Page 281 of 321 FirstFirst ... 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 8014
    And time to bounce the rubble with yet another Otto TR . . .

Didn't have time for the NE Snowfield yesterday since I had to be driving down by 2:30.
    But fortunately we were driving up by just a little after the 8:30 opening bell, registering an impressive 10mpg in my partner's hybrid:

Although objects in mirror are closer than they appear, Pipeline isn’t any closer to the top of Airplane than it appears here, and its three segments aren’t any closer to each other either:

The top of Airplane though is very closer to the Air Force parking lot:

But, does it still ... go?

Depends on what qualifies as continuous:

Here’s my partner banging out some quick jump turns amidst tight confines immediately above the second choke:

Fortunately it opened up nicely in the final stretch after the third choke:

Measured out at 761.43 vertical feet over seven laps, with another 38.57' vert potentially available for an even 800 but the booting back up through there would have been unwise given the apparent undermining (as glimpsed briefly at the end of Andy’s video when the view shifts back down the slope).

Overall, a very fine outing given the combination of terrain, snow quality, snow quantity, weather, and companionship.
    Unfortunately, that is about to change very soon – well, just the weather and snow quantity – so the better (less limited? less ridiculous?) skiing is about to shift back to Tux.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Yeah, I thought that, but it was probably three feet long. I've never seen a porcupine that big, do they get that big?

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums
    They impressed Bill Staines (singer songwriter) so much he had to include one in a song. He has said that the incident with the porky shambling through his campsite started the thought that became the song. Any children in your lives probably love this song almost as much as Tommy Makem's son "Waltzing with Bears"

Song credits:
    words & music by Bill Staines
    All God's critters got a place in the choir
    Some sing low, some sing higher,
    Some sing out loud on the telephone wires,
    And some just clap their hands, or paws, or anything they
    got now

REPEAT

Listen to the bass, it's the one on the bottom
    Where the bullfrog croaks and the hippopotamus
    Moans and groans with a big t'do
    And the old cow just goes moo.

The dogs and the cats they take up the middle
    While the honeybee hums and the cricket fiddles,
    The donkey brays and the pony neighs
    And the old coyote howls.
    CHORUS

Listen to the top where the little birds sing
    On the melodies with the high notes ringing,
    The hoot owl hollers over everything
    And the jaybird disagrees.

Singin' in the night time, singing in the day,
    The little duck quacks, then he's on his way.
    The 'possum ain't got much to say
    And the porcupine talks to himself.

CHORUS

It's a simple song of living sung everywhere
    By the ox and the fox and the grizzly gear,
    The grumpy alligator the the hawk above,
    The sly raccoon and the turtle dove.

CHORUS
    REPEAT

© Bill Staines
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Second hand information from today's Hotel Burke ground breaking is that Steve Wright has been promoted to General Manager at Burke. He was VP of Marketing, Sales, and Hospitality at Jay Peak before moving to this position.
    I haven't heard how this works out with Ary Quiros, the President and CEO at Burke (the guy that burned all the bridges with Kingdom Trails last Fall).
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    was it this, guy?
    fisher cat, creepy motherfuckers.
    That's what I was thinking reading his description but the pictures point to a porky-pine

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I was hoping maybe some New England mags with more wildlife expertise than I could help me out in figuring out what animal I saw this past weekend.

My friends and I were rock climbing in Erving, Massachusetts, approximately a quarter mile from the road and several hundred feet uphill (Across a road and maybe a quarter mile further from a river) when we heard a noise in the woods and spotted this animal walking slowly through the woods. Its behavior seemed odd, in that it didn’t take notice of us at all and was moving fairly slowly. It was very large- about the size of a big bear cub, which is what we though it was at first. At first I thought it was a beaver, but its tail isn’t flat and it has fur, and its face didn’t look like a beaver’s. Then I thought perhaps a badger, but its face didn’t look like a badger’s face either, no stripes. And although the perspective doesn’t capture it, it really was big, much bigger than any beaver I’ve ever seen. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Attachment 155917Attachment 155917
    Attachment 155918
    So how is the fire swamp this time of year? I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home there, but the trees are actually quite lovely.

Looking for some info from the NEK. Going to be fishing Magog on Sunday and hoping to stay in Newport that night. Have done a little Googling and it seems Newport City Inn and Suites is just "fine" (not looking to do a B & B) and that Le Belvedere is the place to get a really choice meal. Does anyone have other suggestions? Have spent lots of time around Willoughby but only an afternoon in Newport so do not know the town well at all. Thanks in advance!

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Looking for some info from the NEK. Going to be fishing Magog on Sunday and hoping to stay in Newport that night. Have done a little Googling and it seems Newport City Inn and Suites is just "fine" (not looking to do a B & B) and that Le Belvedere is the place to get a really choice meal. Does anyone have other suggestions? Have spent lots of time around Willoughby but only an afternoon in Newport so do not know the town well at all. Thanks in advance!

I think that's just a fancy new name for the old Newport City Motel. Standard cheap ass motel, they used to have an indoor pool, IIRC. I stayed there 5-6 times in college. Should be fine for a boys fishing trip, but your wife might not appreciate it if she'll be with you.

sorry ml242, never got around to that TR... just too busy is my excuse. surf has been good, as well as other spring/summer mtl stuff goin on

but I did make a quick edit from the gaperpro footage of me sideslipping a nice run (twice).

music by my buddy's band Eagle Tears who just won a contest to play HeavyMTL! Pumped for them http://eagletears.bandcamp.com/

see y'all next year!

great vid, but i have to say i love the tunes!
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    sorry ml242, never got around to that TR... just too busy is my excuse. surf has been good, as well as other spring/summer mtl stuff goin on

but I did make a quick edit from the gaperpro footage of me sideslipping a nice run (twice).

...snip.....
    music by my buddy's band Eagle Tears who just won a contest to play HeavyMTL! Pumped for them http://eagletears.bandcamp.com/

see y'all next year!
    Cool in the Couloir nice tunes too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post

I've had fine meals at Lago when traveling to/from Jay Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    yuppp, hate porcupines.

And those Fischer Cats sure are a nasty animal. One took out a family cat a few years ago. I was not home, but wife and step daughter threw chairs at it and finally chased it with a toboggan to get it to drop the cat.
    Sorry bout the cat but that's a funny story. A toboggan? I mean come on, man. Who uses a toboggan?
    dotswax.com

Mainahs

I believe their thinking at the time was that the toboggan provided a fairly long tool to thrust at the Fischer. That and it was right by the back door.

National Championship

More than once I have laid claim to my brother having the longest, most complex private toboggan run in the world.

Gotta love Outdoor GearX, just picked up Sportiva Miuras ($160) for 32 bucks, used of course, but they still have plenty of life left in em.

Climbing season is in session.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Mainahs

I believe their thinking at the time was that the toboggan provided a fairly long tool to thrust at the Fischer. That and it was right by the back door.

National Championship

More than once I have laid claim to my brother having the longest, most complex private toboggan run in the world.
    Wow, that looks like a fun event!

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    I saw my second dead body in Camden (the first was Hoboken). I would have never guessed they had such a sweet tobog scene down there!
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Put the toboggan down nihiles, how's the wrist doing?

Biking is off the charts good right now, low humidity and a nice dew is keeping the trails tacky deluxe. Even after working a ten hour day it is so easy to roll out the door every night for a quick spin in the backyard trails. Ride,Ride,Ride

Strawjack, sorry about the loss of your family friend.

57` and breezy w/ clear blue skies bob.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Lake Awosting with the southern Cats in the background:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	156031

Henderson Boulder and the Hudson highlands:

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	156033

Tail End of Manhattan-henge:

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	937.6 KB 
ID:	156034

Had the climbing shoes in the bag but they never came up. Nice day. I grabbed an epic nap by the lake at lunchtime. Glad that Lemmy agreed to drive the extra couple exits past Harriman, it was really nice hike. Not that there's anything wrong with Harriman, but what a day!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Avila QC : February 10, 2014 – No Fun

I wrote this TR in February, but never got around to upload the pictures and never published it. I generally wouldn't bother posting a link about to a TR of a small Laurentian hill that I just posted on the blog from a few turns last February, but there are a few underlying messages here:

Some people are going to make some turns at Mont Avila in less than 3 weeks.
    Co-worker would have turned 43 last month. He didn't smoke or drink. He wasn't married nor had any kids. Never complained about the long hours he was asked to go at work.
    F*ck cancer!!!
    Live life now!!!

Avila QC : February 10, 2014 – No Fun

Nothing Fun about Funerals!

I went to a co-worker’s funeral in the beautiful church of St-Sauveur-des-Monts. We joined the organization at the same time and we’re office neighbours in that first year. Three years ago he was diagnosed with inoperative cancer: he died this month at the young age of 42.

David was a guy with a big heart and one of the biggest practical jokers that I have ever meet.

Click link to read TR and see more pictures,
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/...0-2014-no-fun/

Snowmound park used at the end of June

From another aspect.

RIP David, happy birthday and F*ck Cancer. Your sense of humour and practical jokes are deeply missed.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

i like the lights at night. sorry about your friend. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i like the lights at night. sorry about your friend. RIP.
    Thanks Matt. I wouldn't call him a close friend, but he was a close co-worker.

He was a great guy, I rarely meet him outside work besides at a bar or pub after work when we worked together (same division) back in 96-97. The guy didn't drink, but he joined us anyway.

We often had lunch together. We were shocked when he told us that he had skin cancer and that the doctor told him that he would die of cancer. As David said, it can be in the next 6 months like it can be next year. I believe that the longest they expected him to live is something like 18 months...he made it over 3 years. As he know there was very little hope, he agreed to help research and try some experimental treatments that had rarely been tested.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

The snow field probably won't last until next weekend. But yesterday was fun.

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Looking good, Tuckerman. Thanks for the update.... I wish I could have made it up this year.

Tough times MadPatSki, hang in man.

Sunday, Rider.Steve and I, nabbed a guys day out while our better four fifths were doing other things. We went to Great Brook Farm, a state park in Carlisle, MA. It is not a 'core sort of place but it has wonderfully mellow riding with a few little challenges. Some of the trails were laid out by NEMBA.

Great Brook Farm has a mixed use trails system frequented by hikers, equestrians and bikes. Horses can use most of the trails with clear markings where they aren't allowed. Hikers can use the entire network but there are some trails they avoid and are used almost entirely for MTB. It was my first MTB day there but I have skied the Nordic trails there for four decades. The X-C trails are also more easy and mellow than challenge, but very entertaining!

BTW: There is a $2 parking fee (pay at the kiosk and display receipt on dash) and they are short of printed maps, so, if you go, download or print http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/par...ook-summer.pdf

BTW2: There is an on premises ice cream stand.

BTW3: There are off system road links to more trails in Chelmsford, and, it appears, in Billerica. We got some beta about it from other riders. On driving away, I took a different route to check out those general directions. It looked like hardly any chore to link the different forest lands. Next time I go, I shall see about the riding connections in those other towns.