Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Skiing out west after storms when you are primarily a northeast weekend groomer skier

Skiing out west after storms when you are primarily a northeast weekend groomer skier...

Bad idea or the logical next step?

Skiing groomed trails is fun but, as all of you know, after a while you feel like you can just about do them in the dark...in your sleep.

Well maybe not exactly but...

So I started skiing about 6 years ago...I ski on average 25 days a year when the conditions are pretty good (so not as much this year). I would love that to be more but I live about 5 hours away from where it's pretty good and I need to save vacation days for other things through the year...so I generally ski on weekends.

2 years ago I started going out west for a week, to see what that was all about and ski.

Steamboat 2 years ago, Snowmass last year.

Steamboat was pretty good when I went but there was no new snow when I was there, so it was basically just a bigger and less icy version of what I can ski in the Adirondacks , Whites or Greens.

Snowmass was incredible when I went. There were a few overnight storms ranging from 8 inches to a little over a foot. The snow was light and wouldn't trip me up, even though I am new to skiing powder...probably the most pleasure I've had skiing that week.

This year, with the absolute horror show that was northeast skiing I was especially eager to get out west. I got my tax refund and I waited to see who would get the snow before winter ran out.

And then they forecasted the parade of storms for the mountains surrounding Tahoe...so that's where me and a buddy went.

Thing is, skiing powder is supposed to be like the Holy Grail of skiing...but I have had mixed experiences the few times I have had the opportunity to do so.

A couple of years ago I got to ski powder at Sugarloaf and I was back to being a brand new hot mess gaper...steamed goggles and "going over the handlebars" galore! I was ****ing frustrated.

And half of my experiences in powder have been like that!

And this time I went out west looking for it...gotta get practice or I'll never have a breakthrough with it...but ended up jacking up my right knee on Day 2 instead.

So I guess this thread is about asking how other northeast recreational skiers transitioned to at least doing one safe and enjoyable week out west...

I'm either gonna get the hang of skiing powder and ski more...or I'm gonna ski less, because one can only go down so many groomed trails in a season before a "been there done that" feeling inevitably washes over you.

Maybe I need to take baby steps...going to a place where the snow is generally known to be lighter...and perhaps when it's calling for a series of smaller dumps?

I probably F'd up running off to Tahoe, but after the season we've had here I was going to the first place calling for significant snow...in hindsight I'm wishing that were Targhee or Alta...

But one thing is for certain, I don't want to keep blowing up my knees!
    Last edited by ma4149; 03-18-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Take a lap, faggot
    No one cares
    This is not alpinezone
    crab in my shoe mouth

Benny, you're fooling nobody here by posting under an alias.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Take a lap, faggot
    No one cares
    This is not alpinezone
    Maggot - OK.

JONG - OK.

Gaper - OK.

But what's with faggot?

It means you suck dicks , guy
    We don't need more dicksuckers here. We have gape ape for that
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

Sierra cement is often not as powdery as the continental snowpack. Other than that, get in shape, ski more and consider renting fatter/rockered skis when out west.

I think that its too much for you to ski powder from your description. This is what you do:

When you go on vacation to a western resort if there is any snow in the forecast you put up a craigslist ad to the effect 'I can't ski powder so will give you my lift ticket if it snows more than 6" so send me your phone # and I'll call you' . Then on the morning when unhappily 12" of powder show up you just call some happy skier from the results, give them your ticket, and you're free to do what I'm guessing that you really what to do - SHOPPING!!

Don't worry OP, buttintake is just insecure because he has small hands and can't satisfy his boytoy when he fists him. He takes is out on others with homophobic diatribes.

lose the skis, start snowboarding.
    27° 18°

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i can probs drive a 16 pennies with a coblers hammers
    harts framers does it mo betters
    mauls overkills
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Buy two snowboards and mount ski bindings. Call yourself a powder pro! It's hot right now.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    never mind i thoughts it was a what skis should i get threads
    pretty sure gapicski is where youre gonna git it
    babblinbearsftw
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by ma4149 View Post
    General discussion away!
    Next time, point the skis downhill. If something gets in your way, turn. Or learn to snowboard.

Buttah, laps.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

OP, don't try so hard & give it some time
    shit, take a lesson -- no shame in expanding your horizons
    heal up & get back on the snow

Sorry ML, it's raining in VT once again. And this beater is pissing me off.
    Fucking lame thread
    crab in my shoe mouth

The March storms here have been very heavy wet snow, which is not unusual for California. If you want to ski powder head for the Rockies--the odds on good snow (if it snows) are a lot higher. And yeah, epic ski would be a better place to post this shit.

And buttahflake--you may or may not suck dicks but you most definitely are one. Or you're 13 in which case I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    And yeah, epic ski would be a better place to post this shit.
    I would have, but I failed to ignore the popular / high post count buttahflakes of epicski and the mods played favorites and banned me.

Gonna try to bring my inner Buddhist here and ignore the provoking antagonizing crazy comments of those who could use some form of psychiatric therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Next time, point the skis downhill. If something gets in your way, turn. Or learn to snowboard.

Buttah, laps.
    Well, at least both your feet are locked on to one board...I reckon knee injuries are far more rare.

But I like, and am already quite invested in, skiing.

okay, enough of this shit JONG
    Tits of GTFO now
    let's see em, yer mom, girlfriend, wife, sister
    up em or take a lap
    this is pathetic
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Sorry ML, it's raining in VT once again. And this beater is easily trolling me.
    Why did I even respond to this fucking lame thread?
    fify... no charge, but drop and give me four 20.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Skiing out west after storms when you are primarily a northeast weekend groomer skier...

Bad idea or the logical next step?

Skiing groomed trails is fun but, as all of you know, after a while you feel like you can just about do them in the dark...in your sleep.

Well maybe not exactly but...

So I started skiing about 6 years ago...I ski on average 25 days a year when the conditions are pretty good (so not as much this year). I would love that to be more but I live about 5 hours away from where it's pretty good and I need to save vacation days for other things through the year...so I generally ski on weekends.

2 years ago I started going out west for a week, to see what that was all about and ski.

Steamboat 2 years ago, Snowmass last year.

Steamboat was pretty good when I went but there was no new snow when I was there, so it was basically just a bigger and less icy version of what I can ski in the Adirondacks , Whites or Greens.

Snowmass was incredible when I went. There were a few overnight storms ranging from 8 inches to a little over a foot. The snow was light and wouldn't trip me up, even though I am new to skiing powder...probably the most pleasure I've had skiing that week.

This year, with the absolute horror show that was northeast skiing I was especially eager to get out west. I got my tax refund and I waited to see who would get the snow before winter ran out.

And then they forecasted the parade of storms for the mountains surrounding Tahoe...so that's where me and a buddy went.

Thing is, skiing powder is supposed to be like the Holy Grail of skiing...but I have had mixed experiences the few times I have had the opportunity to do so.

A couple of years ago I got to ski powder at Sugarloaf and I was back to being a brand new hot mess gaper...steamed goggles and "going over the handlebars" galore! I was ****ing frustrated.

And half of my experiences in powder have been like that!

And this time I went out west looking for it...gotta get practice or I'll never have a breakthrough with it...but ended up jacking up my right knee on Day 2 instead.

So I guess this thread is about asking how other northeast recreational skiers transitioned to at least doing one safe and enjoyable week out west...

I'm either gonna get the hang of skiing powder and ski more...or I'm gonna ski less, because one can only go down so many groomed trails in a season before a "been there done that" feeling inevitably washes over you.

Maybe I need to take baby steps...going to a place where the snow is generally known to be lighter...and perhaps when it's calling for a series of smaller dumps?

I probably F'd up running off to Tahoe, but after the season we've had here I was going to the first place calling for significant snow...in hindsight I'm wishing that were Targhee or Alta...

But one thing is for certain, I don't want to keep blowing up my knees!

General discussion away!

Great troll. Way to sell the small details of being a shit stain to really rowdy up the natives.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    This is your best solution.

Worst. Troll. Evah. Greg, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Actually, quit your job in NY, move to (insert your favorite western ski town here) and learn to ski...its called commitment, its your only choice.

moved to Whistler permanently.