Page 257 of 321 FirstFirst ... 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,425 of 8014

Friday April 18 TR: Summit, Tux, Oakes, GoS

Some Friday pics and beta (sorry for the lag time and hence any diminished utility)...

Route was:
    - Up TRT > LC > NE Snowfield.
    - Down NE Snowfield to rim of RG.
    - Up a different route to the summit to hook up w/ Andy.
    - Enjoy the beautiful views and weather up on the deck, then a short walk down the road to hook up with the NE Snowfield and down RG.
    - Up LG to cross over to Oakes.
    - Down Airplane Bowl to cross the Dry River on the flats.
    - Up through the woods and then to the top of the LoTC hut snowfields.
    - Down and across to Main Gully, then same Dry River crossing and angle across to GoS.
    - Down #2 and ski trail.

- TRT should hold up well for awhile for skinning to HoJos, although above that are lots of burnt-out sections.

- LC is still good for ascending, although that might change soon. (Would have still been skiable Friday, but RG is a far better choice.)

- Summit was glorious, although remember that NH state law requires taking at least one picture at the summit sign, especially for middle-aged family guys from Western Mass and/or Southern NH:

- NE Snowfield was softening just in time, and could hold up well for a timely Otto Opening; updates available here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Wa...ad/76723350717

Here’s Andy pretty close to the summit:

- From Otto all the way down into the base of Tux via RG was possible with skis on the entire way, although only via a rather tight and steep little sliver that probably wasn’t such a good idea. (Sorry about that Andy!)

- Ascending Left Gully was terrifying ... or rather, the people were terrifying. Slippery alpine downhill bootsoles with meager foot holds were scary enough, but the soft snowboard boots with those “traction devices” intended for getting your morning newspaper at the foot of the driveway were something else altogether . . .

- Snow in O.G. Airplane Bowl was absolutely perfect with no sign of any tracks, recent or old. All the little lines were still linkable via multiple traverses. The picture doesn’t look like much, but if it continues to hold up okay, is very easy to reach from the top of LG for some mini golf fun (although the full ~1,360' descent to the flats is probably rough by now):

- Dry River crossing was interesting, with a deep snowpack dramatically busted through by what must have been a dramatic water channel at the time. Fortunately it was back down to a trickle, with a very easy crossing point (choice of two massive logs, embedded in ice for backup).

- Didn’t bother getting a really good look at Halfpipe Gully (aka Center), and this picture isn’t very helpful either, but the waterfall at the crux in that line always steers me away from there at this time of year anyway:

- Seemed like the Monroe summit ridgeline snowfields could still be linked with the LoTC hut snowfields, but I was getting very late for a GoS descent, and the traverse into the nice new snow of Main Gully was nice compensation for not maxing out the vertical on that side:

- I was worried about a potentially long off-snow traverse to cross over into GoS, but fortunately a little ribbon of snow kept going almost all the way to the ridgeline, and then the walk down into the top of #2 was pretty casual.

- Snow cover in #2 was excellent, and had barely been skied:

- Looking Finger Lickin’ Good:

- GoS trail snow quality was super nice, with deep cover all the way to the bottom, except for the two trivial stream crossings down low (i.e., just above and below the Avalanche Brook ski trail junction), and quite a few sections starting below the Graham junction that are getting baked. Could be lots of portages ... very soon.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Headed up trt early tomorrow am... Not sure where I will end up, but on 183 bros. Ask for change!

An hour and a half of the wheel netted some quality turns till the goon squad arrived in earnest, so I left.
    This guy is around all the time in any conditions. Of course someone tricked him into cross country gear. He skis much better than the dork tele guy in a jesters hat that I watched clip Dennis' [creator of Dennyland] camera bag while he was doing a private shoot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5601.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	154458
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

JS, thanks for the lung busting report and solid beta. Go Team Hagan
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post
    Rob - were you by any chance the gentleman who was smoking a cigar while skiing down the GoS trail?

I believe we chatted briefly (I was on my way up)

Sat was more of a character building experience - today was the perfect sprig skiing day.
    Ya mean this guy?

Lit that one at 4980 feet and got it as far as the top of the last steep bit .3 of a mile from the Sherby. Rough conditions up high or not, an unexpected hall pass could not go unused!

Glad you found it fine today!
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

What stogie u smoking?
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Up and at'em kids, lets go skiing.

51.3` bob
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Dennis' [creator of Dennyland] camera bag while he was doing a private shoot.

Name:	IMG_5601.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	154458
    that wouldn't be Dennis Curran, would it?
    i was good friends with his daughter Kimberly back in the 80's, down at Nauset Beach and whatnot.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Up and at'em kids, lets go skiing.

51.3` bob
    Git sum!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    Yesterday at Jay was pure heaven! Ski patrol brunch and egg hunt at the patrol cabin at the top of the blue, soft snow, lots of sun and blue sky. As Woodcorps and I left the brunch, we were approached by a guy in a sitski who wanted to know if we'd mind taking a run in the trees with him. He could rip! People cheered from the lift. Upper trees were still firm, so we dipped into Stateside Glades for a cream-cheese smooth run.

Anyone here want to own up to asking the lady in bunny ears if she was training for Alaska? Didn't get the chance to get your name since we were loading the Flyer, planned to talk to you at the top but were detoured by a woman asking the easiest way down for her 5-year-old's first time from the top of the mountain. After she left, you'd already disappeared down the mountain.

Still lots of snow on the mountain!
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Nice to see people getting the goods over the weekend. Gaspe was excellent spring snow and sunshine. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIORFORGETIT View Post
    What stogie u smoking?
    La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero, 565. Maduro wrapper.

^ thx, will check it out.

big fan of arturo fuente & avo- the sticks that are mild to medium I enjoy.
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    that wouldn't be Dennis Curran, would it?
    i was good friends with his daughter Kimberly back in the 80's, down at Nauset Beach and whatnot.
    It looks like Jay. Used to work with him at VASS. Good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIORFORGETIT View Post
    ^ thx, will check it out.

big fan of arturo fuente & avo- the sticks that are mild to medium I enjoy.
    The flavor is balanced and seems medium, but the double portion of the sunniest leaves makes for a pretty strong smoke.

Heading to THE BEAST and (thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Wheeze) will have three Heady Toppers in tow.

Attachment 154465 Attachment 154466

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	154461 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	124 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	154462

Views:	106 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	154463 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	113 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	154464

enjoy. last 3 days were excellent, with yesterday's snow/temps making it about as good as it gets.
    Last edited by buckethead; 04-21-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Here's a pic Andy took of me on Friday:

Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

vid from the chocs from earlier in april

"Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Cool ^^^
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

^^^^
    ^^^^
    Yup, very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    enjoy. last 3 days were excellent, with yesterday's snow/temps making it about as good as it gets.
    Great sharing the harvest with you and MNIAW. Empanadas taste great with corn.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post

Poudre Salope
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    Thanks for getting me through the day.

Last edited by east or bust; 04-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Found some local 194 goats for 300 and 192 bent chetlers for 350 if anyone wants them. Tis the season.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi