Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sochi Slopestlye/Pipe

I know it's more ns than TGR but who you guys thinking for Sochi in the two new freestyle events?

By my measure I wouldn't be surprised if the Midwest represented strongly with Goepper out of Perfect North, Indiana and Wallish out of PA for Slopestlye - US that is.

I would love to see Candide ski Olympic pipe or slope period.

Who you got?
    I still call it The Jake.

David Wise will win in the pipe if he stays healthy and lands his run. On any given day there are a bunch of people who could win, but he's way ahead of everyone

Don't doubt that at all.

Maybe I'm old and nostalgic but something in my heart says the first Olympic Pipe Gold was shared between CR and Candide in that epic X Games final so many years ago.

spook Guest
    probably stupid but is there a snowboard DH? why do i have to watch bode to get that thrill? love boardercross if they're doing that but half pipe is a joke of an olympic event if you asked me.

Interesting take Spook. No SB downhill. I actually wonder what speeds a SBer could achieve on the same course.

Half pipe not worthy? Again, interesting.

Then again I just had a lengthily conversation about curling.

spook Guest
    I think boardercross is a joke of an Olympic event, too, but it's crazy to watch.

Geopper and Wallisch are my votes.

Flat Landers rule !

I like half pipe for skiers and boarders. I think that's got more cred than skier/boarder cross as an event. Was wondering the same thing about DH snowboarding. I think that would be cool. Maybe it's just to unstable at high speeds? We used to run in a small, local speed event. A few of my boarder friends were hitting high 60's. Sketchy at times but fun to watch.

I think it's awesome to have both events in the Olympics and I think a lot of uninformed people will get to see that skiing has reached a new level. Theyre gonna to be going HUGE in the pipe, much bigger than the boarders (per usual)

I just hope these events will get the air time they deserve.

My vote is for Wise.

I just wish Sarah and CR were gonna be there
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Candide is competing in slopestyle at the Grand Prix at Copper this week

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    Candide is competing in slopestyle at the Grand Prix at Copper this week
    Just saw that!

Welcome back Candide.

http://m.powdermag.com/stories/candi...er-grand-prix/

Womens SKier X is like the best shit around
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

spook Guest
    i'd still love to watch pro boarders navigate a downhill course in the olympics. slower maybe, but pretty fucking hard if they're pushing the limits.

Torin broke 2 ribs and collapsed a lung in practice the other day. not sure if he'll be back in time. He was one of the favorites in pipe.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Don't doubt that at all.

Maybe I'm old and nostalgic but something in my heart says the first Olympic Pipe Gold was shared between CR and Candide in that epic X Games final so many years ago.
    one of my favorite moments in skiing for sure. Can't wait to see what Candide come up with here.

Word on the street seems to be that James Wood has a great chance in the slopestyle. Learned to ski as a kid on a dry (plastic) slope in Sheffield.... Has done well in the X games etc.

Also looking out for local scottish skier Murray Buchan in the half pipe!
    He wont win in but reckon he could get a top 10 place would be much huge...

Anyone got results of the field at Copper today (avoiding google)?

Love to know how Candide did.

Watching my dvr of the pipe now. Lots of snow and a short pipe

Nice to see Dumont make an Olympic run, is Tanner trying for pipe?

candide did alright at the grand prix, his run was SUPER loose though. He's still got it but he's nowhere near the level of all the dudes who have been in this current scene. Thall isn't going to the olympics and isn't even competing this year, he's just going to be skiing pow and filming a shitload.

For pipe aaron blunck got 1st (stoked for him, CB represent!!!!) and I believe gus and rolland got the next two spots. Really glad the gopher (geopper) got 2nd in slope, I dislike that little weasel. hahaha Really hyped on andres getting 1st in slope, just shows the older dudes can still throw down.

Torin is probably out for a little while, sucked as he was definitely going to beat david wise at dew tour. As said above though, Wise will probably win if he's feeling good and sticks his run, the dubs he throws are on a whole other level than anyone else.

I'm actually from perfect north and had the honor to ski with nick and get a few pointers from him!!

Wallish doesn't even make the team! wow, i was shocked....

final slopestyle and pipe teams announced yesterday. stoked for these kids

Men’s Slopestyle

Bobby Brown
    Joss Christensen
    Nick Goepper
    Gus Kenworthy

Women’s Slopestyle

Keri Herman
    Julia Krass
    Devin Logan
    Maggie Voisin

Men’s Halfpipe

Aaron Blunck
    Lyman Currier
    David Wise
    Torin Yater-Wallace

Women’s Halfpipe

Maddie Bowman
    Annalisa Drew
    Angeli VanLaanen
    Brita Sigourney
    i think the US could take all the podium spots in slopestyle with brown, christensen and goepper looking good.

David Wise and Kevin Rolland (FRA) will battle it out for gold in the pipe. dumont's try to make the team was truly crazy (skiing without an ACL) and i gained a lot respect for that dude.

i'm all in for bobby b., the tall kid ftw!
    b

We did a little armchair QB'ing on the slope & pipe team picks for the homepage: https://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/U-...er-6561704.htm

Overall, really bummed to hear Wallisch didn't make it. Pretty much sucked the gut out of the team and leaving it with two doppleganger contest jocks (Bobby/Goepper) and Gus & Joss. Good for Joss though. At this point, Torin is the guy I'm most looking forward to watching, along with Julia Krass (NH in the house!), who had a solid slope run.

We were actually talking about our Olympic coverage this AM. Kind of want to take a bit more of an irreverant & entertaining view of this whole thing vs. pure sports reporting, since Freeskier/NS/Powder are on that bit already. Is there anything in particular you guys would like to see covered/discussed/reported on/made fun of with regards to Sochi?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

spook Guest
    well, you covered bashing part of the your us olympic team, so that's a good start.

Who the hell are Aaron Blunck and Lyman Currier? Contest history plz?