Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AK vs. PNW

AK vs. PNW

Wife and I are looking at some new locations to live/work/play...

Asides from our current state (CO) we have narrowed the choices down to the PNW (specifically Bellingham area) or AK.

For snow sports...which cuisine reigns supreme?
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

AK is a big state with all kinds of different terrain/snowpacks. Hard to help you out without narrowing down the area a bit. I've never rode in WA so I'm not going to comment against it but alaska is pretty marvelous

And for what it's worth, if I had to move out of AK I would settle in the PNW

Lepow...we are looking at Valdez, Haines, Anchorage. I am a teacher so a lot depends on where I could secure employment (secondary or community college).
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.

Seward is often overlooked and shouldn't be.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

AK. The rest of the PNW is too crowded.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Definitely AK... Global warming BRO

AK would be like moving to a 3rd world country for most folks. Prepare for everything as you know it to either not be available or so fucking backwards you will want to kill someone or yourself; depending on the season.

Seattle is probably one of the few ski towns out there that doesn't even recognize itself as a ski town. Schralpental is probably one of the easiest access ski hills from a major city anywhere. Sorry Buster.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Seattle is probably one of the few ski towns out there that doesn't even recognize itself as a ski town. Schralpental is probably one of the easiest access ski hills from a major city anywhere. Sorry Buster.
    C'mon. Admonish me. Yeah!

Besides, everyone knows Whistler/Blackcomb is where it's at!

Hugh Conway Guest
    I take it you haven't been to any of the AK options or Bellingham, much less looked at google fucking earth? Bellinghams the farthest from skiing but nobody would kill themselves for lack of skiing at any of those choices. Everything else? Oof, no fucking idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I take it you haven't looked at google fucking earth?
    W000H000. More pr0n!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    AK. The rest of the PNW is too crowded.
    Yup, we're full, go away pls.

AK would be like moving to a 3rd world country for most folks. Prepare for everything as you know it to either not be available or so fucking backwards you will want to kill someone or yourself; depending on the season.

This=stupid

What's not available in AK? What is so fucking backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    This=stupid

What's not available in AK? What is so fucking backwards?
    Aw c'mon we see right through your faked incense.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    your faked incense.
    faux patchouli? mythic myrrh?

how about "how long does it take to get from Haines/Valdez to Anchorage so you can get that stuff" jed?

The weed is better in Alaska that's for sure.

The weed is better in Alaska that's for sure.
    Evidently.

We have been doing it longer, no hate.

Bellingham pretty much sucks. It rains all the time, and there are no real mountains anywhere. Baker is only like 10k. And hippies. Did I mention the hippies.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Anchorage is a great starting point in the state. It has almost everything most larger cities have in the lower 48. If you are looking for an urban setting with quick access to the outdoors, this is the place. If you are looking at lift served, this is one of the only places that will give you choices of areas in the state (besides Fairbanks, but who counts Fairbanks as part of AK anyways, it is TOO damned cold up there).

If you are looking at more BC options with near instant sled access, Seward as mentioned earlier is a good place to go.

If you can handle having nothing at your disposal, having to order nearly everything, including a lot of your groceries, and the nearest town with anything at all in driving distant being over 5 hours away, in the middle of the Yukon and in another country, Haines will work for you.

As for the PNW, there are endless possibilities also, on the east side of the Cascades in WA, you have a lot of skiing options within 1-2 hours of Spokane. You have backcountry, lift served, sled accessed terrain and both heli and cat access in Nelson, BC. The good thing about being east of the Cascades, especially in the Selkirks, is it is steep, deep, relatively stable and MUCH drier snow than the West side.

On the Westside, you have Alpental, a burly old schoolesque no frills area that is close to a top 15 city in the US--Seattle.

If you want a town a little more out there, a little farther away from people and a slower pace of life, check out Port Angeles. It has everything outdoors, including surfing and skiing. The ski area, Hurricane Ridge, has a rope tow and a poma and only runs on the weekends. HOWEVER, there is some pretty nice touring in the Olympics. The terrain is very diverse, so you can pick and choose destinations depending on your skill level and desire that day. Another plus of PA is that the ski community is small and on weekends, you can do roadshots all day and still have freshies every run AND a ride up the mountain by someone driving up--most people if they have extra room will stop and pick you up.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

depends. AK if yer willing to train for it. pnw if you own an umbrella.

rog

We have been doing it longer, no hate.
    S'ok; I'm just jealous of your parking spots.

Can't be any worse than the San Luis Valley...
    Last edited by F.D.V.; 11-06-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    Can't be any worse than the San Lyis Valley...
    it's like that. but 6 hours from the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    depends. AK if yer willing to train for it. pnw if you own an umbrella.

rog
    The only thing I train for is Cinco. Which falls on a Monday this year, so I guess we'll be celebrating Cinco de Cuatro instead