Orvis Superfine Glass Video - maggot sighting

http://vimeo.com/m/80487870

Super pleased with the way this one turned out.
    Harvest the ride.

NICE! Awesome job!

Very cool. Thank you for sharing! Good to see more new glass!

Nice to see the TGR sticker on the truck too.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Nice, and despite my affiliation I secretly want a Battenkill V. Pretty please?!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Nice, and despite my affiliation I secretly want a Battenkill V. Pretty please?!
    Battenkill V, a solid back, full frame, click and pawl rumor. There is only one in the world and one can only hope there will be more.
    Harvest the ride.

Do it!!!

Missed this one! Makes me want a glass rod!

The new US Made CFOs looks pretty cool too. I am going to purchase one of the new Battenkill IIIs for a 10ft 4wt I just picked up.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Pretty sure I'm going to pick one of these up but I've got a question about the length. I'll mostly be using it on smaller rivers like the Provo and it will most likely see most of it's time with a dry fly tied onto it. I've only owned 5' 9#s in the past. I'm thinking I want to go with the 4# but that length seems really short. I've never owned a glass rod before, I'm assuming there's a reason they come in shorter sizes but I've got no clue what that is. Should I not be too worried about that length seeming short? This will be going into a quiver of a 9' 6# and a 9'5#, both fairly stiff rods.

What's the length on the 4wt? 8? 8.5? Short rods are fun. This won't be the stick you take out to cast 50ft on a windy day with a hopper pattern anyway. I think you will find the length will not come into play much after you get used to it.

I'd go with the 3 weight if I were you. Seems like the 4 is awfully close to the other 2 rods you have, and I would want more differentiation. I fished the 3 all last summer and loved it. The short length is great for small streams with lots of brush. These also have a way more modern feel than other glass I have fished, but still with those special glass qualities. I love it!

I fished that 3 on our tailwater here and brought some big guys to the net without much trouble.

I would fish the 7'6" 4wt on the Provo all day long. The 3wt gets really special for me at sub 30 feet. Perfect for smaller bushy creeks. Tele, were you on our field test program last summer, aka do we know each other?
    Harvest the ride.

Schwerty, the 4wt is a 7'6".

I was thinking about the 3wt but I figured with the 4wt being shorter and glass it's going to be so much different than the other rods already.

L8APX, No we probably don't, though I'd love to fish with you sometime. Media tester.

I felt I could cast that thing way farther than I should be able to. I even used it with some size 8 and 10 streamers up in the UP cause it was the only rod I brought. I was surprised at how well it did. I also cast some bigger hoppers with it, that should have shut it down. (As a contrast, I did not find this at all with Reddington's new glass, also a 3w 7'6".)

dfinn,

I have a few 5w and 6w's, all 9 footers. I also have a 4w 9 footer and a 4w 6'6"(orvis silver label full flex from back in the day). With the 3w around I only ever reached for the 9ft 4wt last summer, and that was only when I was going to be nymphing. There is a lot of fun water where you are, and the 3 weight is in such a sweet spot. My short 4 weight seemed a bit clunky when i had the 3 around. And I think they are in some ways very similar rods. I'm just trying to take a look at your whole quiver, cause I have no doubt the 4w Superfine is AWESOME. It's just that you will have a wider variety open to you with the lighter rod. If you do any high country streams, this is THE rod as far as I am concerned.

Right on Tele, glad you dig the rod. Look forward to fishing with you if you're ever in vermont look me up.
    Harvest the ride.

Nice to see Dave Jensen repping the glass. Good guy, great guide.