Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    How many of us really neeed more than 40 deg walk mode?
    IMO not many but consumers want the best even if they don't use it

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    I might agree but I suspect for totally different reasons.
    Both boots have a pretty good walk mode. Spectre some where close to 60. The Freedom a good bit less @ 40...but all of what is missing is going backward. Impressive 40 no doubt. So not that noticable for the typical ski boot climbing. By that measure the TLT series either has a bit more than 60 or the Spectre a bit less than 60.

On a room temp, carpet flex, not that it means much past a place to start the conversation.. the Spectre is a noticably stiffer boot than the Freedom SL. That observation is based on my personal experience this mortning. In a 28 shell the Freedom is a full pound heavier per boot compared to a 28 Spectre.

Some times perceptions of what should be, have no basis in reality.

Having a Freedom SL on one foot and a Spectre on the other for a few minutes this morning was an eye opener. You could have bowled me over with a feather during the experience. My 2 cent drive by the Freedom FL? Walked better than it should have, part of it the sole rocker but the walk mode is no question exceptional. Feels easier/better than a 40 degrees on the walk mode. But it is a short walk mode none the less. Not the stiffiest boot in the basket @ 110/120. More like a 110+/- for me than a 120. Nice intuition inner, old school shell, buckles and strap. $770 is a lot of money for that boot these days IMO.

Guess i should go read the Freedom SL thread.
    I have a pair of Spectres sitting here and have done the side by side with Freedom SL's as well. Completely different. FWIW I didn't think the Spectre was stiffer than the Freedom SL either but I didn't ski both, just carpet.

Tried on the Spectra today on the carpet, walking around I thought the walk mode wasn't as nice as the Mercury (without tongue/power strap). It's a nice boot for sure and fits really well.
    Last edited by sfotex; 11-16-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I will have to try it again but last season just for kicks I skinned with a tongue in one mercury and the other boot without the tongue AND I honestly didn't notice that much of a difference ... I zoned out and forgot about it till it was time to lock and load

either too many drugs or not enough?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I will have to try it again but last season just for kicks I skinned with a tongue in one mercury and the other boot without the tongue AND I honestly didn't notice that much of a difference ... I zoned out and forgot about it till it was time to lock and load
    Try it with the Powerstrap loose. I actually don't even bother tightening up the powerstrap. Huge difference to me Al

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau
    Whoa - Freedom SL is 27 deg walk mode.
    Sorry, of course I was giving the RS number in my confusion by mistake.
    Too many boots here on the floor. Clearly my mistake.

Are you sure we're talking about the same Scarpa Freedom SL? The one with the godawful euro colours?
    Yep, same boot I had on today. As you say, just an opinion. No reason to make stuff up all just an interesting education to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitledsf.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	144738

http://www.scarpa.com/freedom-sl

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex
    Tried on the Spectra today on the carpet, walking around I thought the walk mode wasn't as nice as the Mercury (without tongue/power strap).
    I think the biggest advantage of the Dynafit system is you can pull the tongue, leave off/unwrap the power strap and have a really easy boot to walk in. No question for me that the Dynafit walk ROM is the best to date. Biggest advantage of the Spectre is you have an amazing amount (imo) of walk mode with just a flip of the switch (one small walk mode lever) and still a very compact boot (no faff hanging about) that doesn't need a special pant to keep the snow out. Spectre ROM is good but it is not TLT ROM if you pull the tongue and power stap. I don't think that is a fair comparison of what either boot is really capable of either.

Not suggesting you're making things up dane - was just confusing especially wrt to Spectre - Freedom SL comparison . which IMO is still bewildering.

Spectre on its way to me. If it tours as well as the TLT5 and skis as well as say the Maestrale; at that price point we have another category crusher

I just read the entire Freedom SL thread. Consensus there looks like the Freedom SL is slightly stiffer than the Maestrale RS. Better walk mode on the RS and a better ski boot in the SL. That sound about right?

I skied the RS all last winter. Didn't buy the orange Maestrale first year out because I thought it too soft. Still ski a TLT P in the 5 or now 6 version more than any other boot.

I was pretty stoked when the Spectre showed up yesterday. By late last night I was second guessing myself while fitting the shell. Playing with my trusted Maestrale RS at the same time. 2nd guessing my own opinions again today as I we molded my liners. A couple of us tried on and carpet tested the Freedom SL and the Spectre while I was in the shop. Both of us surprised at the mutual consensus.

No question all three are very good boots. Most boots are very good these days..no flies on any of them. Getting them to fit perfectly is the only real issue at some point.

I have a few boots...all of them different. None bad. All ski well. As Lee has said before..."I can only ski so many boots!" Crystal is open. Time to put carpet theory to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau
    just confusing especially wrt to Spectre - Freedom SL comparison.
    Spectre on its way to me.
    Stoked! Really curious at your thoughts once the Spectre is in hand. Obviously the Freedom SL is a beefy boot. And I do understand how one might be bewildered at my comparison. I've skied most of my life in a plug boot. You can imagine how I look at the Freedom SL compared to a TLT or a EVO on the other end of the spectrum.
    Last edited by Dane1; 11-17-2013 at 12:20 AM.

We all have to trade. I would trade 40 rather than 60 deg of motion if the 40 deg boot skis better and weight the same...

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    We all have to trade. I would trade 40 rather than 60 deg of motion if the 40 deg boot skis better and weight the same...
    X2 on this. Interested in these Spectras mainly because they are new and my long experience with Sportiva climbing shoes but my Scarpa Maestrale RS boots rock! Such a beautiful progressive flex!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger
    my Scarpa Maestrale RS boots rock! Such a beautiful progressive flex!
    I am a big fan of a progressive boot. If you like the RS for that feature, you really should try on the Spectre. Better yet put on one of each and make a side by side comparison. It was quite a treat for me

Choices or trade offs? I think we now have choices which make the trade offs less of a concern. Even the worst boot of this group skis so well that I can choose a boot for my own personal priorities with only slight trade offs for ski performance. Do you want to hike/ski/ climb more in your ski boots? Least amount of weight? Do you want a high performance ski boot that you can hike/climb/skin in with relative ease? Weight o a big concern? People have been climbing and skinning in heavy, flat, smooth soled, plug boots for decades. Some of my current AT boots ski better than many of my old plug boots. Good time to be skiing! Better time yet to be earning your turns, or climbing in winter and want quick and easy mode of transportation.
    Last edited by Dane1; 11-17-2013 at 08:55 PM.

. Even the worst boot of this group skis so well that can choose a boot by our own persoanl priorities. Do you want ot hike/ski/ climb more in your ski boots? Do you want a high performance ski boot that you can hike/climb/skin in with relative ease? People have been climbing and skinning in flat, smooth soled plug boots for decades. Some of my current AT boots ski better than my old plug boots. Good time to be skiing!
    The trade off is money cuz I pay list for boots, IME the new AT boots are a generational leap over what I bought 5 yrs ago ... a good time to upgrade
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We tried counting the AT boots still in production from even '09/10 in Marmot yesterday. BD seemed the closest thing to old technology with a 2011 design still available. At least two big generational leaps since then. I ma sure there are others. Just the obvious stand out on Marmot's wall of the newest boot technology.

I think the biggest advantage of the Dynafit system is you can pull the tongue, leave off/unwrap the power strap and have a really easy boot to walk in. No question for me that the Dynafit walk ROM is the best to date. Biggest advantage of the Spectre is you have an amazing amount (imo) of walk mode with just a flip of the switch (one small walk mode lever) and still a very compact boot (no faff hanging about) that doesn't need a special pant to keep the snow out. Spectre ROM is good but it is not TLT ROM if you pull the tongue and power stap. I don't think that is a fair comparison of what either boot is really capable of either.
    I thought the mercury was stiff enough without the tongue, so I never used it or the power strap, so it was all ROM for me. Anyways, I have a pair of Spectres on the way, so we will see how they pan out.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Here is some feed back for ya. Skied a couple of hours in the Spectra today doing a TLT6 sxs. Found the boot easy to over tighten. Buckle system allows that. Rock shoe tight with little effort. It is a stiff boot tightly buckled. Unbuckle it one hole on every strap and run them a bit loose? Still a very good/snug fit on the inner/shell and warmer feet the bonus. Buckled up tight at similar tension levels it is noticably stiffer than my TLT6 with a black tongue. Loosen up the buckles and it is still a progress flex but noticably softer than a TLT6 with a black tonue. The shell's last and inner boot seem to have a mtn boot heritage (a good thing for me) for my foot's fit. Quickly obvious what boot actually works better for my foot's shape . Again suprised.

Weird nuances to this boot and lots of adjustment. Flex change caught me off guard. Kinda reminds me of the old Salmon SX91 lever to change flex. Had to stop and actually look at what I had done to recognise the full effect of a loose buckles/tight buckles. But easy enough to feel! Ankle cant, tongue positioner, forward lean adj, calf wedge and the buckle system of course are going to take me some time to get dialed.

So I am confused.

Is this boot stiff or a noodle? Is it only stiff when you crank the buckles down?

Will it ski and tour better than a RS?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Is this boot stiff or a noodle?
    Will it ski and tour better than a RS?
    It is no noodle. Yes IMO..on both counts. Some on the first question much more on the 2nd. I am waiting for more opinions myself but that is mine to date. I won't ski them again till mid week.

B - there are boots in the MEC Vancouver store. I haven't checked them out yet. I think you're a sz 27 and you're welcome to try them out after I get them

The Brave New World of ski boots, eh?

Very curious to get my slim, splay-toed surfer feet in these boots. I'm so silly happy with my mango Maestrales - haven't even tried the RS - which drive my Protests way better than my Nordica Speedmachine 12s, but the Spectra do sound interesting. Are they significantly higher volume than the Maestrales?

Looking forward to hearing more reviews trickling in during the N Hemi winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay
    Are they significantly higher volume than the Maestrales?
    Looking forward to hearing more reviews trickling in during the N Hemi winter.
    Lee get on it, will ya

So far my take would be less over all volume than a TLT or Maestrale RS. But a similar width at the top of the insole level--base of the sole, on the inner boot at the widest point, ball of the foot. I measured the inner boots with a digital caliper and think I got some accurate numbers that can be compared sxs on all three boots.

by the numbers:
    RS is a published 101mm (measured closer to a 102mm) and a published 120 flex
    TLT6 measures 100mm. No stated flex rating but closely comparable to the others IMO
    Spectre measures 101mm and a published 120 flex
    Last edited by Dane1; 11-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.

B - there are boots in the MEC Vancouver store. I haven't checked them out yet. I think you're a sz 27 and you're welcome to try them out after I get them
    I'll have to skip over the water and try a pair on.

Depending on how they fit I should be a 26, I am in the 25.5/26 shell for my Spirit 4's.

^^^ Call ahead first. I was told there were limited sizes

I live near MEC, have never tried on AT boots before and have somewhat wide feet, may as well give it a go later this week.