Thread: Ankle Surgery

Ankle Surgery

Has anyone had ankle surgery to replace/repair ligaments? I have a loooong history of ankle problems, lots of 3+ sprains and my doc recommended thinking about getting surgery. Not sure if I want to do that and was wondering if anyone has had this surgery and had any advice?
    Thanks

what ligaments??
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Mule, other than skiing what kinds of activites do you do? I basically have an ankle like yours, unstable. The ligaments in my right ankle are basically non-existant, possibly ruptured ATF and very loose CF and deltoids. The reason I ask about your activity choices is to see if reconstruction is actually necessary for you or could you get away with rehab of the surrounding muscles and get by. Over time my body has adapted to my unstable ankle and I have much more muscle control over it.

If you are really only doing some skiing and some bikiing why reconstruct? your ankle is not going anywhere in the ski boot. But if you are say, competitive in basketnall or tennis or something else like that then maybe think about it.

Is it something you could get by with in a brace?

Anyway just spitballing, get back to me and we can get into this a bit further
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Obviously skiing and a lot of biking and hiking in the summer. Also run a lot which is where it seems to bother me the most - I have had a brace since high school and had basically weaned myself off it until I ended up in another cast last summer for another bad sprain.

I really want to avoid surgery and just work on rehabbing it but I can't seem to get it any better on my own anymore

Vinman - anything special you have done for rehab that has worked for you besides all the standard stuff? - thanks.

According to the doc - all the ligaments in my right ankle are either completely gone or so stretched that they are pretty much useless.*(I should probably learn the actual names of said ligaments)

With most of my athletes with chronic ankle problem I am haing them really work on balance training. balancing on semi-stable surfaces like a foam pad and then moving them to more unstable surfaces like balance discs and the BOSU ball. Then after they can balance on unstable stuff moving them into dynamic stuff like jumping onto the BOSU and back off in different directions. It really forces them to pay attention not only their posture but aslo what the small muscles in the ankle are doing.

I for one don't really see too many people getting ankle ligament reconstruction. however, I am working at a small college theses days. So I'm sure they are getting done but I just don't see them.

If it were me and I was basically functioning at a hig level and not having problems I would not do it. But, if you just want to be able to do the things you like and not have to worry about your ankle anymore then maybe it is a good idea. one thing you should not do is go into this blind. Research as much as you can about your ankle, the anatomy, the procedure being done, and potential outcomes and then make an informed decision. Don't just take some doctors word for it or and especially not some intraweb nerd's say so. Do the research, be informed and make the choice thats best for you.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Thanks - currently leaning way away from the surgury but will definitely research it - appreciate the help.