Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

Drive-by skiing advice/options for Aspen, Jackson Hole and/or more...

Due to recent circumstances I need to make a road trip from NV to IL and back. It would be nice to get a ski day or two or a few on my way.
    I'll be heading from NV to UT on 12/21 and then work my way east to be in IL before Christmas. I'll be making the return trip in early January.
    I'm fortunate to have some passes that will allow me to ski at some areas without having pay any extra money out of pocket. (I also have a Tahoe Local pass that gives me the added option of half off at Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek and/or Canyons if they're worth the effort and slight added expense,)
    I have a Mountain Collective pass that would give me the opportunity to ski two areas I have never been to before - Aspen and Jackson Hole.
    I would appreciate hearing how current conditions are along with any advice about accommodations, dining, parking (send parking secrets by PM please), etc.
    If I make it to Jackson Hole the choice is pretty easy since it is the one main option included on the pass.
    Aspen would involve deciding between Aspen/Ajax, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass and/or Buttermilk. Help with prioritizing these choices would be appreciated. (BTW, I mostly ski various Tahoe resorts and Mammoth.) I like variety and am blessed to have many great local choices.
    My Sierra at Tahoe pass includes 3 (non-holiday, non-Saturday) days at Powder Alliance resorts. I'm likely to ski a day at Snowbasin on my return trip. Would it make sense to go a little out of the way for Monarch or Crested Butte? Would it make sense to go further out of the way for Angel Fire or Arizona Snowbowl?
    I might also have the opportunity to do some Midwest skiing. Mt, Crescent, IA is high on my to-do list. Four Lakes, IL is on my to-do again list since it was the first place I ever skied. I'm also open to other Midwest suggestions if time and commitments allow since I'll be in IL during most of my trip. (I need to look up Skier666's Midwest TRs for added inspiration. I might also compare the Midwest resorts to my summer patchskiing locations.)
    Thanks in advance for any information, advice, and/or encouragement.

Chestnut is easily the best resort in Illinois and well worth a trip. I go once or twice a week either tues night, wed or sat sun so drop me a pm if you go.

In Aspen you will want to ski Ajax and Highlands first. Buttermilk is a beginner hill.

If you decide to visit Madison, WI I can hook you up with a lift ticket for Tyrol Basin. It's an ice bump but it has a great mom and pop vibe, not to mention a fun bar.

It's the Fernie of the midwest.

Because you'll be coming through here and you'll have a Snowbasin pass paid for, I would just ski there while you're in Utah unless you have people goading you into a day in the cottonwood canyons. It has some fun terrain, less skier pressure than the places closer to SLC, and the finest throne rooms in the land.

Jackson is worth driving a day out of your way for. Is Hostel X still around? I think they tried to fancy it up a bit and re-opened with a slightly changed name. Either stay there or the Motel 6 in Jackson, or over the pass in Victor/Driggs.

Aspen is a head of average on snow. Might want to consider a room in Snowmass for economy. If you really want to save motel in Carbondale.

Aspen's actually going off!
    Highland's is opening with 95% today, Ajax is 99 and Snowmass is opening Burnt Mt. Glades.
    Are you solo? I'd time my arrival early and stay in town one night for two days of skiing.

Mountain Collective includes 2 free days at alta/bird, doesn't it? I'd take that over the canyons... My favorite at aspen is he highlands -- but Ajax and snowmass also have their fans.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

All 4 mountains are skiing very well already. I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. And saying you ski mammoth and tahoe doesn't really tell me anything. If you're into hiking and skiing steeps, Highlands is the easy choice. If you're into rallying bumps, hitting fun steep lines, etc, Ajax has some amazing skiing. Snowmass is way more expansive. Some amazing tree skiing, fun drops from 5' to whatever you want to pony up for. Fun short steep pitches. You end up on the lift a little bit more there, But it's all good.

Jackson has gotten lit up with snow this year, we're doing quite well around Aspen as well. We're mostly open before christmas... which is amazing.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

IMHO if I were arranging a route I'd probably do this:
    21 Travel + Snowbird
    22 AM Solitude
    22 PM Travel
    23 AM Jackson
    23 PM Travel to Mid Nebraska
    24 Travel to Illinois

Go ski where you grew up, screw the rest of the midwest. Honestly.

Take I-76 on the way home and ski Aspen.

Taos is worth taking a detour if the snow's good...they have a base in the high 30s right now, that's bony as fuck. You'll get the terrain but it's going to be severely rocky. It's 12 hours from SLC to Taos and I don't see you having that kind of time on a trip like this. Same with Monarch and CB, fun with good snow but out of the way....so maybe if they're getting dumped on but if they're getting dumped on Aspen probably is too.

If you waste this time at Canyons let alone Angel Fire you're kicking yourself in the dick.

I'd save JH for the return, more snow and way fewer crowds.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Stay Aspen has last minute deals for the Hotel Lenado for $99/night for your time period. That's an amazing deal for a really nice boutique hotel that includes made to order breakfast.
    Aspen's skiing amazing and there aren't any crowds.

grskier is right-on with the advice on Aspen.
    Either Ajax or Highlands would be good choices.
    The better ski runs are not obvious at either of those two, so read the maps ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Go ski where you grew up, screw the rest of the midwest. Honestly.
    Quoted for truth, don't waste any precious vacation time skiing mole hills.

I'll go to Wilmot with you. 666 shot video there. Not great but a fun 2-3 hours.

Thanks to all for the quick replies.

uglymoney, Chestnut is a little out of the way, but if it snows on the return trip I could make it become on the way. Ajax and Highlands are higher up on my to-do list than Buttermilk. However, I noticed that the site says that Buttermilk has free parking. Is taking a shuttle from their lot the best parking option or are there other/better possibilities?

skuff, I enjoyed skiing at Fernie. I'll contact you by PM if I'm able to head north to WI for Tyrol Basin.

Sirshredalot, I'll probably ski Jackson on the return trip and follow it up with a day at Snowbasin, the schwankist ski resort.

whipski, Aspen's conditions have me leaning toward a visit on the initial trip out. Carbondale rates seem much more reasonable than Aspen. Is Glenwood Springs another reasonable option?

Shredhead, yes, I'm rolling solo on this trip.

Robgoose, yes, the MC includes Alta/Bird. I'm saving my days there for later in January when I'll be staying at a friend's condo at Snowbird. Is it possible to ski Highlands and other resorts on the same day using their shuttle system? (I've done as many as 6 Tahoe resorts in one day using my own car.)

grskier, of the types of skiing you mention I'm good with hiking, steeps, and also like finding pow in the trees. Not a big fan of bumps, but I can ski them if they're there. Being nearly fully open has me thinking that skiing Aspen on initial trip out, then hoping for more coverage at Jackson on the return trip.

YetiMan, I like the ambitiousness of that itinerary. I'd prefer to spend more time in WY, UT and CO, but obligations will put me in the Midwest for most of the trip. I laughed out loud at the Canyons/Angel Fire comment.

Tye 1on, sounds like good advice. Right now JH sounds about 50% open. Hoping for more snow prior to the return trip.

Shredhead, I looked for the last-minute deals at Hotel Lenado, but I didn't find anything for less than $399 there.

MtnM, Are there also stealth runs that don't show up on the map?

Millsie, I think that Wilmot was where I skied for the second time. I'll contact you by PM if I'm able to head there.

While looking at maps online I noticed that a few places are almost on the way.
    Any opinions on the worthiness of checking out any of the following?
    Snowy Range, WY
    Powderhorn, CO
    Seven Oaks, IA

Any others? Or should I just stay on the road for the big areas?

Seven oaks iowa is not worth your time, I grew up a few miles from there. Spent a lot of time there as a kid but there isn't much to it. Chestnut or even sundown by Dubuque iowa are better options if you really want to ski the Midwest.

Re-Alta/Bird (I would save it too)

Parking then shuttling from Buttermilk is definitely the cheapest way to go-- there's also fairly inexpensive public transport from downvalley (Carbondale/Glenwood Springs) but Aspen's a fun town in which to stay if the savings are not immense.
    You could use the shuttle system to travel inter-mountain in one day (and I've done so), but both AJAX and Highlands are each worth a day in their own right (especially if you intend to hike the bowl at highlands) and the goods at Snowmass take a while to get too and close earlyish.
    There's also free parking at Snowmass by the shuttle bus stop (but if you are going to Ajax/Highlands, I would use the Buttermilk parking).
    HTML Code:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	146777
    1st chair Saturday.

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	146778
    Bucket Head from the old Aspen Flyers was the only other skier there when they opened.

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	146779
    Highland Bowl prior to pillage.

Just stay in town. It's cheap now.

If you must drive up and don't want to pay to park at Highlands. Just park on the street somewhere near the 8th street bus stop. Buses come by at least every 15 minutes. I've never ridden the shuttle from Buttermilk, but can't imagine it's that often. Parking is free at Highlands Wednesdays and every day after noon.

In town, my bud's have been parking on South Aspen street everyday since 1A opened and haven't got a ticket yet. That might change over Christmas, but I wouldn't count on it.

^^^ jgr81, thanks for the beta.
    ^^ robgoose, thanks for the parking details. I'm hoping for an early arrival. Any breakfast recommendations in town or at a base lodge?
    ^ Shredhead, looks good. I'm really looking forward to it.

Hickory House, on the left just after the s turn coming into town.

^
    Thanks and a bump before I hit the road tomorrow. I should be in CO Sunday afternoon and ready to ski Aspen on Monday.

9" new out of this storm and more forecast. Did you find a place to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    9" new out of this storm and more forecast. Did you find a place to stay?
    Sounds even better. Found a deal for Comfort Inn in Carbondale on Expedia. It looks to be within reasonable striking distance of Aspen. Plus I will get a chance to compare Carbondales. I spent 4 and a half years in Carbondale, IL.

there's a direct highlands -buttermilk shuttle -- super easy and low stress
    HTML Code:

I skied at Powderhorn in Grand Mesa,CO this afternoon from 2ish til 4ish (They offer a late afternoon ticket for $25.) A fun little Mom and Pop resort. I even found a few untracked pow turns in the trees. Aspen tomorrow.