Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    /\ having never ridden what we cleared on the first volunteer day this last fall I can say for certain that 3:00-3:22 is looking much better. awesome

12/27/12. Nothing fancy, but at least there was some snow.

Anybody want to go for a skin around 11?
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

jgb@etree Guest
    Hopefully this is the beginning of Winter 2.0... Started to r**n around 3:00, but changed over to fat flakes by 4:15. Been snowing hard since the changeover - about 6" of very dense + heavy snow. If the weather folks are right, the snow isn't supposed to let up until morning.

Nice JGB.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    Is that why you were hauling ass down the sidewalk this afternoon after you stole my skis? Ha! Good seeing you dude!

Is that a machete in my pocket or...
    Heh... I was in hard core Xmas shopping mode when I saw you two. Probably the first and last time someone has been mugged for skis in NYC. Haven't seen you up here - hope you are on your way up now. Looks like tomorrow should be pretty good.

We're at Bromley today and Magic tomorrow. Got a few beginners in the crew so we're hoping for a sunshine corner opening tomorrow. See you over there
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    We're at Bromley today and Magic tomorrow. Got a few beginners in the crew so we're hoping for a sunshine corner opening tomorrow. See you over there
    Are you a purple teletubby today?

Sent from my XT1049 using TGR Forums

Twas a decent death ribbon Saturday, really good snow quality for the circumstances. fingers crossed for the future.

How good is that Black Line Tavern?

To all the STAFF at Magic, you guys rock it!

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Are you a purple teletubby today?

*ahem* its BLURPLE!!

I can't wait to go into teletubby mode again I always kind of feel like this

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

With Thursday scheduled as the first 'throwback' day, how do I find out that morning if the powder day clause kicks in to raise the price (other than showing up at the ticket window and finding the price is 3x the throwback rate)?

If Magic is claiming greater than or equal to 6", it will be a full price day.

If less than 6", tickets are $15.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

I am by no means the final say in weather, but I think that whatever the total snowfall is from this storm, it looks to be a long-duration event and we probably won't be at or past 6" by Thursday morning's snow report.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    With Thursday scheduled as the first 'throwback' day, how do I find out that morning if the powder day clause kicks in to raise the price (other than showing up at the ticket window and finding the price is 3x the throwback rate)?
    In their "New Year's Eve Snow Report" they posted this:

"Plan on Thursday here as the snow falls and we have our first Throwback Thursday with $15 tickets and a PBR apres ski party with a PBR snowboard giveaway. More trails are coming this week so keep the faith and enjoy the uncrowded, stress-free slopes of Magic for now (I hear it's a madhouse everywhere else...)"

Edit: While I'm not necessarily changing my opinion, I'm removing the "negative-stoke" portion of my post to keep in line with the primary purpose of this thread.
    Last edited by GetAmped; 12-31-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    IMO, it's kind of douchey to have the caveat in the first place...

Lol... Why? People only come here in droves on powder days plain and simple. We have to make that fairweather buck or we are toast. They are and have been our lifeline and we'd be stupid to throw out that kind of money trying to be the cool uncle of a mountain mountain that still can't afford to buy a pack of smokes. I think it's cool they even offer the $15 tickets at all and thought "thank God" when they put that * in as this hill needs that cash. The deal is a total bone for the locals and I personally love it. Makes sense to me on all sides tbh to add in the powder clause. If you want a better deal, get a pass or a multi-pack at huuuuuuuge discount and I don't feel bad for people who can't or won't invest in a better deal than the "full retail $59"

I know I'm about to get shit for this but I'd be even happier if they said no skinning before a pow day too tbh- and although I hated the idea when I first heard it, it makes total sense now that I've let it sink in and accepted it from a mgmt standpoint. I know I heard a lot of complaining last year (and I know the bosses heard a shitload more) when we kept opening for pow days already completely tracked out. It makes 0 sense to me to let people nibble the corners off the food you're going to try to sell in an hour and there's a damn good reason nobody anywhere else lets you do it. I love that the ability to do so exists just as much as the next guy who likes to earn their turns but we would do well to recognize that we are in a changing environment and will have to adapt to stay on top- or even have a decent product left to sell in an age where literally everyone has touring bindings and skins. Make no mistake, pow days ARE our holiday weekends & our bread and butter and we would do well to maximize the mountain's benefit from them.

"when we kept opening for pow days already completely tracked out"

I think your exaggeration machine is stuck on 11. I skinned up before the lift opened on three pow days we had more than 6" last season. Each of those days there may have been, at most, three or four other people skinning before the lift opened. See my video from 2/28 posted above. Redline was not completely tracked out by the time the lift started (see 1:16). Nor was Witch to Blackline completely tracked out when I skied it after taking the lift up (see 1:26). In fact, I was only the second person down it. The other two pow days were no different.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Lol... Why? ................... Make no mistake, pow days ARE our holiday weekends & our bread and butter and we would do well to maximize the mountain's benefit from them.
    Agreed. When the window is open at Glebe, I'll gladly pay whatever they ask.

'13/'14 Magic Shenanigans- sooooooo much better than your area thread!

a very happy 30th wedding anniversary to Mr & Mrs. My Name is August West

"i know that girls been true to me.....!"

^

Very witty!

Happy anniversary MNIAW, that's a lot of years!

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    "when we kept opening for pow days already completely tracked out"

I think your exaggeration machine is stuck on 11.

Truth I hope that day never comes

^^I plan to skin up Friday morning. Want to join me?

August West, Happy 30th. Now get up and fly away to Hawai-ay.

^^I plan to skin up Friday morning. Want to join me?

Once I get my radicals mounted up (wish I hadn't accidentally left my bindings in VT) I'm game.

Probably won't be this weekend though.

Last year, I was away for all 3 pow days Goniff mentioned. So yeah, enjoy the massive snow while I'm basking in the sun.

FD, it's not the years, it's the miles...

So who will be throwing it back tomorrow? I'll be there in my green FlyLow puffy.

I'm trying hard as fuck man... Trying SO HARD to wrap everything up this afternoon so I can call an audible and get my ass up there.

If I'm there I will probably be in my onezie.