Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Tele could also change things. I'm on dynafits

Interesting that we both had the same impressions, could be teletarded I suppose. It seems like a big jump just for the different style (most often see tele mounts 1 or 2cm back). Though, looking through the thread there's no mention of anyone skiing the 186 tele at the recommended position (and liking it)...

I mounted them tele -2 cm. I like them, but felt a little forward. So, then remounted after skiing them a few times to -4 cm. I haven't skied them since the remount.

The guys at Voile are more than helpful with questions regarding mounts, give them a shout, i have mine mounted on the line with dynafits and Dalbello Sherpa boots which are pretty upright. Traditionally Telemounts are different.
    The factory line mount works fine for me with this setup but i use the V8's for backcountry and ski them in powder. Outside of a night of skiing groomed icy conditions on a small slope in Minnesota just to see how they would fair, but even then they felt fine.
    I absolutely love my V8's....
    I purchased a pair of 186 Busters this year but never had the chance to ski them, would like to hear any thoughts on them, i mounted them with Marker tour F12's, was hoping to get a deep powder day on them but it wasn't to be last week in Jackson. Backcountry Skiing up at the Plummer Yurt on the V8's was great and groomers at the Village on the Rossi Experiance 98's were the perfect setup...
    Last edited by iamchappy; 03-02-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Been doing extensive research on TGR, and looking for some more feedback on this ski. Im 6 ft 180lbs thinking about getting the Voile V8 186cm as a dedicated powder touring ski, and have some questions.

- How is the flex on these? Soft, medium, stiff?
    - I usually ski rockered skis in 180-190cm, is 186cm in these ideal? Rather not size up to 193, for more efficient touring.
    - Do they really ski that small? Seems like the tail rocker is mild, so I wouldn't think that would be the case.
    - Despite the smaller turn radius, are they still comfortable making fast medium to long radius turns?
    - Can they charge?

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Been doing extensive research on TGR, and looking for some more feedback on this ski. Im 6 ft 180lbs thinking about getting the Voile V8 186cm as a dedicated powder touring ski, and have some questions.

- How is the flex on these? Soft, medium, stiff?
    - I usually ski rockered skis in 180-190cm, is 186cm in these ideal? Rather not size up to 193, for more efficient touring.
    - Do they really ski that small? Seems like the tail rocker is mild, so I wouldn't think that would be the case.
    - Despite the smaller turn radius, are they still comfortable making fast medium to long radius turns?
    - Can they charge?
    Voile doesn't like to venture too far from its roots of Keep it Stupid Simple, so the rocker profile and contacts are pretty much the same as the 186. They basically carbon copied the first generation S7 for the shape and profile, and thats why it skis pretty good (Notice the dimensions on the 2017 Voile Supercharger vs 2015 Salomon Q-105/2016 QST 106) They can charge in the fresh, but get bucked around a bit in heavier, variable snow and flap like a bird on chunder, same as the 2012 Rossi S7. The 186 is a better choice for all-around but there are IMHO better choices available for about the same price these days.

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    there are IMHO better choices available for about the same price these days.
    Curious which skis you prefer

http://www.praxisskis.com/skis/gpo/

...not in the same weight class but you're no longer limited by your skis ability to handle less-than-ideal conditions if you happen to find yourself navigating through them...

...and Im not saying the V8 is a turd, it works great in alot of conditions, but it is limited on its speed limit in certain conditions—± mainly due to its weight and simple construction...

Like an old-school company, Voile makes nice light skis that gain their following more from the shape vs the construction. Most all of their skis use the same carbon-fiberglass, aspen core and cap construction. The only thing that really changes are the tools and the mold. You just can't really ski them too aggressively (I'm sure some will argue) in anything less than powder or they fall apart like any light touring ski. If your a smooth skier that just cruises, their just fine. If you occasionally want to "charge," NO, look elsewhere.

FYI-I not in any way affiliated/work for Praxis either, I just learned most everything about them here.

http://www.praxisskis.com/skis/gpo/

...not in the same weight class but you're no longer limited by your skis ability to handle less-than-ideal conditions if you happen to find yourself navigating through them...

...and Im not saying the V8 is a turd, it works great in alot of conditions, but it is limited on its speed limit in certain conditions—± mainly due to its weight and simple construction...

Like an old-school company, Voile makes nice light skis that gain their following more from the shape vs the construction. Most all of their skis use the same carbon-fiberglass, aspen core and cap construction. The only thing that really changes are the tools and the mold. You just can't really ski them too aggressively (I'm sure some will argue) in anything less than powder or they fall apart like any light touring ski. If your a smooth skier that just cruises, their just fine. If you occasionally want to "charge," NO, look elsewhere.

FYI-I not in any way affiliated/work for Praxis either, I just learned most everything about them here.
    Thanks for your feedback. Definitely seems like the V8 is not "enough" ski then, you've confirmed my suspicions. Also have been looking at the GPO in ultralight layup, which could serve well as a powder touring ski. Ended up finding the old Voile Charger 191, and picked up a pair of those new for cheap. Seems like a more burly ski than V8 and would suite my needs well. Still a reasonable touring weight, similar size/width to V8 but has a larger turning radius and a 2nd layer of carbon/fiberglass.

Thanks for your feedback. Definitely seems like the V8 is not "enough" ski then, you've confirmed my suspicions. Also have been looking at the GPO in ultralight layup, which could serve well as a powder touring ski. Ended up finding the old Voile Charger 191, and picked up a pair of those new for cheap. Seems like a more burly ski than V8 and would suite my needs well. Still a reasonable touring weight, similar size/width to V8 but has a larger turning radius and a 2nd layer of carbon/fiberglass.
    The Charger is better but only a little bit, and still features Voile's classic tip flap, flip flop, wobble wobble till the edge grip is gone construction on variable firm and thicker variable snow for people that sometimes buckle their boots and ski faster than 15mph. Most of their competition has addressed those issues with lighter weight skis with some clever engineering and design but Voile seems to still prefer to just do big ad buys to win editors choice awards in BCmag.

In unbroken pow, it's named appropriately, just mind ruff runouts with speed and you should enjoy them well.

The Charger is better but only a little bit, and still features Voile's classic tip flap, flip flop, wobble wobble till the edge grip is gone construction on variable firm and thicker variable snow for people that sometimes buckle their boots and ski faster than 15mph. Most of their competition has addressed those issues with lighter weight skis with some clever engineering and design but Voile seems to still prefer to just do big ad buys to win editors choice awards in BCmag.

In unbroken pow, it's named appropriately, just mind ruff runouts with speed and you should enjoy them well.
    Interesting, with those different specs thought they would be considerably better, especially with less tail rocker giving it a longer effective (and theoretically being more stable). Anyone else with experience on the Charger 191s? Have you skied the GPO Ultralight 187s? I agree that it seems like the GPO might be a better option if they come out at the same weight. Charger 191s are supposed to be 8lbs 12oz (blister weighed the Charger BC 191 lighter at around 8lbs), and GPO Ultralight 187s ive seen weighed at 8lbs 9oz. Appreciate all your feedback and help!

I've had the 181 Chargers for about 5 years. I'm 5'8 155, for me they're a blast, and they do charge, at least by my standards. I'm probably more of a finesse skier than most though, and tend to mostly ski good snow.

I've demoed the V8's and thought they were far too squirrely for my taste. I'm more of an old school, finish your turns kind of guy, as opposed to new school smearing, if that makes any sense.

I've never had a problem holding an edge on 181 or 191 Chargers or 180 Vectors. I like the vectors better in softer snow though. Seems strange since they are a narrower ski.

No not the Ultralight, a coworker has the 82 Ultra and loves it though. I'm trying to convince him to sell me them since he's broke and back in school.

FYI, Charger BC from 2013 and on has the same glass (carbon bottom/regular top) as the V8. Main problem on the Charger is the tip height and long rockered nose. Without removing any weight in the tip or adding things to reduce vibrations they can flutter a bit more than normal and that translates down the ski= skittish at speed. Like I said, they're fun in the fresh, but can be a little wild if you push it.

FYI Im 6' and 185lbs before 5pm.

No not the Ultralight, a coworker has the 82 Ultra and loves it though. I'm trying to convince him to sell me them since he's broke and back in school.

FYI, Charger BC from 2013 and on has the same glass (carbon bottom/regular top) as the V8. Main problem on the Charger is the tip height and long rockered nose. Without removing any weight in the tip or adding things to reduce vibrations they can flutter a bit more than normal and that translates down the ski= skittish at speed. Like I said, they're fun in the fresh, but can be a little wild if you push it.

FYI Im 6' and 185lbs before 5pm.
    Wow didnt know that thanks. That makes a big difference! I read somewhere that they had a different layup than the V8 (now thinking about it, it was an old review of the one with the artistic topsheets, so I think you're right about them being different pre-2013) so without that second layer of carbon its the basically the same ski. Glad I checked in on this! Any other ideas than GPO ultralight?

Any thoughts on the Voile V8?

I don't get how you can get edge grip issues in thick snow. If snow is soft (thick or not) and has density, the ski will cut into it. Its not really the edge thats gripping anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I don't get how you can get edge grip issues in thick snow. If snow is soft (thick or not) and has density, the ski will cut into it. Its not really the edge thats gripping anymore.
    It still gets bucked around in chop/crud (I didn't call it the right thing I guess) enough that I couldn't ski all that aggressive for that size of ski. I'm not that big of a guy but I often felt the ski hinging in front of the toe—going flat underfoot—hinging behind the heel on both Marker F12s and Dynafits, if I even came close to pressing harder mid-turn in all conditions aside from untracked.

Any other ideas than GPO ultralight?
    Not off the top of my head, I skipped out on the demo circus last year. And for clarity, I skied the V8 and Charger for the last three seasons exclusively without incident (other than skier error and an Mf12 self-destructing mid turn) until last spring when I got on the GPO and was completely fucking blown away by the confidence it provided me. I don't ski any faster/more aggressive on them, I just know that I can trust that ski to have better compliance for most any condition. </rant>

Not off the top of my head, I skipped out on the demo circus last year. And for clarity, I skied the V8 and Charger for the last three seasons exclusively without incident (other than skier error and an Mf12 self-destructing mid turn) until last spring when I got on the GPO and was completely fucking blown away by the confidence it provided me. I don't ski any faster/more aggressive on them, I just know that I can trust that ski to have better compliance for most any condition. </rant>
    Awesome, I'm sold. GPO sounds like a great setup then. Did they float well in deep powder? Any problem with tip dive?

No tip dive in 16" April fluff morning to mank busting PM beer runs was the only untracked I got to run them through repeatedly. 2nd gen Scarpa Freedom Sl drove em w/o any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    How do the chargers and V8 compare? I guess the V8 has more tail rocker.
    I have the Chargers in a 181 and V8 in a 186. The V8's actually turn with less effort in all conditions. Something to do with the tip design and rocker I think. The float is amazing as you might expect. Nothing Charges like a Charger but the V8 is a really sweet ski. They are about the same on hardpack. If you can only have one, get the V8.

Awesome, I'm sold. GPO sounds like a great setup then. Did they float well in deep powder? Any problem with tip dive?
    You might want to take a look at the Voile Supercharger. That's what I got for this year. I've not had it in powder yet but my inbounds training runs have been fabulous on that ski. Grips like a surgeons scalpel on manmade. Stiffer than my V8's and easier to turn than my Chargers. I am way sold on this ski. Great confidence in variable terrain. Needless to say I love Voile skis, their careful design, and their custy service. It's nice supporting the little guy that makes their skis with meticulous attention to detail right in SLC.

I am 6'1" - 180 lbs - NTN tele on Outlaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnem View Post
    I have the Chargers in a 181 and V8 in a 186. The V8's actually turn with less effort in all conditions.
    I have both (BC version of the Charger.) Sure, the 186 V8 turns easier because it has a tighter radius and it's the equivalent 174cm flat-tail ski with 12cm of turned up tail. 181 Charger skis bigger than 186 V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnem View Post
    If you can only have one, get the V8.
    I'm on the opposite side of this. I like the 186 V8 and give it the edge in deep pow but its nowhere as versatile as the 181 Charger, which I prefer in all but the deepest.

Different sticks for different hicks.

Update: after 3 days on 193cm V8s: Very different ski than the 186. 193 skis way bigger, less twitchy, more fun for me.

Re factory center: Weird for sure. Compared to 186, the 193 has 6cm more tip but only 1cm more tail when mounted per factory. So, yeah, arithmetic suggests 186 factory center spec is c. 2.5cm too far forward. But if so, why wouldn't Voile correct this?

I still think original Charger is the more versatile ski. Supercharger dims look good.

(Note that I whacked off some tail to facilitate kick turns, didn't seem to change skiing characteristics.)

After skiing the 186 volie v8 mounted on the line for a few years now, I enjoy the ski but if you drive them to hard you will fight from going over the handle bars, not a ski you can charge on and dig deep trenches, but nice shaped turns controlled speed in powder there great, you just need to know there limit. I can drive my 186 volie busters without the added drama when I push them. I do think I would like the v8s mounted back abit as I do most of my skis.