Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Jeebus! Thats a nice showing of Magimags. My recent choice of employment as a full time troller at some other mtn in vt is keeping me away this year. Next storm I hope! Fun must of been had.....sweet.
    Is it at the type of place that doesnt exactly allow dirtbags?

Hahaha no not that place Mr. Zander.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicsnowboard View Post
    Anyone know how our favorite hill held up today?
    Let's just say you won't have to worry about Thurs being more than $15.

So yeah, my brother who works for a manufacturing facility that produces a TON of parts for knife/multitool/military hardware companies got me a pretty cool Magic-related Xmas present. The two-handed chopaholic I've had for all these years might have finally met it's match!

Can't wait to put it to good use up at Glebe!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

jgb@etree Guest
    Very fancy and FKNA awesome (Gerber is the tits, IMO) but you could probably buy about 10 of those cold steel 2 handers for the price of one of those bad boys. I'm still very jealous though! The carry handle is great. Is the back edge of the blade wider & flat to use as a hammer too?

No bottle opener? That thing's worthless!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I'll bet it's real easy to open bottles with the carry slot.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Very fancy and FKNA awesome (Gerber is the tits, IMO) but you could probably buy about 10 of those cold steel 2 handers for the price of one of those bad boys. I'm still very jealous though! The carry handle is great. Is the back edge of the blade wider & flat to use as a hammer too?

The back of it actually has a welded-on full hammer face block- with a wedge you could easily split wood with it. That carry handle is actually for shovel handle style use of the prybar on the end of the handle. Kind of thinking of making myself a shovel head to attach on the prybar end as it's already got a mounting hole to work with. Also he is not paying even close to retail for that thing and never would- I'm not that cool!

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post

Oh it'll open beers, just you wait and see
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Made a short video from last Friday up at Magic. My buddies and I are doing a little web series this winter chronicling our chase for pow turns and that epic (and cold!) day at Magic fit right in. I went there a couple years back and then again last year for the STEFT comp - man, what an awesome place. I completely understand everyone's love for it and can't wait to get there more myself. A gem for sure!

Check it out if you have a few minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by BP Pow View Post
    I really really hate being a Debbie downer or an asshole (ok, the second part is a lie), but there were 3 trails "closed" on Friday, one of them being Redline, which you featured in several clips.

[rant]As a Magic regular, I'd like to give you a hearty "FUCK YOU". Redline was closed for a reason. I don't know what that reason was, but they specifically mentioned it in the snow report, and I believe it had something to do with preserving the trail. I know you're a Magic rookie, but there are two sections of Redline that get pretty haggard pretty fast, and I'm betting they were trying to protect those areas and build up a base. I know that in retrospect, given the non-frozen precip, it doesn't really make that much difference since they lost a lot of base, but ALL of us were staring at Redline and I know that MOST of us resisted temptation, and did not ski it. While I realize that Magic patrol is kind of a joke and there is a liberal rope ducking policy, we're trying to make changes that will bring the most terrain to the most people with the best conditions, but we're not quite there yet, as evidenced by the fact that it took them time to open the west side that morning. Additionally, people poaching Redline is a huge personal pet peeve of mine since like many others, it is my favorite trail on the mountain. I will happily duck ropes pretty much anywhere else, but when Redline is closed, I stay off of it. Next time you have a guest over, I hope they shit on your rug and then post about it on the internet. [/rant]

That being said, great video, great stoke, and next time you're around, I'll happily show you around and have beers with you.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

I have no idea why you guys had decided to save Redline. For what? The rain on Sunday to pound into suncups? I'm sorry man but that's a total waste imo. When the pow is here, you really have to take advantage. Hell, I skied Redline Friday too and none of us really have a place to yell at other people for ducking ropes in any case. Hell, I know a few *cough*cough* who duck whole fences on permanent closures with a whole group when they see fit, nahmeen?

I mean I get it but I think you guys are a little too fired up over people skiing Redline when it was tits. You had to know it was going to get skied. Everything gets skied. Redline is no worse off than anywhere else as of right now anyways and trying to keep snow on the plunge is 100% a lost cause anyways.

Can I get a group hug now?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    So who will be throwing it back tomorrow? I'll be there in my green FlyLow puffy.
    A very slight chance. Dark yellow jacket, Mantras side beveled to 4°, whippet self arrest poles, and ice crampons.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    That being said, great video, great stoke, and next time you're around, I'll happily show you around and have beers with you.
    Only if others are supervising. And only if I can see my beer being poured. And DoWork has to be there to ensure my safety.

Under these conditions I can cordially accept your invitation.

Ice crampons?!?!? Huh, and to think all this time I'd been skiing with my DIRT crampons. Oops.

As to red...I'd've ducked too. Multiple times with finger raised if heckled about it.

There's only one permanent closure. Other than that if you can slide down it, game on. The only way to "protect" or "preserve" snow is to run a large tracked vehicle over it so that it loses air pockets, and that doesn't even happen on low angle groomers after 20" storms. Not like they're gonna winch Red anyway. Might as well get some compacting done and have some fun in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    As to red...I'd've ducked too. Multiple times with finger raised if heckled about it.
    Well yeah, but that's cause you're an asshole.

Bad form on the GoYo rope duck, but otherwise outstanding video.

Trying to save Red with a foot of pow is like trying to save a case of your favorite beer in the frat house fridge. Great vid BP Pow. Welcome to Magic. Next pow day, ask for me and I'll buy you a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Trying to save Red with a foot of pow is like trying to save a case of your favorite beer in the frat house fridge. Great vid BP Pow. Welcome to Magic. Next pow day, ask for me and I'll buy you a beer.

and if it's any consolation to anyone keeping score i typically log the majority of my laps on red but didn't hit it once between friday and saturday...everything else was so good and there are so only so many hours in the day.

plus BP and crew shredded the thing. would have been nice to watch from the chair were it running.

no one got hurt to my knowledge so yes, after the warm temps/NCP that followed the whole issue seems kinda moot. would have been a shame if all had obeyed the restriction, no?

If you come back I will volunteer to ensure your safety. While DoWork does have a pretty sweet axe, he's not that big. Have you seen PearlJam09 in person? He's huge!

Although, he is a very good guy and only spoke up because he cares about the mountain and together with DoWork is working hard to ensure that we can move from a everything is closed, wink wink, to a more open policy where stuff that is really supposed to be closed stays closed.

With that said sweet video! If you're in the area again, I'm the guy with an orange jacket and a Snowboard that is way more intense then my ability.
    You mean head of safety and director of employee benefits, Mr. DoWork? I'd love to have him around. Everything is safer when he's there.

Also, yes, we're attempting to work with patrol to move to a slightly more 'rigid' definition of open vs closed, only time will tell if that actually happens, and how it all works.

To make up for my antistoke, here's some photos from friday:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140103-Magic-0019.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	148146
    Marketing guy gets some pow.

Name:	20140103-Magic-0052.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	148147
    Radam gets deep.

Name:	20140103-Magic-0074.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	148148
    DoWork, always the pinnacle of safety.

Name:	20140103-Magic-0148.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	148149
    MagicSnowboard representing the one plankers.

Name:	20140103-Magic-0203.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	148150
    Neufox47 enjoying blackline.

Name:	20140103-Magic-0810.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	148151
    Radam catches air!

Name:	20140103-Magic-0912.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	148152
    Yours truly.

Name:	20140103-Magic-0366.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	148153
    Faceshots are easy when you're 4'8".
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

If you come back I will volunteer to ensure your safety. While DoWork does have a pretty sweet axe, he's not that big. Have you seen PearlJam09 in person? He's huge!

Although, he is a very good guy and only spoke up because he cares about the mountain and together with DoWork is working hard to ensure that we can move from a everything is closed, wink wink, to a more open policy where stuff that is really supposed to be closed stays closed.

With that said sweet video! If you're in the area again, I'm the guy with an orange jacket and a Snowboard that is way more intense then my ability.
    Yeah, I completely hear PearlJam09's point. Obviously 'twas no attempt to disrespect the resort or prove our badass-ness, just a few pow hounds trying to gobble up the goods. Lotta respect for Magic! Can't wait to ski there more.

I hope to hell it never happens but what will eventually sink Magic won't be lack of snow, amenities, or a terrain park, it will be a lawsuit. If a trail is roped off at any other resort it's probably for a safety issue. If Magic mgmt wants to look the other way and let some people poach the ropes (i.e. those who help clear brush in the fall, etc.), they better be prepared to defend their approach to closed trails when some 17 yr old non-maggot decides to follow the same trail, gets hurt, and the parents decide to sue for negligence. I get that Magic is trying for bro brah status in S. Vt. but if you (the Magic cognoscenti) want to adopt a separate set of rules for yourselves I think you are heading in the wrong direction. I wish it were different, but that's the world we live in today.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post

Name:	20140103-Magic-0366.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	148153
    Faceshots are easy when you're 4'8".
    When I saw him the next day I said "Hey, you were getting some nice deep turns yesterday" and all he said was "Yeah, it's easier when you're closer to the ground."

'13/'14 Magic Shenanigans- sooooooo much better than your area thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I get that Magic is trying for bro brah status in S. Vt..
    Says who? I disagree. There is nothing bro-brah about the regular crew at magic. In fact, we talk more about the lack of a truly viable beginner area than rope droppings.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Says who? I disagree. There is nothing bro-brah about the regular crew at magic. In fact, we talk more about the lack of a truly viable beginner area than rope droppings.
    The topic split is probably closer to 50/50... but we're definitely not bro-brah. Though I still think we need to have a mini-comp on Medium one of these days. Prizes for smoothest line, biggest air (off the waterfall if snowmaking doesn't fill it in), worst crash (probably also off the waterfall since it goes straight into a semi-uphill compression), maybe even one for best dropped knee!

*Prizes may be limited to high fives and/or tapping poles together.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I hope to hell it never happens but what will eventually sink Magic won't be lack of snow, amenities, or a terrain park, it will be a lawsuit. If a trail is roped off at any other resort it's probably for a safety issue. If Magic mgmt wants to look the other way and let some people poach the ropes (i.e. those who help clear brush in the fall, etc.), they better be prepared to defend their approach to closed trails when some 17 yr old non-maggot decides to follow the same trail, gets hurt, and the parents decide to sue for negligence. I get that Magic is trying for bro brah status in S. Vt. but if you (the Magic cognoscenti) want to adopt a separate set of rules for yourselves I think you are heading in the wrong direction. I wish it were different, but that's the world we live in today.
    if its roped, its roped and closed. Just because there are tracks beyond the rope does not make the ski area liable. Think about it...hills have a groomer open all season and then they close it in the spring due to lack of snow. Closed is closed...groomed or nat terrain.

And I would never poach