Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Hate that they changed the line up especially the Cochise
    DDsnake I have some 2013 bodacious 196cm skied maybe 20 days I'd sell. pm me if you want em. Too much quiver overlap for me
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

I would wait to ski them before you pass judgement. If you're in UT and want to ski the new ones PM me and we can figure something out I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DDsnake View Post
    All this talk makes me think I need a pair of the old long Bodacious …
    I have on OG 196 skied maybe 5 days drilled once for fks at 306mm...

Quote Originally Posted by hardkorps View Post
    Hate that they changed the line up especially the Cochise
    DDsnake I have some 2013 bodacious 196cm skied maybe 20 days I'd sell. pm me if you want em. Too much quiver overlap for me
    I don't think making them softer is going to turn many people off. By no means have they lost the ability to charge...

Wasatch
    Sure they will be awesome
    for me personally I didn't like the changes when I skied them at the demo day. My favorite thing about the Cochise was the flat camber profile underfoot with changes they still skied fine just not the same feeling the original had so for me the new profile just doesn't work as we'll but I'm sure it is great for others. My buddy skied them and loved them but had never skied the old. I still love my 2013 Cochise and loved the bodacious as well
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

Better Bodacious = Spurs
    Better Cochise = Carbon Katana

That's my experience of this season. Started with Cochise 193 cm, ended on Carbokatana 191 cm. Spurs for the deeper days. I don't need more.

Just got done with a surprise spring pow day on the 2015 186 Bodacious. It continues to fucking rock.

200lbs, 5'10" and no trouble at speed in the blower, or the chopped up mank after it warmed up.
    I have not yet skied the Spur or the Vwerks Katana.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Hey kc, I would definitely demo before buying. I've never skied Cody's so I can't comment on how similar they are to the gaucho, but I thought the gaucho skied like total shit. While I was riding the gondola several of the guys who were demoing that day had the exact same things to say. They honestly reminded me of a buddy's skied out mid 00's foam core salomon foils.

I skied them in a foot and a half of heavy, cut up snow as well as a few soft groomers and they were jarring and really didn't have a ton of pop. I'm 5,6 120 and was on the 179's fwiw.

thanks re the Gaucho info.....after skiing my Helldos constantly in spring slush at Baker I may not need a Gaucho. Helldorados rip. The Glacier Ski Shop is carrying some 4FRNTs (they just had Hojis at GSS this year) so maybe I can demo Gauchos from them first or wait for more reviews. Still interested in the 4FRNT Devastator too.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    ^^^ you are obviously unfamiliar with KC's economic theory of demo cost vs cost of buying, skiing 4 days, and reselling on GS. The dude has it broken down via spreadsheets and pie charts into cost per run and vertical feet skied.
    Come on man.....cost per run/vertical feet is way too techie, even for me. I prefer cost per ski day. Much simpler to just take the loss on resale divided by # of ski days on that particular ski = A, and then compare that to the daily demo cost = B.

If A < B you are good.

Or if (B - A) x # days is less than 1 binge drinking night, that is OK.

Or compare the loss on resale amounts in total for a year and compare it to the savings due to lack of useless family vacations to boring places. eg. I just ask my two sons "would you rather we fly to X for two weeks for $5,000 or rent a cabin and buy you Hellodrados, Hojis, Pettitors, Barons, etc. and ski 75 days at Baker?

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-20-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I just ask my two sons "would you rather we fly to X for two weeks for $5,000 or rent a cabin and buy you Hellodrados, Hojis, Pettitors, Barons, etc. and ski 75 days at Baker?
    and what do they answer?

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post

Come on man.....cost per run/vertical feet is way too techie, even for me. I prefer cost per ski day. Much simpler to just take the loss on resale divided by # of ski days on that particular ski = A, and then compare that to the daily demo cost = B.

If A < B you are good.

Or if (B - A) x # days is less than 1 binge drinking night, that is OK.

Or compare the loss on resale amounts in total for a year and compare it to the savings due to lack of useless family vacations to boring places. eg. I just ask my two sons "would you rather we fly to X for two weeks for $5,000 or rent a cabin and buy you Hellodrados, Hojis, Pettitors, Barons, etc. and ski 75 days at Baker?

KC
    I know, I know. I was just taking the piss.

Got the scoop from Hende at Dynafit about a new line of in-bounds/one-ski-quiver-attempt skis they're hoping to release next year at OR/SIA. Focused on providing a burly enough ski to match the Vulcan/Beast a la 100% woodcore ski, full sidewall, rockered tips, single radius sidecut, minimal camber, and heavier/burlier than anything Dynafit's offered thus far. They brought Cody Barnhill on board as well, he was the product manager at 4FRNT for a good number of years and did a lot of the design work for the YLE, Renegade, Devastator, and Cody.

Bigger article with more photos can be found here: http://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/Sn...is-6564511.htm
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

^^^ looks like a new line with 2 or 3 different skis, any word on dimensions?

Would the older 186 bodacious make a good daily driver/comp ski for a fat ski fan? Looking for good grip on variable/steep but I wasn't really a fan of the Cochise, the 185 Zeus was sick though

The Bodacious is definitely a lot like the Cochise, though I do like it better in almost any situation. I find the width helps with stability, both straightline and in a turn. They pivot a bit better than a cochise, though they are obviously a bit slower switching edges (on steeps its less of an issue, obviously), and I like how the slightly longer radius drifts. Its a super powerful ski, even in the newer, softer version (which I used for comps this year), all that really did was make it easier to use when you aren't trying to go 100.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    ^^^ looks like a new line with 2 or 3 different skis, any word on dimensions?
    Not sure, they tried a few different ones but I want to say they were close to 100 in the waist?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I must have missed where the beast binding was a great success. They were almost giving them away by the end of the year.

I have a pair of 186 Bodacious, mounted 1x for small Duke's and 295mm. Used for five x 1/2 days. Excellent shape. Make an offer and get um before the stiffies are gone
    He who has the most fun wins!

Not only Salomon but also Marker is working on a tech style binding.
    Interested in what kind of system they come up with.. Not shure if we will see anything in 14/15 though..

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
    Not only Salomon but also Marker is working on a tech style binding.
    Interested in what kind of system they come up with.. Not shure if we will see anything in 14/15 though..
    You sure about that? Lots of rumors. Whether or not anything is in the works, I can assure you there will be no Marker or Salomon tech bindings for 14/15 or anytime soon after that.
    Last edited by Brianskis; 06-15-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Can we Start some 2014-15 gear rumors yet

ATK has a 14 RV binding that reaches Speed Radical weights:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...an-part-3.html

Also has info on Movement and BD skis, as well as BD's airbag pack.

That ATK binding model came out in 2013.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using TGR Forums
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Really? Surprised I haven't heard more about it then. Wierd. No US distribution I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    That ATK binding model came out in 2013.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using TGR Forums

Whoops, sorry -- I meant that the 12 release value version of the ATK Raider debuted this past fall for the current season, and that only the 14 RV version is new for next season.
    (That's what happens when I try to type on my phone...)
    Either way, the Raider (with whatever maximum release value) has been exceedingly obscure in North America.
    By contrast, the RT received lots of attention because La Sportiva distributed a rebranded version here.
    However, lots of those had problems with the RT toe pincers loosening up (fortunately somewhat gradually, and not catastrophically, unlike the Plum Guide toe wings).
    I suspect that was just a bad batch, because that problem doesn't seem to have occurred with the modified RT toe that was combined with a race heel for the second-generation La Sportiva RSR race binding (the first generation was made by Merelli, with a three-hold heel). Plus I've never heard of that problem with an ATK race toe, either in Europe or on the rebranded Hagan ZR bindings (which will also be rebranded by Fischer and possibly also Movement next year).
    My RT toes are fine, but their skis got of get set aside relatively early, so only ~195,000 vertical. (And since my ZR bindings were new for this season, neither pair has enough vertical yet to reach any conclusions.)

Anyway, the Raider an RT modified with a bigger heel unit housing for a heavier spring, along with an integrated brake and two-part plate mounting system.
    A couple TGR posters seem to have some experience:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...2-tech-binding
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...14-DIN-binding
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...81#post4254281
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...62#post4103362

I searched again now and found some European feedback:
    http://www.bergsteigen.com/news/test-atk-raider-12 (seems a bit fluffy of a review?)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-KKInwXDFk (what exactly is the problem asserted in the video?)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Any ideas on how to get one in the US? I could probably get away with a 14 full time (need 12 on Alpine).

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    You sure about that? Lots of rumors. Whether or not anything is in the works, I can assure you there will be no Marker or Salomon tech bindings for 14/15 or anytime soon after that.
    Quoting "tomPietrowski" on Newschoolers: 'You won't have to wait too long for info but just wanted to say it's a joint venture between salomon and atomic. There are boots to go along with them from both brands too but the boots are following slightly different paths.

And yes marker have something in the works too. Don't expect beast completion just yet. That binding did not really sell too well so expect more radical style bindings until the market develops a little further. '
    +
    'One brand is taking on the freeride boot with the other taking on the touring. That is all I can really say for now but the touring boot is going to be really nice. '