Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Is Bigdude afraid the chicks in the GMD aren't going to think he's the only hardcoremofo in there?

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    In fact bacon is required to go to some outer areas
    Mmmmm. Bacon!
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

20 years ago most all of us alta emps wore our peips 457 optifinders every day inbounds. It was just part of our daily dress. good form.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    What's with the gapers that all of a sudden are walking around the GMD (maybe others places too) wearing their beacons? No skins, no gear, no tele or tech set ups, just alpine boots and a beacon they probably can't operate. Not dumb ass kids but seniors. I asked one if he was going out of bounds, he answered "you never know", yea I do know. I realize there was an in bounds incident back in December but REALLY!!! I figure if you aren't carrying a shovel don't walk around like you know what the fuck you are doing.
    You're pretty ignorant of the concept that snow is inherently unpredictable and post control release does happen. Everyone I know beeps inbounds daily regardless of conditions. I roll with full gear on big days/new terrain openings even when I'm not planning on exiting the resort.

This was a little before your time but shit does happen.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 02-14-2014 at 12:13 AM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

UDOT will be conducting avalanche artillery work 2/13/14. Backcountry closure: N.side of LCC, Lisa Falls to Grizzly Gulch, midnight to 0830. Hwy 210 road closure at 0615 at Gate B, est. road opening @ 0830.
    If you dawn patrol, you should follow us @UDOTavy

Thanks,

Brad Davis

What's with the gapers that all of a sudden are walking around the GMD (maybe others places too) wearing their beacons? No skins, no gear, no tele or tech set ups, just alpine boots and a beacon they probably can't operate. Not dumb ass kids but seniors. I asked one if he was going out of bounds, he answered "you never know", yea I do know. I realize there was an in bounds incident back in December but REALLY!!! I figure if you aren't carrying a shovel don't walk around like you know what the fuck you are doing.
    Kook alert. Beat it, custy.

Bigdude is clearly in the dark about the actual numbers of inbounds fatalities over the last several years, nevermind all the near misses... Like when gad2 slide 5 feet deep right under the lift during operating hours.

Edit: It was snowing a wet, velvety and fast snow above about 8000 today. found some small pockets of windloading along the PC ridgeline that were sensitive and frctured about 6-8" deep. once you got down off the ridge the settled snow was skiing very well with no obvious instability noted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    full bore winter atop the lcc
    vis sucked as hard as some of youes cuntalicious contributions
    observered the earn your michigan shitty turns aboard the the luxery of a diesel fume spewin cat road goin in

free donuts n hot beverages
    skied a shot down to the lake
    skied bomber
    headed back up amist the
    wind rimed particles and face stinging needles with a stout nw winds

inside the pingpong ball vertigo inducin at times
    sun managed to peeked out once or twice

some wind funk atop patsey and pretty slabby with cracks willing to propigate
    till we got down a bit off the drive in movies ridge
    fastn creamy with face shots available switch 2 the summer road
    go old man winter
    and bless us ullr
    oh yeah someone asked me to use my marginal social media skills to remind U

leg en dairy shizz right there
    if only we could get a caroline duet
    Id istagrammytwatterlike that
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

leg en dairy shizz right there
    ^^ classic parody kowboy

[QUOTE=bigdude2468;4183996
    "you never know".[/QUOTE]

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

I bring my gear on a lot of marginal days and stash my pack at the top of my home hill, cause you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    You're pretty ignorant of the concept that snow is inherently unpredictable and post control release does happen. Everyone I know beeps inbounds daily regardless of conditions. I roll with full gear on big days/new terrain openings even when I'm not planning on exiting the resort.

This was a little before your time but shit does happen.
    link didn't work
    sip heather
    you are foolish if you think you are immune to avvy dangers or other potential life ending situations in the confines of our world class resorts
    summit chair probably got shut down early last sat for a good reason.
    please do not kid yourself or others.
    Last edited by skifishbum; 02-13-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'm not up on all the avy terminology, but what is a ding avalanche?
    Is it like a dingleberry? Only with fecal matter running full track.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I'm not up on all the avy terminology, but what is a ding avalanche?
    Is it like a dingleberry? Only with fecal matter running full track.
    I wonder if an avalanche has ever been triggered by explosive diarrhea?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I wonder if an avalanche has ever been triggered by explosive diarrhea?
    Only if straight lined........

rog

saw 3" or so early in bcc. rain level was higher than expected. rode a SE aspect off little water that had nicely spaced trees mixed in with some open areas. did not experience any collapsing or notice any instabilities. turns were good, snow was heavy which made for fun trail breaking as it was sticking to both skis and skins. some low angle fun.

hey claymond, did you ever find a replacement for your resort board... may have found one for you if you need a lender for a few months.

I went to White Pine this afternoon (1-3 PM). Needed skin wax but did not have any. Luckily I did put some glide wax on my ski bottoms before leaving home, however. Can't say I had the same fun as getoutside. On my drive home it was raining from about Gate B down, pretty heavily at the mouth of LCC.

If you go tomorrow (when the forecast is for even warmer temps) be sure to wax your bottoms and take skin wax.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    saw 3" or so early in bcc. rain level was higher than expected. rode a SE aspect off little water that had nicely spaced trees mixed in with some open areas. did not experience any collapsing or notice any instabilities. turns were good, snow was heavy which made for fun trail breaking as it was sticking to both skis and skins. some low angle fun.

Hey getoutside, I've been riding my old Never Summer board I rode last year, still looking for a replacement. I'd hate to borrow a board, because snowbird seems to have a tendency to cause damage very quickly haha. Appreciate the offer though, and if you'd like to sell it PM me. Thanks!

link didn't work
    sip heather
    you are foolish if you think you are immune to avvy dangers or other potential life ending situations in the confines of our world class resorts
    summit chair probably got shut down early last sat for a good reason.
    please do not kid yourself or others.
    Ah, fixed.

Snowing and graupeling heavily up in LCC this evening from close of lifts till I came down about 8. Should be good tomorrow but it's gonna heat up quick.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

UDOT -Avalanche Artillery work 2/14. A Backcountry Closure is in effect: North side of LCC, Lisa Falls to Grizzly Gulch, Midnight to 0800. Road Closes at gate B at 0615, estimated reopening at 0800.

Thanks,

Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by lhitchner View Post
    Can't say I had the same fun as getoutside
    hey lhitchner, my attempt at sarcasm didn't come across. breaking trail blew ...it was like skinning with ankle weights on. good call about the skin wax.

AVALANCHE WATCH
    AN AVALANCHE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE OGDEN, SALT LAKE, PARK CITY AND PROVO AREA MOUNTAINS. DANGEROUS AVALANCHE CONDITIONS EXIST ON MOST ASPECTS AND ELEVATIONS. THE AVALANCHE DANGER IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE THROUGH SATURDAY WITH INCREASING WINDS AND WARMING TEMPERATURES. THOSE WITHOUT EXPERT LEVEL AVALANCHE SKILLS SHOULD AVOID BACKCOUNTRY TRAVEL. uac

damn what a dif a few hours and the increased load can do

looks like it may of broke right at the traverse out to peek into the gut that ive had a few memorable runs down

def a high consequence area
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/20486
    damn tuco good thing we all had that safety sess
    well it could be worse out there
    Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    ..in celebration Valentines Day Massacre a "weird" snow pack paper.
    thanks 4 the history lesson

And I do not believe it is fairly standard for skiers at areas (Alta) with avy terrain. The questionable terrain is not accessible until patrol has cleared it AND side country is backcountry so that point makes no sense. I am convinced it is for the most part just JONGS.
    I've only been around Alta for a few years, but it's been standard for skiers here for as long as I've been around to observe it. If you have been skiing here the past week and haven't seen any moving snow inbounds, I suggest you take a ski lesson so you can feel more confident when you graduate from Sunnyside.

wearing a beacon inbounds on heavy snow days is never a bad idea. in all honesty, wearing it driving up little cottonwood is a good idea as well. if you think surprise slides have never hit the road and washed cars off, you're kidding yourself. we have some of the best snow safety guys in the world working in this state but at the end of the day, the mountains are a wild place. shit happens.

back to the backcountry obs and away from resort bickering...
    pit from up on 10420 yesterday:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2:14.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	150683not a lot of propagation on ECTs. i attribute a lot of that to the warm temperatures and increased ability for the snowpack to absorb energy. as we've seen the past few days, that doesn't mean that large deep slabs can't happen

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    in all honesty, wearing it driving up little cottonwood is a good idea as well. if you think surprise slides have never hit the road and washed cars off, you're kidding yourself. we have some of the best snow safety guys in the world working in this state but at the end of the day, the mountains are a wild place. shit happens.
    Which is exactly why they manage the road completely different these days.
    You're kidding yourself if you think this has never happened in the other Cottonwood either.