Page 289 of 321 FirstFirst ... 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,225 of 8014
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I noticed that as well, tried to ignore since the overall vibe of the article is trying to be positive.
    You're a good man. I've grown cynical with the press and big corporations as I've aged. Lying and/or hiding the truth is a shitty fact of life. They could have at least said a 'fall due to mechanical failure'.

But you are correct...good shout out nonetheless.

Trip Report: July 24 (Thursday), Mount Hood

Planned to start skinning at civil daylight, but checked the radar map and went back to sleep, hoping for some more clearing.

And sure enough, when I woke again at civil daylight, the radar map was clear everywhere ... except at Mount Hood:

Lifts were posted as delayed when I started up, then shortly after they pulled the plug entirely for the third day in a row:

Snow surface conditions were:
    - very nice wind-softened freshly regroomed corn down on the Magic Mile (sure burned lots of diesel fuel just for me!);
    - bonus fresh snow from there up to the Palmer mid-station; and,
    - mix of firm groomed and pockets of windblown fresh up above.

Meanwhile, weather conditions were . . . various combinations of bad.

I made it up to the top of the Palmer only because I knew from the prior day that the gate rental shack (now covered in rime) forms a perfect windbreak for the skin>ski transition:

Went up for another partial lap to the top of the freshies.
    Then called it an outing (at 4,310' vertical), a four-day (sort of) trip (at 24,750'), and a season (at 534,800').

Hopped in the car still wearing all my wet clothes and even pack, heading down for:
    - hot french toast (which I usually don’t like at all, but any hot food sure felt great now);
    - hot laundry dryer (stripping down to my underwear in the laundry room, fortunately otherwise deserted);
    - hot tub (interesting conversation with a father & son taking a weather day off from thru hiking the PCT);
    - hot shower (such a better form of liquid H20 than on the Palmer); and,
    - hot air boot dryer (for my water-logged ski boots).

And finally, back at the airport, I knew this was coming up, but still, I couldn’t resist looking:

Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Way to keep the thread alive with the TR's, JS, almost August and still skiing in the US, who needs South America! In other news, Worth is in the news, nice write up, lads!

http://www.powder.com/stories/small-...ut-worth-skis/
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    And sure enough, when I woke again at civil daylight, the radar map was clear everywhere ... except at Mount Hood.

And finally, back at the airport, I knew this was coming up, but still, I couldn’t resist looking:

Maybe you need to mix it up a little... you should learn to windsurf or kite seeing how Hood River is pretty much the world wind junkie mecca.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Rog-esk post but this is too funny not to share.

I was wearing my dopey Moment Skis hat and some guy actually asked me if I was a pro skier. And he was dead serious too.

Well at least I know I'm pulling off the look. lol

Then called it an outing (at 4,310' vertical), a four-day (sort of) trip (at 24,750'), and a season (at 534,800)

Quote Originally Posted by blu View Post
    Way to put the vert in. You must be way over 500k this season. Closer to 7 digits?
    Read much la Blu, or are you just a look at the pictures type?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about skiing in this area unless someone does a bunch of cutting. We had a smaller microburst at the bush about 4 years ago skiers right of Lower Birdland and it is still a fucking mess where no trimming was done. If you look at the video there are rootballs 8+- feet high facing all directions and piles of trees like a game of "pick up sticks" radiating all points of the compass. There will also be rapid pucker growth in the newly opened canopy.

MMMmmm, bacon.
    Yeah, wasn't really planning on skiing it anyway. Word is they can only cut to the edge of the trail to make it passable, everything beyond that has to be left to Mother Nature.

Then called it an outing (at 4,310' vertical), a four-day (sort of) trip (at 24,750'), and a season (at 534,800').
    Holy shit man! You've climbed almost half way to the international space station this year (orbits at 260ish miles). NASA should hire you to ferry supplies. I hear they are in need of anti-wolf measures up there.
    me =
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Anyone going to see G.Love & Special Sauce next Friday? Playing in Burlington at Higher Ground. Band of Horses playing next thurdsday, same venue.

Silent....but shredly.

The Samples in Rutland on Monday night. OCMS in shelburne on Tuesday. G Love too? Great week of music in VT!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Maybe you need to mix it up a little... you should learn to windsurf or kite seeing how Hood River is pretty much the world wind junkie mecca.
    I first visited the Gorge way back in, wow, April 1996 after skiing at Timberline with a friend who was a windsurfing instructor.
    "This place is very windy," I said.
    "No, this is a relatively calm day for here," she replied.
    Kind of like the equivalent of a mountain where every single day has at least some fresh powder!

Anyway, now that I'm gone, the nice summer weather can return to the PNW:

Jonathan, can you provide a gram count on that orange shell of yours?
    Size Small, but generously cut, maybe even more like a Medium:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140725_122456.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	684.8 KB 
ID:	156965

(Discontinued Sierra Designs Cloud Airshell.)

And check this out, official TSA Seal of Approval for my Gu:

(Okay, actually, so many of my June and July tours were cut short because of weather that I ended up bringing back an entire sealed box of Gu packets, which TSA must have opened and resealed, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    You've climbed almost half way to the international space station this year (orbits at 260ish miles). NASA should hire you to ferry supplies.
    Hmm, but would my hypoxic tent be enough to acclimate me for that orbit level?
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Thanx Jonathan! Impressive vert for the season! My best season on George was 282k in 52 days up high in 2011. You crushed it!
    Those are impressive numbers la Blu - be careful touring up there in the winter, esp when the avy danger is elevated. Your best bet is to be solo and use the more tried and true methods of snow evaluations like ski cuts and your pole handle. Bunch of jerks up there waste their time "evaluating" things. Don't let tools like that steer you in the wrong direction. I see you as prob a marker guy and not one of those weight weenie "fiddlers" which makes your 52 day total that much more impressive.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

the samples are, 'wuss rock' defined.
    rock on Dad's!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Agreed. I went with a chick that i'da gone pretty much anywhere with. At the time:P
    eat my balls, rog
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    eat my balls, rog
    X2

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    the samples are, 'wuss rock' defined.
    rock on Dad's!
    Vermont churns your kind for breakfast.

Don't dis my Samples... Probably hate the Eagles and Nickleback, too
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 07-26-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Bad Religion, Pennywise, Vandals, and Offspring on Burlington waterfront, August 8 (RIP Jerry !). A bit different genre than you guys are talking but classic kickass lineup none the less.
    dotswax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Bad Religion, Pennywise, Vandals, and Offspring on Burlington waterfront, August 8 (RIP Jerry !). A bit different genre than you guys are talking but classic kickass lineup none the less.
    Woah! That's good stuff.

Umphrey's on the 7th

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Vermont churns your kind for breakfast.

Don't dis my Samples... Probably hate the Eagles and Nickleback, too
    FTR, that was a joke...

Not a big Eagle or NB fan. But those upcoming shows make me jealous.

^^^Nickleback are the greatest rock band of our era...

Sorry, even sarcastic typing that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Interesting little vid of some unspectacular skiing in the Catskills. But there's almost nothing I want more than to be in some snowy woods right now with just some skis on my feet and an axe to defend myself from the wolves.

That view of Slide from the reservoir never really gets old either although maybe you have to be there.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Trip Report: July 24 (Thursday), Mount Hood

Planned to start skinning at civil daylight, but checked the radar map and went back to sleep, hoping for some more clearing.

And sure enough, when I woke again at civil daylight, the radar map was clear everywhere ... except at Mount Hood:

Lifts were posted as delayed when I started up, then shortly after they pulled the plug entirely for the third day in a row:

Snow surface conditions were:
    - very nice wind-softened freshly regroomed corn down on the Magic Mile (sure burned lots of diesel fuel just for me!);
    - bonus fresh snow from there up to the Palmer mid-station; and,
    - mix of firm groomed and pockets of windblown fresh up above.

Meanwhile, weather conditions were . . . various combinations of bad.

I made it up to the top of the Palmer only because I knew from the prior day that the gate rental shack (now covered in rime) forms a perfect windbreak for the skin>ski transition:

Went up for another partial lap to the top of the freshies.

Hopped in the car still wearing all my wet clothes and even pack, heading down for:
    - hot french toast (which I usually don’t like at all, but any hot food sure felt great now);
    - hot laundry dryer (stripping down to my underwear in the laundry room, fortunately otherwise deserted);
    - hot tub (interesting conversation with a father & son taking a weather day off from thru hiking the PCT);
    - hot shower (such a better form of liquid H20 than on the Palmer); and,
    - hot air boot dryer (for my water-logged ski boots).

If only you had bashed some gates on your rando setup! I'd like to JS in a soft GS course on those Hagons and 4oz bindings.

Four state view from the top of EQX today. Followed by some diving/jumping at the quarry.

/blog

July skiing in the East

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    This just in from the Book of Faces: MadPat and Snowway Steve skied a patch of snow in New Hampshire today. The streak continues. Can't link to pics for some reason.
    The tradition continues...posting over 3-weeks late TR at best. Wife's mom visiting for the last mom and too many pictures to choose from. I tried to get a different twist in this Eastern July TR.

First disclaimer : there is in no way in comparison to Jonathan awesome Cascades volcanoes TRs.

Noticed a few questions in the last few pages:

The last Tuckerman turns I heard of where on July 6. A bunch of us skied it on July 5.

Here is a link to Riverc0il's TR : http://www.thesnowway.com/2014/07/05...ause-i-need-to

Every July experience is different, even if there is rarely much snow left. I decided to good checkout two main Eastern July ski options after skiing in the Laurentians last July and Tuckerman in 2007, 2008 and 2011.

Riverc0il joined me in this madness. There was also the patriotic group that we meet also in 2011 crowding the little snow there was left. Regardless, it was great fun.

Can-Am National Holidays – July 1 & 5 2014 : World Cup, Humidex 106 & Still Sick!!!

Back-to-back ski extreme experiences (i.e. extreme in madness):
    – Temperature in the 90F range one day to 90mph wind gust the next;
    – From shorts and topless to “I need an extra jacket” weather;
    – Driving with heavy storm warnings, torrential rain, T-storm and fireworks;
    – Highway construction and orange cones everywhere;
    – Avoiding wildlife at 75mph like the giant moose standing in middle of the interstate. Plus a fox and maybe even a grey wolf running across the car.
    – Safety was an issue even before I started skiing, especially that I wasn’t even carrying a gun. This is New Hampshire, with the odd grey wolf and firearm carrying citizen.

“What?
    There isn’t any snow?
    Are you mad?” I answered “Yes!”

That was the main reaction by the US Gun-carrying Custom Officer when he questioned me about my plans for US soil. Other reactions of disbelief from fellow hikers on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail where they saw us with our skis? “Are you training for Alaska? Where are you going to find the snow?”

I didn’t get a reaction in Canada: it was just child play. People were climbing the hill in bathing suits to go tubing and didn’t notice us with our skis. I was even told before my July 1 trek if 40+ celsius with humidex wasn’t too hot to go skiing? No, it was one more reason to find some snow. Definitely cooler than playing World Cup football in the Brazilian tropical heat.

Both adventures were greeted with some disappointment at the speed in which the snow had melted since the last pictures were taken of both places.

Click link to continue to read and see more pictures.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/...06-still-sick/

Where is the snow in Tuckerman?

People tubing.

Riverc0il milking it

No patch is too far, nor too small!!!

And a few actions shots :

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com