Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Grizzly Gulch Slide 12/9/13

Didn't see this posted yet. I'm speechless, glad she's ok, but speechless.
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/18960
    The vid, jeesus.

everything's cool so long as ya kin pull cord.

rog

I can't believe the photographer, her partner, had no gear...I mean, other than his 40lbs of Camera gear

Just glad all ended well and that people were in position to quickly help
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I first read this and thought of Colorado (so centric, I know); been waiting for this one to happen, and that one with the thread description I though was going to be the first real one in Colorado (Grizz Gulch, yes we share that nomeclature), and would have matched up in my brain with a very predictable outcome.

I've given up even caring. Idiots, fucktards, morans, naivete, wrong place, wrong time; whatever you want to label it, I just don't give a flying fuck anymore.

As a person, I'm glad she's OK, but we'll see 50+ of these this year, and most won't end like that, and I just don't have the energy to give a shit anymore.

Noobs will be noobs, and pros will be pros, and bros will be bros, and people will make mistakes, season after season.

I'm not immune, but I'm over posts like this. Boring. Wash, rinse, repeat. Poor decision making, avi, burial, same outcome, sometimes not.

Just not really interested. Maybe there's a benefit in posting for the recycling newb crew here, or for folks that get lax, but this will be my last post on an incident based avi thread.

It just gets recycled, or old, depending on your prospective on things. Same shit, different year.

Fuck I'm jaded.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

^^^^^^^^just like all of TGR. or any other forum.

rog

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    aint nothin surprises me round here any mo
    from avvy profesionals engaged in winter trundling and yippie ya yea cornice whompin multiple chutes to make their obs mo better
    To givin 100k to nitwits without avvy gear skiing the same [cough] backcountry line
    To the roj thinkin blunderin into a loaded wind slab and surfin the white wave of death
    makes ya an avvy expert.
    shits amusing and sad
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I first read this and thought of Colorado (so centric, I know); been waiting for this one to happen, and that one with the thread description I though was going to be the first real one in Colorado (Grizz Gulch, yes we share that nomeclature), and would have matched up in my brain with a very predictable outcome.

I've given up even caring. Idiots, fucktards, morans, naivete, wrong place, wrong time; whatever you want to label it, I just don't give a flying fuck anymore.

As a person, I'm glad she's OK, but we'll see 50+ of these this year, and most won't end like that, and I just don't have the energy to give a shit anymore.

Noobs will be noobs, and pros will be pros, and bros will be bros, and people will make mistakes, season after season.

I'm not immune, but I'm over posts like this. Boring. Wash, rinse, repeat. Poor decision making, avi, burial, same outcome, sometimes not.

Just not really interested. Maybe there's a benefit in posting for the recycling newb crew here, or for folks that get lax, but this will be my last post on an incident based avi thread.

It just gets recycled, or old, depending on your prospective on things. Same shit, different year.

Fuck I'm jaded.

X2

Especially with the new explosion of airbag propoganda and GoPros and phone cams. Now, with a weak snowpack across the west, every Tom, Dick, and Sally has an airbag, and their buddy has a cam of some sort, and every internet avalanche guru that needs to continually pump up their ego, we are headed toward an Epic™ smug storm.

Should we learn from the mistakes of others? Absolutely. Do we need to MMQB every incident that goes viral? No. People will continue to make mistakes, and someday, you too will make a mistake.

Bet she was a Pro.

^^^^ I was thinking the same thing.

so ridiculous- wish we could have some good ol' darwinism going on here without having others be in danger from their dumbass choices.
    No gear with the partner?! makes me want to heavily ridicule these people

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Didn't see this posted yet. I'm speechless, glad she's ok, but speechless.
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/18960
    The vid, jeesus.
    Not speechless any longer, just fucking hard to believe. How do you have a bag and your partner nothing. By the looks of it one could conclude she wanted to see what happens when you get caught. Now she can talk as if shes an expert, oh look at me, I survived an avalanche. The guy filming called it, saw it coming. Maybe she becomes the new Das Cunt?

"Dropping!", was this in Alaska?

"It was decided that the victim would go first since she was carrying all of her normal avalanche gear. "

Okay, so, hint number 1 that you shouldn't be skiing where you're skiing: it occurs to you that there's a decent chance you might have to use your avalanche gear. Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by JD May View Post
    Okay, so, hint number 1 that you shouldn't be skiing where you're skiing: it occurs to you that there's a decent chance you might have to use your avalanche gear. Jesus...
    And goes "full irony" getting buried with no one else in your group to dig you up.

Any "pro" should know better...seriously, who goes out on a considerable day without those things?!?

It would be pretty fucking sad and pathetic to die buried under only a foot of snow. It reminds me of what happened to the squaretop couple back in '99 both were less then 2 feet deep and the female was only a foot deep but no one there to dig them out. they died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I have farted and ripped out bigger pockets than that one.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Not speechless any longer, just fucking hard to believe. How do you have a bag and your partner nothing.
    Cuz it's the whole bag phenomenon, man. With the bag you need nuthin else. Brain included. I been preaching it for years now. Call me crazy

Rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    Cuz it's the whole bag phenomenon, man. With the bag you need nuthin else. Brain included. I been preaching it for years now. Call me crazy

Rog
    Rog- Just because one wears an ABS pack doesn't mean that it's carte blanche to take chances and not make the same EXACT decisions you would without one. This girl that got buried probably woulda taken the same line with or without an ABS. I mean anyone who has ever even remotely thought or learned about avalanche terrain would know that they were entering a bad terrain trap where she chose to take that turn.
    I wear an ABS and it's absurd to group everyone together that wears one as being 'risk takers' or that if you do wear one you cease to use your brain.

I'd say a far bigger mental factor than thinking the airbag makes you indestructible was familiarity with the terrain leading to complacency. Sounds like the skier had been on said slope multiple times before. Countless video clips and photos have been shot in that exact spot. There's almost always a kicker or two built there. It's a 20 minute walk/skin from the TH. You could hit a house with a snowball if you had a strong arm. It's just not scary looking to someone who regularly skis lines with consequence

you know what they say....complacency will kill you
    I agree with you though that it gives some people the false sense of security that they have 'skied it before' or 'there are other tracks are on it'
    Still the partner with zero gear is the worst offender in this story. But I guess she went along knowing that

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Rog- Just because one wears an ABS pack doesn't mean that it's carte blanche to take chances and not make the same EXACT decisions you would without one. This girl that got buried probably woulda taken the same line with or without an ABS. I mean anyone who has ever even remotely thought or learned about avalanche terrain would know that they were entering a bad terrain trap where she chose to take that turn.
    I wear an ABS and it's absurd to group everyone together that wears one as being 'risk takers' or that if you do wear one you cease to use your brain.
    Take what i say how you wish. I could care less if you disagree with my opinion. My opinion is just that and i stick to it.

Rog

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I have farted and ripped out bigger pockets than that one.
    yeah, but those pockets were on your pants. coffee officially spewed on keyboard when I read this.

If you listen closely to the video you can hear her 'last' words of
    'I'm nottt you're buddyyy guyyyyyyyyyy!!!'

Fuck I'm jaded.
    I arrived there around the Meesh episode. Whatever happened to that chick?

Glad there were responsible parties nearby who knew what to do.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    Take what i say how you wish. I could care less if you disagree with my opinion. My opinion is just that and i stick to it.

Rog
    Then go ahead and make gross generalizations. Pretty douchey way to go about life.

well put. sidecountry airbag heros will be the new norm.

(im not anti-airbag though) like any tool they have a time and a place.