Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    vibes to the friends and family of the victim... not much else to say at this point. be safe out there, friends.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It is entirely possible that a single rider from the group would back off a line for many reasons and ski solo out another line and still maintain communications with the larger group, and be too far down/out to do anything at all rescue/recovery wise. Pure speculation on my part.
    Thanks, that helps.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Anyone else having trouble with the CAIC website?

Yeah, I am. Maybe they are getting a ton of traffic?

damnit turns out this was a buddy of mine. fuck

Quote Originally Posted by meatspicy View Post
    damnit turns out this was a buddy of mine. fuck
    Very sorry to hear about your loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Terrible news. Vibes above and to all affected.

So sorry to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This part of the story is really weird. One of the people in the party is just getting on the bus, while one of his group is still on the hill, dead, and SAR is still searching for other? Did I misunderstand or was this indeed very weird?
    He could be going back up to help bring rescue efforts directly to the exact location of the burials/injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    "The Vail Resort development plan describes the East Vail Chutes as, "an extremely steep, avalanche prone bowl that drains down to Interstate 70 or to East Vail."

what is wrong with this picture??!!
    More slides, accidents and deaths would only help VRs case for expansion…
    Steep Gullies expansion at ABasin will be into similar steep terrain with a deadly history. Not much opposition. Not a bad idea to have control work in some of these areas. Anyway, that’s for another day.

Very sad to hear this. The fragile snowpack has been well documented. Such a shame. Say some prayers folks.

my thoughts to friends and family
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Slide path was CDC - the most prominent and dangerous one out there. Has a couple of 'safe zones' that really aren't, at a location you can poke into past the main loaded start zone. The main start zone is incredibly dangerous and easy to accidentally get drawn into - which was the site of a death on Jan 4, 2008.

http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ac...ident=20080104
    The horizontal line is the area where the main start zone is and is easy to accidentally get drawn into (it rolls over very subtly). The vertical line is where I'm looking up near the end of the following video. The circle is the patch that can sometimes rip out when the main start zone goes and can sometimes trigger the main zone - if it rips out on you, you'll get funneled through baseball bat trees and over cliffs, but it's unlikely you'll be buried, as it doesn't enter the main slide path. That's NBA, as referenced by Zartagan's accounts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vail-avalanche-pic-from-jeff-todd.jpg 
Views:	1000 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	148077

Here's a video looking up at the main start zone from the side entrance. It's easy to get drawn into just beyond where I finally stop at, thinking you're in a safe zone. If CDC goes big, that 'safe' zone will rip out also and you'll be flushed through those trees and down the entire 1000' path. There's a lot of really gnarly trees lower down in the slide path that can really fuck you up.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZswmcI-2EY

Here's a photo from the 2008 accident report, showing top-down view of line that my partner skied. You can see the not-so-safe zone better, here. It looks a lot less safe from above, but you can't really see that if you poke into it from the side, and it can feel a lot safer. Guessing the whole group was caught because it ripped big and took out their 'safe' zone.

Name:	20080104_Looking down.jpg 
Views:	819 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	148074
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-07-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    9news has identified the victim, looks like it was a Vail employee.
    http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=83902

I think you're linking to the 2008 incident.

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    9news has identified the victim, looks like it was a Vail employee.
    http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=83902

that's the 2008 story on Jesse Brigham. Today's fatality was not an employee but he well know in Vail. So fucking sad. Vibes to the family. He had many friends.
    On first

Really horrible news, it's been a rough few weeks

my bad, nervously trying to find out if it was some friends that were there today, haven't heard back from them yet.

I hate hearing this stuff...
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Driving over this morning I pointed out the runs in EV to my wife. Talked about times I'd ridden them and how good it was. Definitely tempting. Sorry for the loss. This shit needs to stop.

Crown... note the wind loading, convexity, damage multipliers

Name:	vail-avalanche-pic-from-jeff-todd.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	148073

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    That group was right behind mine on the way up. I'll tell my story of what I know.

We went up to the top of Benchmark to enjoy the views and to have a look at the bigger lines. We saw a number of small slides on Marvin's likely triggered as the sun warmed that face. This confirmed our worries about the rapid warm-up making things touchy. As we prepared to drop back to the pumptrack down the ridge, the girl in the group got to the top and said to her group, "I still want to check out NBA." I don't recall any other things said, that just stuck out. We proceeded to ski bighorn down to the bus stop.

This is what I heard after the fact.

We heard of the slide when we got on the bus and saw a guy in that group get on the bus. We asked him how his run was and he mentioned a big slide on CDC. I asked if everyone got out, and he said they pulled his buddy out with no pulse and are doing cpr. He said he had no pulse and was purple.

I told my boss about what happened, and he gave my partner and I's numbers to SAR. They called my partner about 15 minutes ago asking what we knew about how many people were in the group. He thinks it was 4 or 5 people. I remember the girl and 3 guys from the top, and there may have been another hiking up behind them that was with them. Word is, they don't know if they recovered all of the people caught.

Vibes to everyone involved and friends and family.
    The guy was getting on the bus? That is weird!

It is a really really weird feeling though, when you get down to the bus stop and find out another group that dropped at the same time but made a completely different line choice and bought the farm. It gives you all sorts of weird thoughts.

What a very sad day
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This part of the story is really weird. One of the people in the party is just getting on the bus, while one of his group is still on the hill, dead, and SAR is still searching for other? Did I misunderstand or was this indeed very weird?

Vibes to everyone involved, and thanks for sharing the details.
    It was weird. He seemed emotionally detached and got off at the next stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The horizontal line is the area where the main start zone is and is easy to accidentally get drawn into (it rolls over very subtly). The vertical line is where I'm looking up near the end of the following video. The circle is the patch that can sometimes rip out when the main start zone goes and can sometimes trigger the main zone - if it rips out on you, you'll get funneled through baseball bat trees and over cliffs, but it's unlikely you'll be buried, as it doesn't enter the main slide path. That's NBA, as referenced by Zartagan's accounts.

Attachment 148071

Here's a video looking up at the main start zone from the side entrance. It's easy to get drawn into where I finally stop at, thinking you're in a safe zone. If CDC goes big, that 'safe' zone will rip out also and you'll be flushed through those trees and down the entire 1000' path.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZswmcI-2EY
    that's a bad link on the pic...the vid works
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Oh No not again!

I saw the temps spike up today and hoped people were cautious. I have been on edge lately reading all the accounts of tragedy, scanning through the new CAIC site and wondering if I would ever even go out into un-controlled terrain again.

I stood on the the remains of that cornice last summer and saw the scoured ground and shredded bush, not pretty.

The discussion we have been having about the "moderate" scale is pretty sobering in itself.

Heartfelt vibes to the friends of the lost, be safe take care of each other!

man, what a loss, a punch in the gut in this valley
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

It was my kids group, my son had to work on the mountain at BC today. I'll post up when I find out more.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Glad your son is okay, hope his friends are handling.

Quote Originally Posted by teletripper View Post
    It was my kids group, my son had to work on the mountain at BC today. I'll post up when I find out more.
    DAMN...DAMN DAMN.

RIP and condolences. Glad your son is safe!
    You should have been here yesterday!