Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    yup what a good season to be injured... Of course its gonna snow a shitload in may

those bore tide shots are awesome BTW!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Enough of you frozen horrible mountains.

How about frozen horrible water?

Shack attack!

"This is MY wave Bro!"

Getting barrelled, almost

Wednesday evening on Harp before breakup number 2 or is it number 4 now?

Girdwood folks... I am flying with CPG later this month, looking forward! I just inquired about filling my Mystery Ranch airbag pack and they said they have no way of doing it.
    Anyone know where I can get this thing refilled in/around Girdwood? It uses the WARY system.
    Thanks
    Naton

Quote Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
    Girdwood folks... I am flying with CPG later this month, looking forward! I just inquired about filling my Mystery Ranch airbag pack and they said they have no way of doing it.
    Anyone know where I can get this thing refilled in/around Girdwood? It uses the WARY system.
    Thanks
    Naton
    You're flying into Anchorage first, right? There are a bunch of dive shops, is the WARY system different than Mammut or BCA.

EDIT: From http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...irbag-backpack

"When it comes to refills, I’ve had good luck at any location that refills BCA or Snowpulse packs, including while skiing in Chile and Argentina. It is also easy to remove the regulator portion of the bottle so that you can travel with an empty tank. In the TSA monitors, it then looks like a water bottle, and agents seem reassured when they can look into the empty bottle."

Also listed as Authorized BCA Refill Station
    Girdwood Fire Department
    PO Box 915,
    Girdwood, AK
    99587 USA

Thanks J. I do fly in to anchorage but super late at night and heading to girdwood right away. They rent Mammut packs at CPG that use the SnowPulse system...not sure how different they are. I shot a note to the author of the blister review, looks like he's based out of anchorage

Thanks J. I do fly in to anchorage but super late at night and heading to girdwood right away. They rent Mammut packs at CPG that use the SnowPulse system...not sure how different they are. I shot a note to the author of the blister review, looks like he's based out of anchorage

If it's compressed air, they should be able to fill it. Otherwise just ship your filled canister to where you'll be staying, easy.

Yep, all set. Let it snow!

Snow in the forecast for Southcentral all week (with a few sprinkles mixed in). Dumping and windy in Girdwood this am. The "little winter that couldn't" might hold some surprises after all.

Hatcher is skiing ok if you're not a fatso and can stay on top of the crust...

Quote Originally Posted by bigAK View Post
    So I shouldn't go ski hatcher I guess... Since I've been out of town how bad had lower elevation turnagain gotten in the last week or two? Wondering if storm riding down low would still be rough even with a new coat or two.

Hey, it's been a tough winter with a lot of couch time for all of us. Don't have much idea of what's what in turnagain, though I suspect it's pretty set up. Skied alyeska one day last week and had a good time, but the amount of blue ice will make you wonder just where in the world you are.

X-post from the X-C conditions site this weekend (not my words):
    Skied out from the Tincan trailhead lot to Iditarod Trail then up Ingram Creek. Crust. Sunk in about two inches on the crust up into Ingram Creek. then 2 inches of snow on crust hard enough to support us. The south crossing of Ingram Creek has enough ice to allow a ski from the bathrooms to the mile 72 1/2 trailhead. Upstream crossings need to be found, and with the little snow we've had, skiers need to find their way through the willow.
    Last edited by bigAK; 03-10-2014 at 07:33 PM.

I flew with CPG last year and they provided us with a Mammut ABS no extra charge.

Thanks
    Naton

Skiing OK? Its been great. And how fat do you have to be to break through the crust? If you are that big, you have other problems to worry about first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    Skiing OK? Its been great. And how fat do you have to be to break through the crust? If you are that big, you have other problems to worry about first.
    Agreed. You would have to be an elephant carrying another elephant holding a grand piano to break that crust.
    Last edited by cgski; 03-11-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Meh, I found breakable crust in both october bowl and off 4068 last week. Then again, I'm an elephant at 175lbs...

Meh, I found breakable crust in both october bowl and off 4068 last week. Then again, I'm an elephant at 175lbs...
    you should check your binding mount.

Ha! All good dood

If anyone made/makes it out to the resort today, curious how bad the wind/rain are hurting today...

Mid-mtn station is reporting lots 'o water, and little snow, so thinking rain line is pretty high. Up top temps still below freezing...

Alyeska mid-station

Need to determine if tomorrow is one of those days to use up last few Alyeska vouchers...

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    If anyone made/makes it out to the resort today, curious how bad the wind/rain are hurting today...

Mid-mtn station is reporting lots 'o water, and little snow, so thinking rain line is pretty high. Up top temps still below freezing...

Alyeska mid-station

Need to determine if tomorrow is one of those days to use up last few Alyeska vouchers...
    Got back from night skiing a bit ago. Rain line was right at the bottom Chair 6. POURING rain below that. Windy, but the snow was so heavy it wasn't blowing around much. I bet tomorrow will be fun ~ especially since its supposed to get colder.

Alyeska was deep mashed potatoes on monday and tuesday. Wednesday was sunny with fresh windblown on soft tracked. Real surprised by that, figured it would have refroze up to top of tram. Yesterday darn good. Two top to bottom tram runs while everyone waited for six to open. Then two fresh runs on six with a couple of CPG guides and I felt like a CPG guide... milking it, milking it... 6 closed again then reopened with more freshies.

Right now, pouring rain, wind holds. Will be fun up high. Rumors on NF opening soon... I could take 6 weeks with another 400 inches.

Here are some pics from last sunday, day before this weather moved in.

Blake hiking

I do love living in Girdwood, there is my little red roofed house down there in that square next to the ocean and the river.

Looking north to Max's. Can see little cut trail in alders down low.

Looking to Big League again. Thin and bullet proof with 6 inch of dust on top.

Shoulder of Death, oh the memories

Shredding in the sun hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Right now, pouring rain, wind holds. Will be fun up high. Rumors on NF opening soon... I could take 6 weeks with another 400 inches.
    Thanks - way to get after the local goods as well. Sitting in my cubicle farm, waffling on burning vacation time to head down... Wind holds got me worried about getting stuck below 6 & doing the old ski-in-a-garbage-bag rainsuit trick.

today was good

(with enough goretex)

Girdwood rocks!

NF been closed a while or all season?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    today was good
    Back in action?

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    Back in action?

ish

can't use poles or jump off stuff and go as fast as I'd like, but I can ski pow and teach lessons!

NF has been closed all season... Lots of work to be done (snow safety, rope lines etc.), and with the storm no time to do it keeping the rest of the resort open not to mention the influx of groms on spring break, i imagine the patrol has their hands full right now. Rolling over it on the tram I'd guess an old school opener, without the new(ish) gladed terrain pushing people into far side and autobahn (I feel like they made some snow on those groomers early in the season), still pretty dang thin below midway, spoonline likely has enough coverage, word on the hill though (being out for a while this is second hand) is that tram pocket has slid to the ground several times this seaon so it still might be thin even with the new snow. It does finally look like winter at the resort though! Obviously this is all speculation and I have no official or actual clue of any plans.

One thing that I know is that the next time HT opens its going to be pretty awesome! And then there's the rain corn..! Also the nest has a couple tiers dug out, could probably use a bit more work if anyone is bored. If only rain line would drop 500 feet and add 40 more inches down low...

Carp, where are you accessing Orca from? Maybe skiing the orca chutes won't be out of the question this season after all!

Anyone got any word of CPG cat ops? Their terrain might be too low still..?