Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Nomenclature anomalies do a huge disservice. Years ago ('03 maybe) I attempted to merge the old patrol EV map with the actual usage of terms of the lines.

Folks, we are talking a couple hundred yards (maybe) difference here. While Brian can say NBA, he doesn't consider it as I do (the center of Old Man's off the cornice).

It's easy to throw down NBA, Tuts, 3rd bowl, CDC, Tweeners, Gunshot, Marvs, West Marvs, West Wall, Tele Trees, Hidden Trees, Water tower, Water tank, Bighorn, Racquet Club, Guinevere's, etc. unless we share a nomenclature. We all know these zones from experience, but I've been striving to come to consensus for safety sake.

When you're up there you know what you are skiing (I hope), when you have to pick up a phone, who the fuck in dispatch, VMR, or patrol has a clue (none). Don't even bother. That's OK and that's the way it will probably be, but it shouldn't, but still.

Language is a start. Quite honestly, if I say KA, two people are going to think different places. One, timber falls, the younger kids, the others, the older folks, way lookers left.

If we can start the normalizing process of nomenclature, then I believe that is a start to something positive in terms of education and extraction. Everyone knows not to ski CDC on a considerable day, but how many people know or agree where Charlie, who is very much alive, has his death chute?

I remember when I first started skiing EV over 10 years ago (not long). I got in touch with a man who wrote a scientific article from an engineering/planning/architectural perspective about where to build in EV. I'll never forget him returning my phone call about what went into his paper, and we had a great 2 hour chat about risk mitigation and multi-year avis in each path. This was back in the early 70's that he wrote his paper, and it was good to catch up with a founding scientific partner. Good times.

Unfortunately, to my demise in the premise of my post, when shit rips, it usually in the last few years, goes big, so line names really don't come into play, it's obvious. But we can at least, say, skier x,y,z entered from tweeners, skier a, b, c, dropped NBA and speak the same dialog.

Just a thought I've had for a long time. RIP Tony, and I'm glad it wasn't 4.
    Excellent post...this is exactly what I have been stating to everyone I know that skis EV. Why does everything have to be so secretive? Let's all combine our knowledge and come to some sort of consensus so the names and zones can be examined, labeled, discussed, and shared within our community for knowledge and safety sake. Doing this isn't going to give up any secret stashes (more people ride EV now than ever before), but it will at least let everyone discuss things and help educate new users of the area. Joe-bob from Texas isn't going to all of the sudden go to EV any differently if he stumbles upon a map on the Googlez.

Sign me up.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    I have read that as well, very interesting. I wonder if it's still referred to before new construction.
    It is. http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/cod...lanche#s305710

http://mearsandwilbur.com/about_us.html
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague