Airbag Users, do you wear the crotch strap? Every Time?

I'm not positive, because I haven't seen every bag on the market, but I'm pretty sure most have a crotch strap. However, I rarely see it being worn, actually I've never seen it worn in the local lift line by people who are clearly headed out the gates wearing their fancy new $1000 avalanche survival device. Obviously, a crotch strap is not a glamourous, cool, thing to wear around for the average hardcore snow bro, but it could be the difference between the device working or not.

I thought of this after reading this case study in the Canadian avalanche Journal about an accident where one victim did not have the crotch strap installed which may have at least partially caused his death. This was caused by the chest strap impeded his airway and, secondly, the pack prevented his arms from moving as it was lifted over his head.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzYn...R2M/edit?pli=1

Sad story, and who's to say a crotch strap would have saved him, but I think that it is worth discussing.

So yeah, do y'all wear that strap every time? Or maybe you stop to put it on before knowingly heading into avalanche terrain?

Yes. Last weekend I also noticed a lot of brand new airbag users not using them properly. What's the point?

The only time I don't wear my crotch strap is when I'm walking somewhere with the waistbelt open and trigger stowed. If I'm wearing it in the field I don it as intended by the designer.

I also buckle my helmet and wear my harness on glaciers.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Maybe they're wearing them on the inside of their pants

I always opt for the crotch strap.

crotch strap. lol!

rog

I don't on the approach but I do when I ski
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Yes....before I drop in....without it..it could be torn off thus negating it's benefit.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

If I have it ready to deploy then yes I have the thong on.

I have nightmares about that strap ending snagged on the lift while de-boarding or snagging on a small tree or something while skiing.

That said, I was 50/50 with it in the past. This year it will be there 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

Damn, never...

I must investigate.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

That was one of the first things Andrew pointed out when I got my pack this yr. Tres important.

FWIW last winter in the alps a couple of bodies were apparently found where the chest harness had ridden up and potentially strangled the victim (with crotch strapped stowed away the pack rides up your back in a slide).

Have just bought Mammut pack this winter - slightly concerned about the crotch strap getting caught on chairlifts / t-bars. However the pack isn't going to work as intended without it.