Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    In Anchortown looking to get my career on track

Ski AK: The Official 2013/20014 Thread

I have been searching the Forums for the local 411 on conditions and where to go for the goods, but alas, there is no official thread as of yet. So, collective, post up the conditions, where to go, etc. in the thread. BTW, i have nothing to add at this point, still recovering from surgery....
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

I hear the snowbird is happening. I might try to get out to the lane this weekend if archangel road is open.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Archangels closed. Snowline made it over 5k ft his last round in the talkeetnas. Snowbird has lots of snow but it'll be crunchy. Hatch peak/April bowl and surrounding areas will be rideable once we get a new coat of paint, there's an ok base for this early up here. Skate ski trail at the mine is groomed and fast right now.

How is jewel glacier looking? That's in your hood isn't it?

I've spammed a few of the other threads so here's the AK version.
    Snow monitoring in AK not as intense as other states, but it may still be of use to some of you as a quick look type of thing - updated hourly!
    If you go to the page, you get the actual numbers by rolling the mouse over the dots, and you get this year relative to all past years in a nice graph if you click on the dots.
    Alaska SNOTEL 24hr Change

that map is missing a good chunk of the state, just sayin'

I want snow... Lots of snow...
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

^^^^^
    Normally, I wouldn't say this but he's right. Leaving out South East Alaska, is like not adding Washington, Oregon and California to a ski map of America.

^^^

Yeah, I agree, but there's just not that much data for AK...
    There is an additional pillow station in SE Alaska at Long Lake, Sth East of Juneau, but that's it. It's not shown due to map size. Data shown below.
    There are a few other stations that give depth .. which I may get around to adding at some stage but depth is different from SWE.
    Colleagues at UAF run some research sites, but these aren't in particularly skier oriented regions (e.g. Nth Slope).

What real-time info do you use?

Been pulling 70 hour work weeks with Dopplemayrusa building new chair 6. Got the chairs on line yesterday. Thank god old man winter has been holding off. I'll take 45 deg for another ten days please.

Yo Carp! Have you heard how the Jewel has been skiing??

Thumbs up

Good to see an Alaska thread up and running and also good to see that it's got us covered for the next 18,001 years!

The gf and I drove up to Eagle Summit today (from fbx) to see what the snow looked like up there. Well we found a nice windloaded slope to get some soft although short runs in and had a nice afternoon messing around.

*she's stoked*

I climbed up and looked at one of my favorite front range shots. It isn't in yet. Although it was blowing about 70 mph. Fucking cold and hard to stand.
    The top
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1383548258.492137.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	143900
    Looking down
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1383548291.794217.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	143901

Looks pretty bony still.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard_of_Oz View Post
    I've spammed a few of the other threads so here's the AK version.
    Snow monitoring in AK not as intense as other states, but it may still be of use to some of you as a quick look type of thing - updated hourly!
    If you go to the page, you get the actual numbers by rolling the mouse over the dots, and you get this year relative to all past years in a nice graph if you click on the dots.
    Alaska SNOTEL 24hr Change

Thanks for the link, Blizzard of Oz!! Ambler!!! I spent a few extra nights outside of Ambler one week, while waiting for a weather window for a fly-out. ADFG work. Colder than fuck until that front came in and ruined our pick-up chances....but my god, what a fantastic place!!! I enjoyed every extra minute there. While my colleagues were bitching and moaning and playing cribbage in the atco trailer, I was out on my shoes.

By "colleagues at UAF", I presume you mean at the Geophysical Institute? That's my alma mater....lotsa good folk there for sure!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

This is a nice link for Eaglecrest and the Juneau area at ~2000'; http://nsrl1.jun.alaska.edu/smvaio/e...&units=english

It is down at the moment but the UAS crew is working on getting it back up and running soon.

Just checking in. Can't wait to ski.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Termination dust is it down here.

C'mon cold air!

repost but...

but this should be frozen by now...

not complaining too much cause I can still catch fish like this after work

Look at the wittle baby fishie!

J/K the ocean spoils a guy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...69580213240277

I don't have anything to do with creating this page but it would be nice to build it up a bit as there is really no forecasting out there for the A-Range as far as I know
    Last edited by the_big_lepowski; 11-06-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Look at the wittle baby fishie!
    I'd rather catch a rainbow of that size in November than a salmon on trolling gear any day...

Now find me a big old ling or halibut that eats a fly...

(seriously, I need revenge on the one I lost off Afognak)

I could catch you a ling on a fly.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    i want to see this!!! I really want to catch a but on a fly rod. A Ling could be fun, but I have never caught one so I will have to live vicariously through others on this fish.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

I've had guys on the boat catch halibut on a fly rod. I make them bring their own sinkers though, they use breakaways and lead is expensive.

Hoping this sleet/ freezing rain turns to snow here soon. My skating pond is doing well, but I wouldn't complain about having to shovel. Any reports from the higher elevations?

Quote Originally Posted by TundraGopher View Post
    Hoping this sleet/ freezing rain turns to snow here soon. My skating pond is doing well, but I wouldn't complain about having to shovel. Any reports from the higher elevations?

Snowing pretty hard at Hatcher.