Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Great memories of skiing with ACE, and my brother, also in Odin's large group pic, had several adventures with him in LA and Mammoth. You were a great one, ACE, and inspiration anyone lucky enough to make some turns with ya. Nothing but stoke. Nothing but genuine. Meeting up with my brother in MT week after new year - we'll find a nice line, remember you, and hoot our way down. RIP, ACE.
    "Girl, let us freak."

Loved Armchair from day 1! So saddened to learn this news. RIP ACE

miss you all as well! Happy New Year and keep the fire going!
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Dang- I knew of him but never met- his posts were always hilarious when I was just a lurker. I just looked at his facebook pg too and know I would have loved him too as his posts are hilarious and he didn't hold back. Condolences to his friends here and family

Went to Andrews FB page and learned that the family is raising money for a party to honor Andrew's life:

https://www.giveforward.com/fundrais...ndrew-cattaneo

This fundraiser ends Xmas eve, people are giving from ten bucks up, would be nice to help them out, give them a maggot boost.
    Last edited by yogachik; 12-24-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Just found out 5 minutes ago via a phone call, I didn't see this thread or have any idea. What a good guy. What a bummer. RIP ACE.

One time on the board he told a crazy story about being in Boston and getting attacked by some maniac and his conclusion has always stuck with me (somewhat paraphrased): "When you are being attacked by a maniac, and you have a hammer, do not hit the maniac with the flat side of the hammer." Lesson learned.
    that was armchair - I thought it was you - lol

posters I haven't seen in years - quite a thread

condolences to all

the og crew set this place in motion and i can't thank you guys enough!
    this is a sadly beautiful thread, your pal ACE would be proud

bobby

Rest in peace my dear friend.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

RIP. Hope the next life is full of pow turns.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

One of the good ones right there. Its amazing how many quality folks have migrated in and out of these walls. That was one solid dude.

RIP ACE,

Every day is a gift people.

So sad to hear. RIP ACE.

This thread is bringing back so many memories from all of the original maggots showing up to post again after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by smiTTy View Post
    So sad to hear. RIP ACE.

This thread is bringing back so many memories from all of the original maggots showing up to post again after all these years.
    Hey, I never post here but when Earlywood told me this I had to come on and say how sad I am to hear this news. We had many laughs and he was definitely a presence here back in the day.

I hope he's in a good place, and that he got to do many of the things he wanted to do before his departure.

RIP, man...you were a good one.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

bklyn is online now who guards the guardians?
    Sad news. RIP.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

RIP ACE, very sad.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Stopped back in just to say damn, man. RIP indeed. World lost a great guy.

This thread is a peek into a community that most of us here didn't get to know. RIP, and may the friendships live on.

I remember a few days way back when. Only met up a few times, what do you do when you live in different countries but those times were fun. He always seemed to have a list for life and that just spread to everyone around. Until we meet again.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Like many of you, I liked Andrew very much.

The day I met him, he was leaning on his poles, sporting that awesome yellow Marmot jacket, craning his neck at a billboard trail map outside of the Mid-Gad lodge.

Back then, few of us had cell phones and even fewer had digital cameras. We didn't know what each other looked like for the most part and the general rule was to identify each other by our big, expensive skis, unique helmets or obnoxious lift-line behavior.

I wasn't 100% sure but I took a chance anyway, skied right up next to him and, in the most mocking, insincere, jagoff tone of voice I could muster, snarked, "Niiice jaaacket." (see Odin's photos from Snowbird-- I'm wearing the same one!)

He turned slowly toward me, cool as a cucumber and then suddenly, with beaming eyes and the biggest, warmest grin, thrust his hands out for a welcoming hug and hollered, "Pinner!"

That was about the nicest "first-time-meeting-an-old-friend" I've ever had.

RIP friend.

Rip, great to see the support of the old guard

Can't believe how many OGs are stopping in to pay their condolences. It reminds of what this place was when I was a lurker.

RIP ACE.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Sad sad sad RIP ACE
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

rip ace ski pow 4evr

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner View Post

He turned slowly toward me, cool as a cucumber and then suddenly, with beaming eyes and the biggest, warmest grin, thrust his hands out for a welcoming hug and hollered, "Pinner!"

That was about the nicest "first-time-meeting-an-old-friend" I've ever had.

RIP friend.
    My man
    Miss you both

RIP ACE, this is sad.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    I got a bunch of crazy memories of ACE, all of which crack me up. I remember him falling of the some traverse and getting his uphill leg wrapped around a trail marker in some gnarly ACL wrenching position, then me having to untangle him like a pretzel as I held my sides together, which split from laughing too hard.
    That was off the High T at Alta where the snow fence always is every year just above Jakes. I remember it being a washboard kind of day - nothing too terribly challenging. The way patrol sets up that fence, you gotta make a fairly quick S to continue out to the West Rustler runs. I didn't see exactly what caused it, but I did see him get tangled up, take out both levels of a lot of that fence and end up hanging upside down by 1 ski. After we made sure he was ok, I remember howling with laughter.

Later that afternoon up at the GMD bar, we had so much fun reliving it over and over again. I remember chatting with him for quite a while about skiing, cooking, etc. Never skied with him after that, but I always loved reading his posts - I could hear his voice behind everything he typed.

RIP ACE the world is less brighter with your passing. Thoughts and prayers to all his family and friends.
    Last edited by Xover; 12-30-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"