Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Maggot Company Goes Wordwide with ABC News...Need mag help with screenshots - Contest

Warning lengthy blog... (followed by contest)

So, I started Freeride Systems in 2010 by accident with some webbing carry systems for skis and snowboards for "hike to" country because I got tired of lugging skis over my shoulders and falling down in deep snow drifts. At the time I was coasting as a ski bum living off meager savings,ebay, and consignment store sales. I planned to never work again and just ski the Mosquito range behind my rebuilt (by my own hand) mining shack in Leadville, CO and some pinpoint resort days. I sewed with a plastic machine bought from Target in Silverthorne, CO. The business was unplanned, unthought out, totally reactionary off the cuff endeavor. People asked me for other representations of my efforts. I thought t-shirts, hoodies and caps were played out and I wanted to do something with a little more substance, something needed. I listened and followed the will of the people and rolled out an affordable niche jacket by the first December I was in business because people wanted more than just Bootpack 1 carry systems that were limited in demand geographically. I made a jacket for three reasons: 1) people asked for something they could use outside of the limited use BP1, 2) I had one lady sewing that could make garments, 3) my favorite jacket (Patagon ia Guide at the time) had serious issues that I suffered from in the backcountry. (e.g. small fouling coil zippers, no pit zips, a collar and hood I could not get over my face, head, helmet) Other jackets such as hardshells made me sweat, were uncomfortable and loud to wear. My hearing is shot and I didn't need fabric noises preventing me from hearing woomfing and other sounds you need in to hear in the wilderness.

I decided to combine all the features that were missing from the guide jacket and a few others and incorporate them into a simple Made in Colorado well rounded affordable jacket. (i.e the Leadvegas Acensoft Jacket) You guys supported me. The jackets were janky but made with caring hands in Colorado. The offering gained traction, I sold off my beloved guitar collection (some of them on here), my car, a sled, etc to improve the offering. I hired professional garment engineers and invested all sales proceeds back into the company to produce better quality offerings. I thought out loud on this forum. I brought some of your ideas into the garments I make today. I have not followed the "industry" norms, I don't do SIA. I recently decided not to add anymore retailers and scale the retail doors effort back. I have created an orthodox methodology for making and selling apparel in a world of slick websites, mass produced garments, cheap overseas labor, paid bloggers, edits, and reviews; and a highly wasteful cyclical distribution method that is dictated by silly things like 28 cents per share earning gains as opposed to asking people what they need and trying to deliver that product. (more than colorway and fabric breaks i.e. function) I have tried to be innovative and give people the ability to affordably obtain Freeride Systems jackets with unique programs like the "Threads for Shreds" jacket trade in program. This program will run again this year on TGR only, here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...eeride-Systems

Fast forward I land a SAR team, then a public works, an airport authority, some mountain public transit, the US Olympic Committee/Kellogs with some test garments, start doing sewing for others with a private label program, all the while selling one jacket at a time by my own hand, when out of no where, the biggest catch to date; I become the official wearables producer for ABC News Worldwide for 5 years. (I had no connection to ABC)

I am not one who follows often. Has it cost me? Yes. Has this been easy? No. Have reps and industry folks shunned me and made fun of my efforts and decisions? everyday. Have I been able to communicate affordably with the general public to let them know there is alternative to all the aforementioned? No. Have I been able to afford to make employee hires I have needed to help me in this endeavor? No. But, that is about to change for the better. Do I still ski most days? Yes !

I had to create a new brand to ride side by side on the chest of ABC News Correspondents worldwide. Hey, no problem, I was already doing private label jobs where my name was no where in sight. Freeride Systems is only known in tiny micro communities, and some limited mountain towns. Hence Fulsus USA. I had to get ABC approval, be able to trademark, and get the web domains. Fulsus = Full Suspension of the elements. Simple enough.

CONTEST DETAILS

My dad called me last night with the first ABC national news story jacket sighting. He said the lady correspondent had the jacket unzipped and my logo was covered. I need screenshots. I need them with both ABC and Fulsus logos. I am asking the maggot community to try to capture the ABC jackets appearing on tv on ABC with screenshots. I want to use the picture as the front page of the Fulsus USA website. The picture I use will gain the winning submitter a free newly designed Freeride Systems Antero II jacket. The jackets can appear throughout the day and night and even online. Anytime there is a big outside news story, the jacket will be worn.

http://www.freeridesystems.com/produ...de-in-coloraod

^link is correct with misspelling of Colorado typo.

I will award the winning jacket picture by December 15. please post picture up in this thread or the one i put up on Ski and Snowboard

A company founded by Maggots for Maggots. You all are part of what allowed Freeride Systems to get to this point. Thank you and I will continue to serve this community first and foremost.

CONGRATS and Thanks to Smalls in Cali for the first screen shot capture...smalls will be getting special gift for first post of sighting ! This image 11/1/13

Here's an entry from John B and Wicked_Sick

A News Story @ 0.23, 0:29, and more

Damn Good Ones, just submitted ! May be best yet. Correspondent Perez looking sharp ! Great Lighting!

Entry from FussyDutchman

Last edited by MiCol; 11-18-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Nice work, Mike!

nice!

Still pretty psyched on the pants and shorts I got from you. Looks like I'll have to get a jacket too.

Congrats Mike, love your stuff.

^ thanks all !
    www.freeridesystems.com

Good job!

Great work!

I think I convinced myself to pick up a jacket for the season. Looks like a quality product.

Awesome story, sounds like all the sacrifice is starting to pay dividends, best of luck in the future!

I'm in the market for a new shell, looks like your orders are on the uptick.

That's awesome, Mike.

I know firsthand your stuff rocks, so you deserve every bit of success! Will look for it on the news.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

That's cool as hell- congrats!
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Wow. It is so inspirational to know your story, path, and the decisions you made along the way. It's that much more powerful for me to read right now as I start a similar path myself.

Up in Canada without regular TV access (for me, not all Canadians. We have TV up here) so won't likely be seeing your jackets on ABC. But again, wow. ABC New - That's a bit of a coup! Nice work.

Solid work man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

^^^^^^^^Thanks everyone ! It means a lot to have the kind words of support and be able to bring this back to our community. Again, this wouldn't have happened without support, critiques, feedback, etc from this community.
    www.freeridesystems.com

Congratulations !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

From Maggot to Mogul

Way to live your dreams!

Cool. I can sew buttons on a shirt, and that's the extent of my skillz when it comes to needle and thread!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

well done!!! will be on look out! Wish you the best in your efforts.

Great story, Mike. Rags to riches...well enough riches to be a skibum. Congrats bro.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Congrats on the ABC News gig! Spent every day last season in my Antero jacket, best wearing damm coat in 49 years on the hill!!

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Nice YOB mang!!! Keep it up
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    I am asking the maggot community to try to capture the ABC jackets appearing on tv on ABC with screenshots.
    Way to grow Mike!

congrats Mike!! I'll keep an eye out, and hope we get to make some turns again soon!!

So cool. Great story -- and congratulations. I'll be on the lookout for a good screen shot for you.

Congrats, Mike!
    Silent....but shredly.

The biggest bummer about the Antero II is that I bought an Antero last year, and who knows how long it will take to wear out enough that I have an excuse to buy a new one.