Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Move to the Coast. Range. Problem solved. (Joking obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    I still say bitching about early season storms and telling people not to gloat about skiing in October is stupid.
    I don't get that from RA's posts. All I got was the concerns about it developing into facets which it often does as you pointed out.

Ski on 18" over grass and rocks if you want. I do. Dont ski on 18" over rocks if you dont want. But what's there to gain from being a funsponge finger-wagger to the people who do?
    You and I read things differently.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Well I sure ain't trying to "dick wave" I really don't give a shit or be a fun sponge but my experiences have made me a little on the cautious side.

Early dumps are good dumps only when it keeps on dumping.

Quote Originally Posted by astralboy15 View Post
    Early dumps are good dumps only when it keeps on dumping.
    meh, ya if ya like crowded bc skiing. sketchy packs create quiet skiing zones. sketchy packs are more interesting and fun to look at, poke at, and be around. stablility leads to certainty, and there ain't no adventure in certainty.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    meh, ya if ya like crowded bc skiing. sketchy packs create quiet skiing zones. sketchy packs are more interesting and fun to look at, poke at, and be around. stablility leads to certainty, and there ain't no adventure in certainty.

rog
    Been buried yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Been buried yet?
    i have. got my attention, but didn't make me skerred. one bit. we are all different.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I don't get that from RA's posts. All I got was the concerns about it developing into facets which it often does as you pointed out.
    Yeah, he's right about snow metamorphosis but it was the "told ya so" tone that got me going. At some point couple years ago there was a the backlash against First Turns of the Season-type posts. Like this. At least it was kinda funny.

Then TGR/Griffin Post did a blog about the sins of "wishing" for early season snow. And that got re-shared all over facebook so that every time some psyched-up bro-brah posts a photo of his dog romping in the first snow of the fall it's immediately followed up by some unpsyched bro-brah linking that blog. I dont think it's what Griffin or TGR intended, but the blog gets used as evidence for the notion that anyone who's not bitter and cynical about early season snow is responsible the avalanche problems that follow. Which...what? Maybe I'm just not superstitious enough to 'get it.'

There were some other recent threads that rehashed more or less that same idea that if you're not angry about early season snow then you're doing it wrong. And then the backlash to those.

Well I sure ain't trying to "dick wave" I really don't give a shit or be a fun sponge but my experiences have made me a little on the cautious side.
    Fair enough about being cautious. I like all the stoke you post. Good music in those videos too. Seems like you're out and about in the mountains a lot and thumbs up to that. But it sure came across to me that you started this thread to validate the cynicism you've shared elsewhere. Just sayin.

Yeah, he's right about snow metamorphosis but it was the "told ya so" tone that got me going. At some point couple years ago there was a the backlash against First Turns of the Season-type posts. Like this. At least it was kinda funny.

Then TGR/Griffin Post did a blog about the sins of "wishing" for early season snow. And that got re-shared all over facebook so that every time some psyched-up bro-brah posts a photo of his dog romping in the first snow of the fall it's immediately followed up by some unpsyched bro-brah linking that blog. I dont think it's what Griffin or TGR intended, but the blog gets used as evidence for the notion that anyone who's not bitter and cynical about early season snow is responsible the avalanche problems that follow. Which...what? Maybe I'm just not superstitious enough to 'get it.'

There were some other recent threads that rehashed more or less that same idea that if you're not angry about early season snow then you're doing it wrong. And then the backlash to those.

Fair enough about being cautious. I like all the stoke you post. Good music in those videos too. Seems like you're out and about in the mountains a lot and thumbs up to that. But it sure came across to me that you started this thread to validate the cynicism you've shared elsewhere. Just sayin.
    Yeah you may be right, what can I say. I'm a very imperfect human and I'll try to curtail my cynicism a little, I don't want to be a stoke killer and truthfully sometimes I am. I get that way here at the Snowbowl sometimes when I'm too scared to go into the woods because of the low tide conditions and I think people are crazy for still doing so. Often days like that are followed by someone I know breaking something. I also get jealous of the skiers and boarders that get after it day after day even in shit conditions, I wish I still had that fire but I don't! So yep, I'm a good person but full of imperfections, but I'm also the first to own it and I keep it real. I hope that explains me a little not that I have to have anyones approval, just bored surfing the internet.

we are all different.

rog
    I'm not.

[/monty off]
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

when we were done we were pretty much walking distance to lone star..
    Sounds dangerous. I've eaten to the point of being uncomortably full 100% of the times I've been there. Maybe I should change it up from the fish burrito.

Those vids of SLC skiing are pretty hilarious. I was out of town when the foothills got 2 or 3 ft last winter, but from a couple of the pics I saw, it looked like Grandview and the hills above the City Creek hills right above the Capitol building were deep. Do you know who puts wiggles down the hill behind the Gorgoza tubing park off I-80? Someone skis the <200ft stripe where the gas line crosses every time it snows.

thin/low tide conditions definitely freak me out. so i don't ski those conditions.

rog

Sounds dangerous. I've eaten to the point of being uncomortably full 100% of the times I've been there. Maybe I should change it up from the fish burrito.

Those vids of SLC skiing are pretty hilarious. I was out of town when the foothills got 2 or 3 ft last winter, but from a couple of the pics I saw, it looked like Grandview and the hills above the City Creek hills right above the Capitol building were deep. Do you know who puts wiggles down the hill behind the Gorgoza tubing park off I-80? Someone skis the <200ft stripe where the gas line crosses every time it snows.
    pcarborist puts the lines in behind Gorgoza. He lives in Timberline. Grandeur from the top to wasatch blvd is the best line in the foothills not 7200 south. Only comes into shape about once every fifteen years. As for the bobble headed quarterlapper's expertise and roje for that matter, one comment. The best story is the year they were gonna run a heli outta Wolf Mountain(canyons). Low snow, then a dump so the avi expert(your guess) loaded his pack with bombs on the first clear day and eliminated snow cover with avalanche. Also eliminated all heli skiing in the area for the rest of the winter. So much for that idea.
    BTW, low snow years are more crowded in the BC than big years because of limited terrain choices.

Since you guys are in Utah have you run into this guy? He is my new hero. I love this edit.

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/...ce-ep-5/259101

Thanks for the info, wra. Yeah, meant Granduer, not Grandview. The WPG does run a heli out of the Can, dont they? Think it's one or two A-Stars out of LCC and that orange one out of the PC side, though they have to park it mid-mountain since their plans to put a heli base among their timeshares imploded. But I dont really keep tabs on their operation. There's a Warren Miller "Canyons" segment from last year where skiers are one-turning for the camera at the resort when they suddenly start cutting in shots of skiing 2000' gully lines that are somewhere in the S wasatch I think, all under the pretense that it's still at the Canyons. Pretty laughable bait-and-switch for anyone who's experienced that terrain.

Since you guys are in Utah have you run into this guy? He is my new hero. I love this edit.

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/...ce-ep-5/259101
    That'd be the poster right above you. http://wowasatch.com/

New Powderwhores movie has wra's Rules of the Wasatch. I heard those rules getting quoted by strangers on the skintrack last week.

ya, place will definitely fuck you you up after 10k+ of gain days. but oh those silly fork lodge pancakes

skiing is pretty hilarious. ^^^^could be craig. you ca tell his tracks from 10 miles away. so tight n short they look like tractor treads, or one greyish patch of track on a hillside. i used to do 1 turn to every 2 of his. and that was hard to do

rog

here's an amusing one of the man. skis figure 8 in 18 inches o fresh like it's 3000 vert. i was getting hungry waiting

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...C48AB9CDEF282A

rog

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    seemed like an i told yas so with a link to ofishcerealsuck.com bout an unfortunate incident involving someone who i'm pretty sure posts a bit here.
    perhaps he'll provide some insight
    some peeps ya laugh with
    some at
    funny either way
    if ya intperate or plan much round other peeps ratings on much of anything in life
    considerable chance your gonna miss sumthin
    be it good or bad
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

That'd be the poster right above you. http://wowasatch.com/

New Powderwhores movie has wra's Rules of the Wasatch. I heard those rules getting quoted by strangers on the skintrack last week.
    Nice. I was laughing so hard watching that, he seems to be a very real no bull shit kind of mountain town person, the kind of people that make the places we live in special.

Nice. I was laughing so hard watching that, he seems to be a very real no bull shit kind of mountain town person, the kind of people that make the places we live in special.
    trust me RA, bobs an asshole. for real. I can say that from IRL experience.

rog

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    trust me ra roj is a pouser
    i can tell ya that from irl exerience
    wows got rules?
    sure hope
    If you can't hang in the snatch take your sad ass back east is one of em
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    trust me ra roj is a pouser
    i can tell ya that from irl exerience
    wows got rules?
    sure hope
    If you can't hang in the snatch take your sad ass back east is one of em
    thought ya put me on ignore. ^^^^pretty funneh comin from a transplant that can barely put two turns together after 14 seasons of extreme pow skiing.

maybe you should hop up on that Wasatch obz soapbox of wow's and lend the guy a hand

rog

Just posting for fun here.

Early slides indicate dangerous snowpack

Skiers and 'boarders eager to shred are quick to underestimate avalanche hazard.

Story
    Comments

Print
    Create a hardcopy of this page
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:15 am

By Emma Breysse | 0 comments

Early snow has backcountry skiers and riders eager to start shredding, but at least two people found out this month that conditions are dangerous in places.

Two early avalanches, both of which injured the skiers who triggered them, have a lot of things in common, according to a Teton County Search and Rescue press release issued Tuesday that urged caution in the backcountry.
    3 Creek - In Story Quarter - 50k

“These two accidents have alarming similarities as each took place in early-season, shallow snowpack, very steep avalanche terrain, in known avalanche paths, and while the parties were traveling in perceived ‘safe zones,’” the release said.

“In both incidents multiple people were exposed to avalanche risk at the same time. Although one person was injured in each incident, the outcome could have been much worse with additional injuries and even multiple fatalities a possibility,” the statement added.

Sunday, 32-year-old Scott Dixon sustained a hip injury in a slide on Jackson Peak.

Another skier was injured in a Nov. 1 slide on Breccia Peak near Togwotee Pass.

Teton County Search and Rescue responded to both scenes to get the injured skiers out and on their way to St. John’s Medical Center.

Backcountry experts worry excited skiers and snowboarders could trigger more slides.

Teton Pass also is seeing heavy early-season traffic, said Pass Ambassador Jay Pistono.

Though Pistono isn’t yet on ambassadorial duty, he’s been in the area doing “preliminary stuff,” and he said the conditions have him worried the pass could see the next backcountry injury.

“We got a fair amount of October snow, and on high, north-facing aspects a lot of it stuck around,” Pistono said. “It’s had enough time to age and get a bit brittle, and when the layers underneath new snow have that foundation of stuff that got a bit brittle, it’s kind of spooky. None of the stuff we’re skiing right now is controlled.”

Being eager to start the backcountry season can sometimes skew a skier’s perception of how safe they’ll be, Pistono said.

He said he’s hoping to refocus the coming winter on a basic backcountry code: Don’t drop snow on the people below.

“If you want to take a risk and push yourself, that’s fine,” Pistono said. “There’s just not a lot of justice in getting dusted because of someone else’s decision-making.”

Search and Rescue volunteers, most of whom ski the backcountry, and Pistono, who spends all winter on the pass, had the same advice: Do your homework and be safe.

“[Search and Rescue] members want you to enjoy our beautiful backcountry,” the release said, “but we also want you to be properly prepared, have a plan, use good judgment, and do your homework before heading out.”

The release suggests checking out the Bridger-Teton Avalanche Center’s forecasts for the area a group plans to ski.

Currently, the center lists the risk for areas above 9,000 feet as moderate.

“There backcountry travelers venturing into steep, northerly facing avalanche terrain could trigger dense slabs up to 30 inches in depth,” the warning stated. “Daily warming will makes these slabs more susceptible to failure.”

The center also notes that Dixon’s avalance could “have easily been a fatality.”

“I don’t want to be that old white guy making judgments,” Pistono said. “We just have to be thinking about our decision-making. It’s part of being prepared to have our heads on straight.”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Just posting for fun here.
    Trollraker.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<