Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    Stupid weather stations haven't updated since 2pm. Trying to decide if skipping work is worth it - will probably bring gear in and decide at work.

Carp, if you figure out where rain levels stopped and want to pm/post in the morning that'd be rad.
    Avy bombs just woke me up. 1" of new snow in old girdwood and 12" up top. Are you here yet?!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Avy bombs just woke me up. 1" of new snow in old girdwood and 12" up top. Are you here yet?!
    Just cleared off and dropped a few degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Should have bounced out of work earlier. But just cleared bird. Wish I would've swapped the binders last night.

Red flylow shell, blue pants, black topsheet protests if you want to introduce your legendary self in person.

Anybody gonna be at Aly today? Headed down in a bit, orange jacket-green pants. Say hi!

Looks like this thread has been relatively quiet lately. Are conditions still heinous at low elevation? Was planning on hitting up the Revelations this spring, but looking at the beta photos of the Main Revelation Glacier from our pilot from this past weekend I think I might pass. Looks like Haines is crushing it, anyone have beta on the higher alpine areas outside of Anchorage? Tordrillos, Chugach, Talkeetnas, etc?

EDIT:
    More specifically, any zones that have more couloir skiing?

Revs Photos

Last edited by JTrue; 02-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Things are apparently good >5000'
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Things are apparently good >5000'
    Minus the persistent deep slab problem above 3500' the forecasters talk about every day.

Finally flurries in ER, maybe more up high although winds will rip and it'll be going on top of boilerplate anyway...

Obviously different elevation, but impressive hoar frost at home. Hope wind knocks it down up high. This, on top of boilerplate isn't so great if it ever does snow again.

Hard to tell scale but almost 1" tall

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shred View Post
    Minus the persistent deep slab problem above 3500' the forecasters talk about every day.
    Are you just talking about the AAC report? Or is there a better resource to track conditions in the alpine?

Snowing and blowing for real down here.

Lets fucking kick it into gear February!

It snowed! almost an inch...
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shred View Post
    I stand corrected, apparently its good >3500'

However the snowpack is more continental than usual. Hard to trigger, but if you do, you are probably dead.

[QUOTE]
    Looks like Haines is crushing it, anyone have beta on the higher alpine areas outside of Anchorage? Tordrillos, Chugach, Talkeetnas, etc?
    [/QUOTE
    I spent almost all of January in Haines. Haines is crushed. It started good than the melt and so far nothing. Alders sticking up anywhere there are alders. There were climax avalanches to 5000'. Stuff on Porcupine and Flower mountain I hoped to ski were not in. I have flown from Juneau to Anchorage lately on some beautiful days. i have a camera full of depressing photos. I went into BC and skied Nahahini, 18" snowpack. Didn't even consider 3 Guardsman. Tsirku River was open as were all the coastal rivers and some interior ones I think. the Revelations are not known for lots of snow. I would think the couloirs would still be in. . Higher elevations in the Chugach and Saint Elias range but I would go above 7000'. lots of bear ice and crevasses on the lower elevation glaciers.
    thankfull it is snowing here in Tokyo today.
    Last edited by BFD; 02-08-2014 at 02:03 AM.
    off your knees Louie

[QUOTE=BFD;4179806]
    [/QUOTE
    I spent almost all of January in Haines. Haines is crushed. It started good than the melt and so far nothing. Alders sticking up anywhere there are alders. There were climax avalanches to 5000'. Stuff on Porcupine and Flower mountain I hoped to ski were not in. I have flown from Juneau to Anchorage lately on some beautiful days. i have a camera full of depressing photos. I went into BC and skied Nahahini, 18" snowpack. Didn't even consider 3 Guardsman. Tsirku River was open as were all the coastal rivers and some interior ones I think. the Revelations are not known for lots of snow. I would think the couloirs would still be in. Another option for couloirs is the Eldridge glacier. Cheaper easier flight, option to ski out to road. Higher elevations in the Chugach and Saint Elias range but I would go above 7000'. lots of bear ice and crevasses on the lower elevation glaciers.
    thankfull it is snowing here in Tokyo today.
    Thanks, guess I spoke too soon about Haines. Had only heard the reports of big early season snow, didn't know the melt and rain had affected Haines as well. Got a response from Drake today about conditions in Haines and he told the same sad story. We are flying into Anchorage, will just play it by ear and go where the snow is.

[QUOTE=JTrue;4179828]
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post

Thanks, guess I spoke too soon about Haines. Had only heard the reports of big early season snow, didn't know the melt and rain had affected Haines as well. Got a response from Drake today about conditions in Haines and he told the same sad story. We are flying into Anchorage, will just play it by ear and go where the snow is.
    Glad Drake was honest.
    Last edited by BFD; 02-08-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    off your knees Louie

16" of sensitive new slabby goodness at turny, or chalky wind buffed with good coverage at hatcher. Good luck J, shoot me a pm if you come up to hatcher.

Get STOKED everybody...

Tincan was good yesterday, apparently most of Anchorage missed the memo that it snowed on the Kenai. They figured it out by today though.

The snotel was dead friday night....

FYI $875 locals deal at CPG on Monday (2/17), only 8 total seats ...

Estimated snowpack as of Feb 1 - someone (AKPM?) asked in the Revelation Mts TR so figured I'd throw it here too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowpack.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	150577

From NRCS/USDA via NWS Alaska.

Well since there isn't a single snotel site in the entire SW Alaska range that map isn't very useful...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Well since there isn't a single snotel site in the entire SW Alaska range that map isn't very useful...
    So they probably just totally make it up with no thought whatsoever? Really?

It's a tool for a rough estimating. Use it or not.

For example, if I was thinking hrm I bet SW Alaska has been hammered by snow, let me buy a plane ride out there, perhaps this might be a data point that points the other way. But, since there is no SnoTel I guess it's pointless to use this information.

It was a family day so didn't get above bunny slope but some of the lightest snow in a long time fell all day, even at alyeska base.

Hoping turnagain is more of the light stuff this weekend. Winds seem to be ripping pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    Estimated snowpack as of Feb 1 - someone (AKPM?) asked in the Revelation Mts TR so figured I'd throw it here too:

From NRCS/USDA via NWS Alaska.
    As an FYI, you can click on the station dots on this page and you can see the current state of the snowpack (updated daily) relative to prior years - that is for stations with snow water equivalent measurement (there are additional SNOTEL's without SWE). Some of the AK stations are a bit on the blink this year ...

http://cires.colorado.edu/~aslater/SNOW/alaska.html