Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4frnt Devastator 2013-2014 Mini-review

I skied the 184 cm devastators yesterday and the day before at Alta (5" new, cold as hell with stiff slow snow, early season snowpack, mostly chopped up by the time we motivated aka case of the only 5", pluto cold, down comforter nekid lazies.) Unfortunately, I was unable to try the 194cm. Overall, the 184s skied great. Extremely easy to turn wether carving or pivot/smearing (as easy to turn as the S7.) Stable and smooth through chopped up snow, crud, and skier compacted variable bumps. Stability allowed for a relaxed, centered and upright stance while skiing fast over variable; stability I expect will improve with the 194cm. Discernable sweet spot i.e. not vague. Railed hardpack/groomed just fine very damp. Easy to ski on one ski (stable and easy edge to edge transitions); In fact, I cratered under the Sunnyside lift because I was having so much fun dead sailoring that I spaced out and ran into the ropes. Felt most at home on chopped up variable snow in steep trees. The couple of times where I found myself bounced into the backseat (read: pilot error) it was very easy to recenter/recover at speed. I didn't hit any sizeable airs given the early season snowpack so I can't comment on landing. Weakest point was powder with the ski having a tendency to sink except maybe at the highest speeds (I'm 175# though and the the 194cm with 111mm underfoot will likely solve this issue.) In deep slightly wind affected and a bit chalky powder on a slope that was maybe 33-37 degrees the skis had less rebound than what I might have preferred for fun factor (for lack of a better word) but certainly got the job done and with more slope angle/longer ski would probably have been quite a bit better. Maneuverability was so great that I doubt the 194cm will feel like a handful and I would welcome the added stability to go even faster. I can't ski switch very well, but the devastator felt like it would be easy the couple times I skied switch at my not so fast switch speed (I really don't ski switch.) The devastator rocks. Caveat: I have not skiied a ton of different skis so who knows how helpful this will be to you...but wtf.

Anyone think of a ski with the characteristics (edit: does everything except ski switch well) of the devastator, plus the advantages of a more directional design (edit: and with better powder performance and a tail to straightline out of lines faster)?
    Last edited by skinipenem; 12-10-2013 at 02:43 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

cochise? bg? there's a handful. i too wouldnt mind demoing the 194.

Quick update after skiing these again.

Powder performance is actually really good for such a damp crud busting ski. Really good. My friend, a strong skier, actually liked skiing the 184 cm devastators in the powder more than the 196 cm Renegades (he likes more maneuverability and of course there is the length difference.) This particular friend wants to buy a pair of the devastators and has over 20 ski, mostly broken, in his garage (what a bum.) The skis come to life and allow for quite a bit of pop. The tails of the skis allow for easy ollying (sp?) to clear obstacles or for general goofing around. I was popping of some wind lips/rollers so effortlessly that I got carried away and landed on my head (should have tucked.) Incredibly easy ski that performs.

After one day on the devastator, I am very surprised. Fully agree with the good words skinipenem has written. I'll post more after more days on those.

Verb, I know you are a Katana fan. Is the Devastator a similar ski in variable snow and chop? I love the Katana but dislike the mount point (rec'd is more than -10cm from true center). I'm hoping the Devastator is like a Katana but with a more modern mount point (like -5cm from true center).

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Verb, I know you are a Katana fan. Is the Devastator a similar ski in variable snow and chop? I love the Katana but dislike the mount point (rec'd is more than -10cm from true center). I'm hoping the Devastator is like a Katana but with a more modern mount point (like -5cm from true center).
    I only spun one lap on it, and you'd be correct. The Devastator does have a more 'modern' mount point. Personally, I love a more traditional mounted ski, especially if I'm maching through the chop. But it works.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    After one day on the devastator, I am very surprised. Fully agree with the good words skinipenem has written. I'll post more after more days on those.
    Verb and Bobcat-

Where are your devastators mounted at?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    The devastator suggested drilling point is much more modern, as you say, and I was ininitially scared..... But it worksvery well in spite of my fear. The devastator, when on snow, it's not a katana. It's way more easy, and less "locked on snow". Said that, my first day was great but I definitely needs more time to understand whether it's easy as an automatic and charging like a katana (which would be my ultimate dream)

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Verb and Bobcat-

Where are your devastators mounted at?

thx
    Exactly as 4frnt suggests.....

Brief video on devastator, katana and cochise. Sorry it's in italian...
    Www.facebook.com/mountaininthecity

Brief video on devastator, katana and cochise. Sorry it's in italian...
    Www.facebook.com/mountaininthecity
    Verb-

Any follow up on the Devastator? I am in the market for a slightly friendlier, but equally capable ski for travel out west. The Katana is my go to for east coast "powder" days which typically involve very little actual pow and lots of crud with variable firm conditions below it. But for out west I'd love to find a versatile ski with a little more soft snow bias but that retains the ability to charge.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

K
    Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Verb-

Any follow up on the Devastator? I am in the market for a slightly friendlier, but equally capable ski for travel out west. The Katana is my go to for east coast "powder" days which typically involve very little actual pow and lots of crud with variable firm conditions below it. But for out west I'd love to find a versatile ski with a little more soft snow bias but that retains the ability to charge.
    The devastators look perfect for what you're asking.... Certainly better than katana and cochise in soft snow but still able to charge when you like so

Exactly as 4frnt suggests.....
    This was the case for me.

It makes the ski look short and ski short.

Sounds about right. I don't jive with Eric's style either.

So I'm kinda confused with all the differing comments. I can't quite figure out if it charges and people just don't like the more centermounted position, or it needs to be skied like a jib ski but charges better than most centermounts. Can you drive the tips, etc?

I assumed the Devastator was the offspring that resulted if a Katana banged a Sickle. I've skied both Katana/Sickle and was looking for a slightly more playful ski than a 191 Katana but more length and stability than the 186 Sickle in a 105-110 ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    So I'm kinda confused with all the differing comments. I can't quite figure out if it charges and people just don't like the more centermounted position, or it needs to be skied like a jib ski but charges better than most centermounts. Can you drive the tips, etc?

I assumed the Devastator was the offspring that resulted if a Katana banged a Sickle. I've skied both Katana/Sickle and was looking for a slightly more playful ski than a 191 Katana but more length and stability than the 186 Sickle in a 105-110 ski.
    If I can clarify in terms of other 4FRNT skis, it's like the Renegade in terms of stiffness, yet instead of tapered tips, it has a more traditional shovel shape. However, because of the Reflect Tech, you sill ski it like a Hoji or Ren, which is to say, centered-ish but shins-on-boots. This does not mean driving the shovels. The more centered mount doesn't allow for that and the rockered profile allows you to swivel it, if you want to think of it that way, side to side. Think roll your ankles and the ski turns, but it really responds when doing so on the fall line, in the steeps.

To your question; it does charge, but the centered mount gives it an un-natural feeling while doing so. Most chargers that I've been used to are flat-tailed, directional monsters. You can't drive the tips with the Devastator like you could with something like a Wren, XXL or RC112.

Clear as mud?

That's clear. Thank you.

any take on how these handle hard snow?

I currently have Cochise & Renegade and planning to add a Hoji for touring (and stormy inbounds tree days).

currently the cochise 193 is my skinniest ski, and it's not particularly great on hard snow. but also not particularly great in soft snow. It is pretty damn easy to ski though so it's becoming my daily.
    I wonder if I could replace it with a 194 Devastator and at least not be any worse off in the hard-snow department. Thoughts?

I like the talk of it handling soft better, and having a twintip is nice for days when I'm just skiing around with the wife.

I'm assuming I'll need a proper hard snow ski someday... or just not.
    I think really what I need is something like a 100mm-ish waist Devastator equivalent though.

Thanks for the review, but jeez learn how to use paragraphs.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

^^They do well on hardpack. Can't say how well they do on East Coast hard snow/ice though.

^if I was writing my own blog or working I guess I might give a shit about grammar and paragraphs. if stream of thought posting bothers you enough please edit my tgr posts if you like. i'll even pay you in 3.2% beer. granted reading my OP is a little challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    any take on how these handle hard snow?

I currently have Cochise & Renegade and planning to add a Hoji for touring (and stormy inbounds tree days).

currently the cochise 193 is my skinniest ski, and it's not particularly great on hard snow. but also not particularly great in soft snow. It is pretty damn easy to ski though so it's becoming my daily.
    I wonder if I could replace it with a 194 Devastator and at least not be any worse off in the hard-snow department. Thoughts?

I like the talk of it handling soft better, and having a twintip is nice for days when I'm just skiing around with the wife.

I'm assuming I'll need a proper hard snow ski someday... or just not.
    I think really what I need is something like a 100mm-ish waist Devastator equivalent though.
    Devastators are good on hard snow, but not as good as cochise ( which I like a lot on hard snow). Katana are slightly better on hard snow because of the minimal rocker. Devastators are better than cochise and katana on soft snow. Hope it helps....
    Last edited by verbier61; 02-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Devastators are good on hard snow, but as good as cochise ( which I like a lot on hard snow).
    Typo or awkward phrasing?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Typo or awkward phrasing?
    Typo, sorry... Not as good as cochise, which I like a lot on hard snow. Devastators are better on anything soft

My 193 cm Cochise delaminated and have been sent to factory. The stock is sold out for the season in Yurp, there is no replacement in sight. I've got the 194 cm Devastator for bridging the gap bevore new models arrive. The reviews sound quite positive. Out of the box, the ski has a nice rocker profile and flex. It's heavy like fuck, though, and I'm curious, is there any metal in or just woodcore? It's for sure a little heavier than Cochise which has tons of metal inside. So I'm sceptical - to mount it or just skip it and wait for the new Cochise? Or maybe get better the 191 cm Katana?
    If mount, the recommended line appears to me quite far forward. Has anybody experience with -2?

Ski them. Report back.

I'm skiing renegades every day this season because they're the skis I have and my new ski budget got eaten up by a water heater.

Which is cool, because they're awesome and I have fun. But I've been looking for a replacement for the Cochise (185) I traded away last spring because they kind of underwhelmed me. They didn't really shine anywhere, they were OK everywhere. Never an oh shit moment, never a holy shit moment. I'd rather a ski be a bit of a handful in certain conditions but return huge smiles elsewhere than just be quietly competent all over. Maybe the 193...?

Anyhow, eyeing up those devastators. This ski needs more reviews. Make it happen.
    focus.