Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Last Sunday on Seattle Ridge:

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard_of_Oz View Post
    As an FYI, you can click on the station dots on this page and you can see the current state of the snowpack (updated daily) relative to prior years - that is for stations with snow water equivalent measurement (there are additional SNOTEL's without SWE). Some of the AK stations are a bit on the blink this year ...

http://cires.colorado.edu/~aslater/SNOW/alaska.html
    The fuck is your point? Still no snotel in southwestern Alaska. I realize you're not local but almost all those SNOTEL sites are in Southcentral AK.

And Tincan was good today, Kusalas slayed and only 2 big whoomphs.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    So they probably just totally make it up with no thought whatsoever? Really?

It's a tool for a rough estimating. Use it or not.

For example, if I was thinking hrm I bet SW Alaska has been hammered by snow, let me buy a plane ride out there, perhaps this might be a data point that points the other way. But, since there is no SnoTel I guess it's pointless to use this information.
    Considering the difference in snowfall between girdwood and turnagain pass is generally what 50%? and the difference between the yellow gas station and hatcher pass is like 200% I'd suspect that the snowpack on the AK penn/alaska range is super different than say.. king salmon
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    Last Sunday on Seattle Ridge:
    Nice TR dude!

Everybody get some for me, I'm laid up for at least a couple weeks...

Manitoba skied great as well Saturday. And the sunshine was glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Nice TR dude!

Everybody get some for me, I'm laid up for at least a couple weeks...
    Thanks dude, how'd you pop your shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    Thanks dude, how'd you pop your shoulder?
    Town league... Crashed (into the other racer) after the line scrubbing speed...

Good luck with healing, sorry it happened just as Winter might be coming back... Even though I still think snowpack estimates have some marginal value despite spatial variability (plus there are also snow courses, gauges, etc used for sporadic measurement ; not just snotel sites.)!

Good luck with healing, sorry it happened just as Winter might be coming back... Even though I still think snowpack estimates have some marginal value despite spatial variability (plus there are also snow courses, gauges, etc used for sporadic measurement ; not just snotel sites.)!
    I'll take 100% credit for winters return

OT, but anyone local have some BF (or even quiver killer) inserts they are willing to part with? Please drop me a PM if so - jondrums is on vacation and won't be shipping quick enough for my purposes.

OT, but anyone local have some BF (or even quiver killer) inserts they are willing to part with? Please drop me a PM if so - jondrums is on vacation and won't be shipping quick enough for my purposes.
    check your pms. . .

Wedding bowl (JNU) was nice this morning.

Couple of pics from the uptrack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00032.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	150959

Name:	DSC00037.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	150960

Name:	DSC00033.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	919.8 KB 
ID:	150961
    Last edited by Joebornstein; 02-19-2014 at 01:16 PM.

aaaand its suppose to rain again next week

You comp skiers are always getting hurt

A couple great couloirs in Falls Creek today. Very thin approach, good snow in protected areas. Good stability in protected areas below 1,200 meters, rapidly deteriorating stability above that point. Rather skied out now though...

I hate all of you this week

Newbie in Gwood... Looking for some BC friends. If ya'll are looking for somebody to tour with anytime this week hit me up! Im off work for another 10 days and NEED to get out, but have no capable ski buds in town.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYINN View Post
    Newbie in Gwood... Looking for some BC friends. If ya'll are looking for somebody to tour with anytime this week hit me up! Im off work for another 10 days and NEED to get out, but have no capable ski buds in town.
    We'll be headed out somewhere this weekend, maybe Friday. You're welcome to join. Not sure where, depends on how the weather comes through here. Doesn't sound like anywhere south of Anchorage is going to escape the rain.

Committed to Haines based heli week starting Sunday. Can any of you AK folks give me the skinny? Any hope of decent conditions?

I'm in Juneau and we haven't had much snow for a couple weeks, it's looking clear and warm for another week. Maybe some precip late next week....probably not what you were wanting to hear.

High north facing one hopes still retain soft snow....

Well the weather should be nice but you never know it's AK...sounds like fun trip!

Went for a nice ski from the house this afternoon. My first backcountry day in two years, for what it is worth.

Left at 2:30pm with ambitious hopes of bagging Big League and skiing the long mellow south ridge.

I booted straight up through dry forest to top of Orca just in time to see bore tide rolling up the Arm.

Nice view up here. That is corn snow you see there in the foreground. Like late April corn but the snow pack is only 2 feet deep instead of 20

Got to this high point at 5pm and figured I'd better be prudent and bail on main objective because dark was approaching and I was not sure of clean line to bottom. Looking east, ptarmigan

Fly little buddy!

When I peeked over the edge I could see the bore tide and made some headway. Can't see any surfer today.

Petersen headwall looking thin. There should not be any dirt on that alpine bench or most anywhere at this point of the season.

I skied some horrible crust and some alright corn and made my back to home with nice three hour roundtrip.

Nice to see you're back in Alaska.

I can't have imagined a better season to be so busy with homework and school that I don't have time to ski.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer