Skis: Where Do I Go From Here?

Hi, I've read so many reviews that I am now educated just enough to reach paralysis. I then ventured into a few ski shops and now my condition has worsened. I would like some help finding the right pair of skis for me. I will try to narrow my choices to two or three, demo those, and make a choice. But, I do need a starting point.
    rn
    About me: I'm 46 years old. 5'6" 175. I started skiing when I was 12, a couple of times a year as Christmas presents and with youth groups and such. I advanced quickly...mostly mogul skiing in those days, a lot of ice and crap on China Peak, Mammoth, and Tahoe. Then I didn't ski at all for years.

I started skiing again when I moved to Kalispell, Mt in 2007. I got a season pass for 2009 and for the first time in my life got my own gear...which was awesome, no more blood blisters on both big toes (that actually happened when I was 13) I skied two more days on the same boots.

The shop guys were helpful. I ended up buying a pair of 165 Volkl Tiger Sharks, some Rossignol boots. Well, after a month of skiing I was mostly bored by the groomed runs and started going off trail. I was pretty timid at first but after a few weeks I was going all out skiing places like Connie's, Marmot, and First Creek, on Big Mountain (Whitefish Mountain Resort). But the Tigers were stiff and unforgiving, at least for someone of my ability in most of those places.

I decided to get a pair of powder skis. I bought some Rossignol 78's in a 165 online and hated them. I returned to the shop where I bought the Tiger Sharks and asked for a fat powder ski. I told the guy I was just getting started and he recommended a 159 K2 Misbehaved. I thought he was messing with me but he seemed sincere, so secure in my masculinity I bought them.

Those skis were great. I took them all over the mountain and they allowed me to progress very rapidly. I now ski all over the hill. I don't ski switch or launch off cliffs...well, I do those things but not in a way that would be meaningful to many of you...so here I am, 5 years later looking for a new pair of skis.

I am pretty sure if I were to walk into that shop today and ask for a fat powder ski to learn how to ski off groomed, I'd get a pretty different looking ski, or maybe not? Also, I'm a much better skier now. The K2's were 159/98/118. Would anyone consider that ski a fat today? On the other hand, I've skied it like a fat and its worked so does it matter?

i'm taller than you and you weigh more than me.

go for the yellow ones with waist rocker. jong.

rog

There are so many skis out there it can be a daunting task if you're trying to pick out a new ski. I suggest you go to the local shop and demo a couple different skis instead of buying one right away. Sure it costs some $$$ to do that but you'll learn a lot about what you like and what you don't like. If this is going to be a quiver of one (your one ski to do everything in all conditions) check out skis in the all mountain category since that's what they're designed for. Also don't be afraid to demo skis in different lengths. Good luck!

Based on what you said I'd recommend trying a volkyl mantra, a rosignol scratch (or whatever the equivalent is these days), and a middle of the fat Armada.

I've got a pair of Bluehouse Shoots for sale that would be perfect for you..

Demo, take notes, report back.

As a side note, if you went into a shop and the dude put you on a pair of 159 women's skis to ski powder, I'd suggest not going back to the same shop in the future.

You want 173 Blizzard Bushwackers or 174 Rossi Scimitars. And lessons.

The scent of troll bait is overpowering.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I've been ogling some of the skis in the local shops. The first shop tried to sell me a pair of '13 Pettitors which are nice but seems like a bridge too far right now. I am sort of suspicious of a purchase like that because some shops I'm sure incentivize moving dated product. I'm going to maybe demo them but I decided not to buy until Dec. which is a terrible time to ski up here because of the holidays, but I'll get a chance to try some skis.

Should average snow fall enter into the calculation? We get steady 300+ winters. We have occasional dumps 10-12 inches. Far more common are steady, sometimes relentless accumulations; days of 2-6 inches for a week or two. The snow is very soft for extended periods on the backside of the mountain. Usually, because of a lenient work schedule I can hit the runs early mid-week and catch the killer dumps, ski the hill till my legs are burning then return searching for more for the next few days. I'd say the majority of the time there isn't the huge unblemished snow of 10" plus. It's more that accumulation and pockets in the trees after days and days.

I want a ski to fully take advantage of those dumps and still ski decent in the few days afterward.

Is it relevant what the local shops stock? It looks to be in the super store: Vokol, Rossi, K2, Solomon, etc. In the local shop: Moment, Line, Armada, etc.

I'm centering my search on a mid-fat 105-115 range all mountain with a powder emphasis. So far, from my research and checking out the shops, I like the Line Sir Francis Bacon, the Armada JJ but I'm also considering skinning one or two more directional skis, like the Line Sick day. I want to ski probably a 170 to 180 range ski.

Is there anything you would recommend adding or removing from that list?

4frnt CRJ's come in that size, go get em

I thought I smelled troll, but you might actually be a well-intentioned dude. I may reply later when I'm less busy, but in the meantime check out blister gear review. Tons of ski reviews.

I may disagree with some of them, but I think they're a great resource for many people.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Just remember that rockered skis tend to ski a little shorter. A 170 rockered ski is going to seem very short when it's not 3D. I have the JJ in 185cm and I think it skis much shorter than my non-rockered 178cm Fischer Watea 94s. I skied them back to back (AM/PM) on a 12" powder day at Alta last year and liked the Fischers every bit as much as the JJs.

Go to a small shop in Whitefish called "The White Room".

Awesome shop, best in the Flathead.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters