Anyone skied 2014 Super 7?

Anyone skied the new 2014 Rossi Super 7? Preferably the 188cm. If so, thoughts?

I missed the ski demo because of an injury. Everyone I've spoken with demoed the Soul 7 or the new (2014) Squad 7, but no one skied the new (2014) Super 7.

I have, just a couple runs on hard snow. It's like the S7 but a little better in pretty much every way. Just as maneuverable, more stable, more supportive tail, better rocker shape.

Skied it back to back with the Soul 7 at a demo last season FWIW (both 188). A few fresh windblown turns but mostly fairly firm bumped up trees and groomers. The Super 7 is better than the Soul in every way as far as i'm concerned, even in the less than ideal conditions where I was expecting the soul to be better. The ski held an edge better, was more stable at speed, still extremely maneuverable due to the low swing weight and quick radius. Can't really comment on pow but the few decent turns were predictable for this type of ski. My friend who is a bit more freestyle oriented preferred the Soul because of its looser feel and felt the Super was too much ski for him for the conditions (5'10 120lbs). I'm 5'7 190lbs, park background but have progressed into a bit more technical and aggressive skier. Current set up is 183 TST for all mtn/touring, 179 pettitor for most resort skiing and pow. And 186 bodacious for when I feel the need for speed.
    Last edited by SHITACK; 10-26-2013 at 12:33 AM.

All the hype and attention are on the Soul 7, but I've noticed in more than a few ski reviews that the new Super 7 out scored the Soul. The Super is either in the top or has overall best score within the category as well. Not a big believer in these reviews, but reading between the lines and seeing that the new Super is not really being promoted, but that it's quietly holding its ground, I'm interested in its potential. It's on my short list to try.

^^^^ This. Have noticed the same thing in the reviews. The buzz for the Soul 7 probably reflects its better market niche - covers a wider range of skiers, better width for the typical two ski quiver "powder" ski - than any real superiority over the Super 7.

IMO the super is about 10% softer than the soul, which is already middle of the road stiffness underfoot. Presumably for easy pow skiing. Lots of people enjoying this ski, but soul outsold it 10-1 (at least).

Any updates to this? Figure a few people have to have some time on the new Super by now

Best in resort ski I have used

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Any updates to this? Figure a few people have to have some time on the new Super by now
    I even paid for a pair. Of course I'm one of the best skiers on the mountain, but it works well for my game.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me decide if I got the right length in a 2014 Super 7 188. I'm 5'10", 155 lbs. I'm usually classified as an expert and end up skiing with the chargers usually or put into the top level group in guided situations, with a lot of powder experience. However, I'm going to be 49 this season and am slowing down a bit. I ski 30+ days per year, mostly in Tahoe and Utah. I found a pair of Super 7's in the 188 length for $400 unmounted/still in the shrink wrap and scooped them up. The Rossignol site recommends the 180 length for me. What do you guys think? Should I mount those puppies, or sell and try to find a 180?

Those should be fine. I mean you could do 180 at your age for an easier ski, but as long as you think you can physically ski well with them i see no reason at all to go shorter

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me decide if I got the right length in a 2014 Super 7 188. I'm 5'10", 155 lbs. I'm usually classified as an expert and end up skiing with the chargers usually or put into the top level group in guided situations, with a lot of powder experience. However, I'm going to be 49 this season and am slowing down a bit. I ski 30+ days per year, mostly in Tahoe and Utah. I found a pair of Super 7's in the 188 length for $400 unmounted/still in the shrink wrap and scooped them up. The Rossignol site recommends the 180 length for me. What do you guys think? Should I mount those puppies, or sell and try to find a 180?
    You'll be fine on the 188. Don't let your age stop you! What ski are you coming from? Heavily rockered skis tend to ski very short, and Rossi measures a little short anyway, in my experience. (If it matters, I'm 5'11", 165#, and I wouldn't consider the 180 length.)

OR you could sell them and try a pair of these: http://www.evo.com/skis/on3p-billy-g...6610/clone.jpg. You can search this site for reviews; I'm not going to diatribe in this thread. I just wanted to throw them out there in case you hadn't seen them before.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    You'll be fine on the 188. Don't let your age stop you! What ski are you coming from? Heavily rockered skis tend to ski very short, and Rossi measures a little short anyway, in my experience. (If it matters, I'm 5'11", 165#, and I wouldn't consider the 180 length.)
    My everyday ski is a 2010 Volkl Mantra 177. My current powder ski is a 2007 or 2008 K2 Pontoon 179. The Pontoon is a really fat/heavy ski and doesn't have enough speed for me -- maybe due to the way they rockered it by sort of bending it at 2 distinct points rather than a tapered bend?? If I start linking turns they lose a lot of speed. Don't really know much about the technology, but I'm looking to upgrade to newer stuff obviously. The Pontoon is a blast to go straight down just about anything with powder on it, but it is a different kind of experience for sure. I've gotten mixed advice from ski shops usually based on what they have in stock. Demoing on a proper powder day never seems to happen -- especially last season in Tahoe. I went with the Super 7 because of the light weight and the majority of reviews have been positive except for the pro-level skiers who think it is a bit wimpy.

Anyone skied 2014 Super 7?

I actually own some old 189 pontoons. One of the most fun powder skis for sure. Float is second to none

But it's basically like strapping bricks to your feet. I'm pretty sure my pair with jesters (a pretty light alpine binding) weigh over 20 lbs, probably 21. they kick my ass at the end of the day for sure.

but if you can handle even the 179 pontoon the 188 super 7 should be a walk in the park. Way lighter for sure, and in general I think they are pretty good on the legs

Thanks for the advice Muggy and Auvgeek -- I've decided to stick with the 188's. Now the long wait for snow. Damn, it's hard to get new skis in July.