Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    $600 for a day of skiing with Lynsey? Damn, that's a pretty sick deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I can work on this.

If you guys think it'll help bring in more donations, an electronic copy of the movie doesn't cost us much. We're happy to add this to all prize packages above $15 if you think it'll make a difference.
    I'd like to do one of the higher contributions but I would definitely like to receive the film, and a digital copy is just fine.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I can work on this.

If you guys think it'll help bring in more donations, an electronic copy of the movie doesn't cost us much. We're happy to add this to all prize packages above $15 if you think it'll make a difference.
    I'm too dumb to have noticed it when I put in my two cents, but yeah, electronic would be good.

Either way, I'll figure out a way to see it when it goes.

Thanks!

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    I'm too dumb to have noticed it when I put in my two cents, but yeah, electronic would be good.

Either way, I'll figure out a way to see it when it goes.

Thanks!

Iain

Everyone who donates above $15.00 will receive a digital download of the film. Just decided its the right way to do this and makes no sense not to do so. Hope everyone is cool with that!

Splendid, thanks!

Iain

Whole thing sounds great but what's with the name? Kind of antithetical to the point of it no? Not a criticism but just a question.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Whole thing sounds great but what's with the name? Kind of antithetical to the point of it no? Not a criticism but just a question.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ject_faq_76912

Why did you name the film "Pretty Faces"?
    It's a double-entendre referencing the phrase, "more than just a pretty face" and it also references the mountains("that's a PrettyFace, lets shred that one!"). our aim is to show girls that there is so much more available to them beyond what they look like.

Last updated: Saturday Dec 14, 9:18am EST

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    I was going to ask the exact same thing. Especially after the reaction to the Freeskiier article last month about hot female skiers.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support this film, many of my friends are involved and at least a couple of the athletes are very close friends of mine, but even after the explanation above I am still don't quite understand the title.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I'm in for a few bucks. Cool idea, can't wait to see it finished. Good luck!

Dunno, I get the name, especially as the parent of a 15yo girl - EVERYTHING she does has an element of "how do I look" mixed into it.

Even if she's jamming carrots up her nose, "how do I look" plays a significant part. Pretty faces are part of it, yes, but there's MORE to it - and that's what I want her to know/learn/understand.

Our society makes girls want to be pretty. Ok. Hell, genetically, the femininas are wired to be the attractive ones - that's How It Is. (so glad I'm not a bird....waterfowl or otherwise, guy-birds are the pretty ones).

That's fine, if you ask me - not trying to CHANGE it for my kid, being pretty is important and all that, but she can broaden the focus a bit, it is OK to be pretty AND do rad stuff.

Thankfully, for me, she's not _completely_ trapped in "how do I look," she's a bit of a tomboy, but, well, yeah - kinda hard to articulate for me, but the name fits, in my head. At least, I "get" it.

Stoked to see progress on the kickstarter, a bit dumbfounded that it even has to happen - I'd have THOUGHT that <insert outdoor sporting goods manufacturer name here> would have ponied up enough to make it fly - overall scheme of things, they're not looking for a huge sum of money.

Wish I could help more!

Iain

The way films typically work is said sponsor gives money to get their product and athletes in the film. I know Lynsey could have gone that route, but then she wouldn't be telling the story of so many skier girls who don't have the support of sponsors. Girls all over the world are scraping together personal money to submit footage to this film. It's really quite remarkable and will be super cool if it works. So, if you have some extra cash, pitch in! Thanks and happy holidays, merry Christmas, etc.

Cool idea, is really cool to be able to get behind someones dream so easily and now i will get a cool movie to watch next October. This rules! I also do not like the name, sounds like what a guy would title it buy my ironic meter may be turned down too low
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

I like the title - it works. Not sure my wife would go for the whole ski with Lynsey for a day thing. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I like the title - it works. Not sure my wife would go for the whole ski with Lynsey for a day thing. ;-)
    I'm sure she would have a blast.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

No worries. I'll be more than happy to take your spot in the interest of saving your marriage.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Here's one of Lynsey's idea of a "pretty face."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face.JPG 
Views:	410 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	147340
    You should see some of the ones Rachael Burks makes.

Good idea, but Kickstarter is played... she should have gone with Pretty Girl Funding

She's might have some tough competition already though! An Epic Movie on Pretty Girl Funding
    www.DeathCookieEntertainment.com

Sometimes fear just means that you need to push your shins into the front of your ski boots and fuckin send it!

^^^Except that the site isn't live yet and the movie listed doesn't exist. I'm sure you knew that and am only pointing it out to bump the thread back up top.

Just so I'm clear before I post stuff elsewhere (I already have), with Kickstarter noone is charged unless they reach their goal, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    What is the "girl perspective"? But the fundamental reasons behind why people ski and the role skiing plays in their lives do not seem to have anything to do with vaginas and penises.
    The first thing Lynsey Dyer says in the clip on kickstartes is "if you grew up female in America you heard this: Sports are unfeminine."
    In my skiing life, I have never encountered anything but encouragement and respect from male skiers or anyone at all really.
    Why does this have to be about saving young girls affected by the problematic body image portrayed in the media?If so, fucking really? Is it because more people will donate?

Maybe my problem is that I don't consider myself a "skier girl". I am a skier.
    Your problem is you're analytical & you look at this through logic rather than emotion.

My problem is there aren't enough women like you!
    Calmer than you dude

I'm in for $30. Can't wait to watch the movie with my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Just so I'm clear before I post stuff elsewhere (I already have), with Kickstarter noone is charged unless they reach their goal, correct?
    Correct. At least my card has not been charged yet. You can process via Amazon.

Correct. At least my card has not been charged yet. You can process via Amazon.
    This is correct!

http://www.earlyups.com/videos/prett...-pretty-faces/

Bit of comedy Dyer sent us via email today. I know she's already filming at Retallack. We'd better get this thing backed! Ha.

Just bought the $30 DVD for my two skier girls, 7 and 9. I doubt they'll get all analytical about it, probably just watch and enjoy. They do most of their skiing with boys (sons of our friends) and that has benefited them a lot, but I think this film will offer them a valuable perspective that's kind of hard to find, especially when it comes to skiing.

Pretty Faces was going to be the name of the Vermont Kingdom Boys backcountry movie. I guess it will have too be Sticky Faces; a maple syrup face shot driven film: about dirty wool, light skis, leather boots and big beards. Only available on betaMax. Get low, hands high.
    I'm the best DPP in the West.