mho.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

expanding boundaries will not decrease avalanche incidents. bridger bowl, MT is a prime example. as mentioned above, education will promote safety. not terrain expansion.
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    First of all. This is sad news. 24 is way too young. My condolences to family and friends.

Expansion? More control?

The ski area is a controlled playground but can still be trouble in some the hike to terrain. The sidecountry is not controlled.

I agree with all who have said that there needs to be a fundamental shift in the mindset of the ski resort core community.

Whoever said it - props. "Sidecountry is backcountry! " Respect more.

The alternative to self-control is gate closures. This is not Europe so if we as a community don't control the pow fever and poor decision making then the resorts will do it for us.

No shame but the fact remains that another young man is gone because he and his group made a poor decision.

We need to throttle it back. Just mho.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    Regarding the steep gullies announcement made earlier this year, i just assumed it was done for PR, and that they never intended to open it anyway. Especially in the wake of last year's zuma bowl debacle, it took huge balls to even mention it...The notion that terrain like this can be open and controlled is an interesting one. And if there's anybody who's savy on the liability side of things (Scott Schmidt eat your heart out) I'd be eager to hear specifics on the lease agreements resorts have with USFS pertinent to skier safety. For better or worse the brocam B/C revolution is in full bloom, so how we respond is going to be very important. Especially in the wake of network sensational (ism) and hobknobber name dropping.
    Above the fingers of death sits a delicate winter garden

Steep gullies.... killed one person in the 2000s and one person in the 2010s... tragedies, but it is a high traffic area and a massive terrain trap. You hear people from abasin talk about it like it is the deadliest thing since the maxim machine gun and that is why they need to own it. And you know it will probably rarely open again because it will then be to Abasin patrols standard of safety for the general customer. They are extremely conservative after all the incidents they've had in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    expanding boundaries will not decrease avalanche incidents. bridger bowl, MT is a prime example. as mentioned above, education will promote safety. not terrain expansion.
    I agree. If you move the rope, all you do is move where the lift-access BC skiers go to ski.

The number of people skiing outside the ropes is THROUGH THE ROOF. So we can expect avalanche incidents to be more frequent. The real question is the accident rate tracking with the usage rate? Is it better than expected? Worse than expected? Is education and knowledge making the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The number of people skiing outside the ropes is THROUGH THE ROOF. So we can expect avalanche incidents to be more frequent. The real question is the accident rate tracking with the usage rate? Is it better than expected? Worse than expected? Is education and knowledge making the difference?
    I agree, I wonder the same.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I agree. If you move the rope, all you do is move where the lift-access BC skiers go to ski.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    The terrain expansion at Bridger coincided with moving the backcountry gates up from mid-mountain in favor of an open-boundary policy. It used to require a minimum of 30 minutes of skinning just to reach the Slushman's ridgeline, and a couple years prior to that, it took an hour and a half because you started from over near the water tank by patrol HQ. And Bridger is far from the worst of it. Sure, you have a bunch of random beaters gang-skiing the football field there, but anything from the summit of Saddle and beyond is still relatively lightly skied because it takes an easy skin and basic route-finding skills to make your way back to the Slushman's chair. The lesson to take from Bridger is simply that people, especially stupid people, are fucking lazy. Apparently requiring 30 minutes of skinning reduces the number of people skiing a given shot by 80%+ and the number of people who lack the capability to try to make smart decisions by 90%+. That certainly seems to be the case here in the Wasatch.

Anyhow, that's quite a digression for this thread. I don't think there is some great lesson to take from the slide at Vail other than to remind all of us that familiar does not mean safe and that a "safe zone" where you can still keep eyes on the exposed member of your party is much trickier to find than we sometimes convince ourselves.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved in the accident. 24 is way too young.

It has been years since I've been on that face, and am struggling with the pictures. Is tht crown really around 6'?

The recent freezing cold and warm days before and after wind loaded etc this entire area has ripped all the way to I 70 bring Walkie talkies and send one at a time mandatory air bags

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Expansion? More control?
    I have no clue if VR would ever want to expand into East Vail. I can think of many ski areas that border on some high consequence terrain that ***may*** benefit from control work. A conversation for another day, but again, this isn’t the place for it.

I’m not overly familiar with EVC, but this certainly doesn’t look like a line you want to be on with “Dangerous conditions, essential cautious route finding and decision making” conditions. Such a shame this had to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I don't think there is some great lesson to take from the slide at Vail other than to remind all of us that familiar does not mean safe and that a "safe zone" where you can still keep eyes on the exposed member of your party is much trickier to find than we sometimes convince ourselves.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved in the accident.
    Well said. I'll copy and paste what I said in the 12/22/13 EV Slide thread as some of it may apply here:

This is an expansion of the discussion of backcountry travel, particularly in EV. I do see a lot of people in EV:

1. Skiing multiple people at one time, often not line of sight.
    2. Not having the ability to travel uphill to help their buddies, no skins or snowshoes.
    3. Skiing very long distances, like 800 or 1000ft, sometimes not line of sight.
    4. Not having a preset communication ability, whether it is specialized yells, whistles, hand singals or radios, when out of line of sight and/or out of earshot.
    5. Not using real safe zones, or even safeR zones.

People do it because it is more fun to skin continuous lines, you can get that 3rd run in, and it makes better footy on the Go Pro.

However, none of that makes it a good idea or responsible action to one's partners.

Always consider how long it will take you to reach your buddy if something happens in the worse place.
    Always have a way to travel quickly uphill.
    Always have communication ability beyond easy eye/earshot.
    Always plan to avoid having multiple people skiing at the same time in avalanche terrain.
    Always plan to avoid situations where you lose sight of your partners.
    Always recognize zones that are only safeR, employ true safe zones, and avoid exposing multiple people.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Joint point has a lot of great tree skiing right now in case any you dare devils need a lesson on how to ski east vail correctly stay on the ridge all the way and you won't get into any terrain traps and you can still say you skied east vail bra!