Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hassles with Backcountry.com's new return policy

Just thought I'd share my experience with Backcountry.com's new return policy. I ordered some stuff recently, some of it I didn't like when trying it on in the house, so it went back. Most of the stuff was refunded appropriately, however, their new return policy is STORE CREDIT ONLY when an item is used, unless deemed defective. This is an understandable policy, until you have to deal with the reality of bullshit. I recieved store credit for 3 of the items returned.

1) I ordered a pair of shorts, tried them on, they didn't fit and went straight into the returns box.

2) I ordered a pair of elbow pads, tried them on in the house, the straps sucked (like most do) and went straight into the returns box.

3) I ordered a pair of G-Form kneepads, wore them probably about 10 times, before having the stitching rip out as I pulled them on. I figured, well, damn, that's pretty obviously defective, so they went back.

I did a Live Chat to talk to someone about it, who brought in a superviser who could overrule.

1) After about 10 minutes, they gave me a full refund for the shorts - happy me. I noticed that they popped up in 'GearTrade.com' as excellent condition, but with some pet hair inside. That is a pretty damn pendantic understanding of the word 'used', but at least they eventually agreed with me that they were unused.

2) They said they had a couple scratches on the elbow pads. I don't have any idea how that happened considering I wore them for less than 20 seconds in my house. They certainly were in perfect condition when I put them in the returns box. Maybe some dumbass dropped them on the floor when unpacking the box, I don't know. Not so happy me.

3) They didn't agree with me that the G-Form kneepads were defective. Not so happy me.

Now granted, store credit isn't the end of the world, and I'll probably end up using it at some point, but it's a pain in the ass that in order to get a proper refund, I now have to argue with someone about 'used' and 'defective' for products that I haven't used or seemed pretty 'defective' to me. I'll likely take my business to companies with a no-hassle return guarantee when it makes sense. It's a shame the low moral creatures have destroyed a great return policy and turned their new policy into a pain in the ass. It'd be nice to have at least a 30-day no hassle return policy.

I think a lot of people take advantage of the policy. I still can't believe they take used returns in the first place. Still a good return policy....

Interesting. I regularly choose backcountry over moosejaw, or any number of other sites where pricing is similar, or even may be a little less because of their no hassle return policy. I agree that store credit is not nearly the same as a true refund and am quite disappointed that they have chosen to change their policy.

This will definitely change my buying habits in the future. Not that I have used their return policy much, but that I no longer see much advantage to backcountry over the local retailer or other online retailers.

Why are you buying shorts for your pet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

It wasn't pet hair.

Move upside and let the man go through...

You're buying a lot of body amor.....are you a Gladiator? or just cushioning that gear blogging requires when you are over-analyzing skis and sucking gear nerd cock?
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    I think a lot of people take advantage of the policy. I still can't believe they take used returns in the first place. Still a good return policy....
    Seriously? I notice Lindahl didn't say if he removed the tags or not. Either way, that's stupid for a mail order house.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    ....are you a Gladiator?
    It's kinda gay.

Even for Halloween.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

come to think of it, I've purchased nothing from BC.com in a long while.

While a rarely returned stuff, it was nice to have that piece of mind that came with that lifetime guarantee.

So why buy from an online retailer again? The price would have to be ridiculously better than a brick and mortar shop in town and that's the only reason (now).

Man, good to know this. I have also chosen Backcountry because of the peace of mind the return policy provides. I personally have not EVER returned a used item despite the liberal policy. I guess for me it was more about guilt than anything and I couldn't bring myself to send something back for a refund that I just didn't like anymore. All you need to do is review Gear Trade to know that they obviously made out well enough on the policy and that they still managed to move the returned items. Frankly, I'd love to know what the delta was for them as far as an internal company estimate of what the policy "cost" them. I would then love to see the figures on how their volume of sales decreases once this policy change is widely known. I'd have to imagine the policy itself was huge for getting people in the door and that abusers existed, but were the exception not the rule.

With that said, too bad they have apparently gone from the best return policy ever to a horrible return policy. No bueno.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Body armor is for DH mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Seriously? I notice Lindahl didn't say if he removed the tags or not. Either way, that's stupid for a mail order house.
    Tags were still on the unused items.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Now BC.COM is changing their return policy??? Recently after learning about REI changing their return policy, i made a decision to move my buying power to other business, especially bc.com because of their no hassle lifetime guarantee policy with full cash refund should a product not meet your needs, be it failure, not performing as expected, etc. Hearing they no longer are going to give full refunds and instead only offer store credit will move me to once again reassess where i am buying from. I will most likely purchase much closer to home knowing that if something goes wrong with what i have bought, there is a high likelihood the local retailer will take care of me.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

I bought a pair of Garmont Endorphin AT boots from them a few years ago, wrong size, my bad. I mailed the boots back to them but realized I had left the accessory bag with the DIN soles and screws in them out of the returns box. Their response was 'no problem', and they sent me new boots no charge the very next day. I did eventually send the DIN soles back though.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Ouch. Sucks you had to contact them to get credit. Guess BC is just as corporate as all of the other shitty stores now.

I don't know of any brick and mortar shop that will take back used gear just because you don't like it any more. No point in getting mad at REI and BC.com--get mad at the people who abused the policy and made it a losing proposition. I agree that the OP should have gotten a full refund on the items in question. The person who checked the first two items probably used to work for a rental car company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Oder View Post
    I bought a pair of Garmont Endorphin AT boots from them a few years ago, wrong size, my bad. I mailed the boots back to them but realized I had left the accessory bag with the DIN soles and screws in them out of the returns box. Their response was 'no problem', and they sent me new boots no charge the very next day. I did eventually send the DIN soles back though.
    Items bought before the policy change are grandfathered into the old lifetime policy.

BC's policy changed within a few weeks of REI's change. They did it silently though, and its only 90 days, and, as mentioned, functioning used items get store credit only.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    what other companies that have similar stock to REI and BC.COM are still offering the lifetime guarantee for their products?
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    You're buying a lot of body amor.....are you a Gladiator? or just cushioning that gear blogging requires when you are over-analyzing skis and sucking gear nerd cock?
    He's got a higher risk tolerance than you and likes to go fast and occasionally set off avalanches on purpose. Hasn't he told you?

If by "did it silently" you mean this place was all over it then yes. If the search function didn't suck so much I'd find the thread. It sucks that you weren't the one abusing the return policy but I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did. Time to support the local shops that internet customers have neglected for cheap deals for years and yes I'm aware they neglected the consumer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    That's ridiculous. I'm kind of blown away at this, as it seems outside of even their more restrictive policy. I mean, just about every retail store out there has at least a 30-day return policy on unused items with the tags still on them.

BC.com rep entry into this thread to "clear things up," let us know they "re-educated the employees in question on the new policy," and "the employees are still 'adapting'" to the new policy in 3... 2...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by dk_alaskan View Post
    what other companies that have similar stock to REI and BC.COM are still offering the lifetime guarantee for their products?

L.L.Bean:

Hugh Conway Guest
    Meh, BC doesn't even give a shit about responding anymore, they just monitor and occasionally spam for jobs.

Uh, Patafuckyoutgrandyouravantlinksgonia is still lifetime, which is also a "brick and mortar store"

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    L.L.Bean:

I like those humming birds ! very fancy, the one on right looks like he's taking a heater mid flight. PSA link to item for sale?
    I would not return this item
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Brick and morter is the way to go these days.

You can try it on, many stand behind their staff's knowledge/advice, and will work to help you out with defective product.

Pretty sweet sweater. Altrec and Eddie Bauer also.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    If by "did it silently" you mean this place was all over it then yes. If the search function didn't suck so much I'd find the thread. It sucks that you weren't the one abusing the return policy but I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did. Time to support the local shops that internet customers have neglected for cheap deals for years and yes I'm aware they neglected the consumer as well.
    How many customers read that thread? By silently, I mean no announcement to their customers ala REI (pretty sure I remember seeing it announced it via emails).

See OP you're the problem though. So many fucking people just have them send one of everything and send back whatever they don't feel like keeping and it's fucked the system to the point it's gone now. Go prance around in an REI and have a fashion show and try it all on if you want, that's what B&M stores are there for. What you describe is pretty much a waste of everyone's time and an abuse of an otherwise awesome benefit if a great return policy. I cant imagine what your BCscore is, it must be atrocious.

There's a reason so few places do it. Idiots like you fuck it up! Sorry dude but that's the truth. Thanks for being part of ruining a good thing.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community