Page 274 of 321 FirstFirst ... 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,850 of 8014
    Tux update: Sherburne was finally closed down entirely this afternoon.
    (Plus the usual falling ice hazard.)

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchec...trail-closure/

Quote Originally Posted by MWAC Snow Ranger Frank Carus at 1:39pm on May 10
    Recent rain and warm weather have washed out snow bridges and melted long stretches of the Sherburne ski trail making it necessary to walk down from Hermit Lake. Additionally, flowing water and sustained warm temperatures have finally brought our spring icefall and crevasse hazards into bloom. Sluice Ice and the Center Bowl look ready to launch car-to-bus sized blocks of ice into Lunch Rocks and the floor of the Ravine. If you are bringing Mom up tomorrow, be sure to stay away from these hazards. We’ll be issuing an advisory in the morning and posting pictures tonight.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Making NJ tolerable, gunna suck when it runs out!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	155228  

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    You do realize you'll need to switch to a spreadsheet for all trip planning immediately?

No, the daytrip packing checklist is on Upvise, and speaking of which, I need to revise it to reflect my newly enhanced RT3-inspired kit:

(Hope our daughter doesn't notice that I raided her gear, and maybe she knows some boys who can lend me realistic-looking armaments to deter all the gray wolves.)

Great late season day at Kmart.

Rain stoped around 9.30 am and the weather held up nicely after that with the clouds gradually clearing over the course of the afternoon.

Superstar had been groomed mid week, but bumped up nicely.

Cascade is still skiable - snow had really nice consistency, but was sun-cupped. More traffic would have been great to smooth it out but hardly anyone was going there.

Some grassing was required.

Here is where the snow ended.

Looks like they may try to take it to Memorial Day, but it depends on how many more hot rainstorms roll through.

NH DOT opened Bear Notch Road on 5/8/2014, The Mt. Washington Auto Road is not yet open to the summit but you can keep tabs at the link.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Headed up for afternoon laps at Airplane, great snow conditions.

OOOOOH FML my passport expires on the 14th.

Canadian mags, anything in quebec? Faaaaak.

Oops Fishn's heatn up. Bike still parked. Got some trail work lined up starting this week. Stowe, Waterbury, Northfield. For now it's FISH ON!

Name:	rainbowspring.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	155330  

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    No, the daytrip packing checklist is on Upvise, and speaking of which, I need to revise it to reflect my newly enhanced RT3-inspired kit:

(Hope our daughter doesn't notice that I raided her gear, and maybe she knows some boys who can lend me realistic-looking armaments to deter all the gray wolves.)
    Rt3 only skis on Superbros with S920s though: ) dodges skied great yesterday, fresh corn in plain sight.

Sent from my VS980 4G using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Rt3 only skis on Superbros with S920s though: ) dodges skied great yesterday, fresh corn in plain sight.

Sent from my VS980 4G using TGR Forums
    Nice. Way to get at it! Any thoughts on how the snow will hold up for next weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Oops Fishn's heatn up. Bike still parked. Got some trail work lined up starting this week. Stowe, Waterbury, Northfield. For now it's FISH ON!
    Yup! Nice one dude.
    Hope this is a sign of the season to come, one from this weekend

Nice work Neufox!

And another great report Jon, sorry I could stick around to hang with you guys.

Fun weekend of sun and activity, No visit to the NH airport which looks great and Saturday riding was great as the lack of leaves allowed the overnight rain to evaporate quickly.
    Visitors arrived from "The City" and after an evening of beer and bourbon we whipped a tasty breakfast and headed to Stowe to catch some rays and ski some awesome flat corn. We tried to get some beta on skiing up high beforehand to no avail and arrived to find those options closed. With only one 10' section of grass Nosedive provided top to bottom turns.

I've Seen Black Diamonds in harvest mode

ML242 carving

The only blight was Sadie finding a porcupine while we languished at the top of the quad and gaining a mouthful of quills.

Dequilled and heading down

We were met with wet slab in the notch on our top rope attempt and ended the visit with some bouldering

All in all a great weekend and a couple of more excellent days to get some more riding in before the rains return, Get after it!

Tunes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5819.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	155331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5851.jpg 
Views:	840 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	155332

Name:	IMG_5821.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	155333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5890.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	155334  
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Fun weekend of sun and activity, No visit to the NH airport which looks great and Saturday riding was great as the lack of leaves allowed the overnight rain to evaporate quickly.
    Visitors arrived from "The City" and after an evening of beer and bourbon we whipped a tasty breakfast and headed to Stowe to catch some rays and ski some awesome flat corn. We tried to get some beta on skiing up high beforehand to no avail and arrived to find those options closed. With only one 10' section of grass Nosedive provided top to bottom turns.

I've Seen Black Diamonds in harvest mode

ML242 carving

The only blight was Sadie finding a porcupine while we languished at the top of the quad and gaining a mouthful of quills.

Dequilled and heading down

We were met with wet slab in the notch on our top rope attempt and ended the visit with some bouldering

All in all a great weekend and a couple of more excellent days to get some more riding in before the rains return, Get after it!

Tunes

Name:	IMG_5819.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	155331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5851.jpg 
Views:	840 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	155332

No snow leopard sightings at THE BEAST yesterday but we did come in close proximity to a wily, beer drinking unicorn.

Name:	KilliMay2014C.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	155339

Still plenty of snow.

Name:	KilliMay2014D.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	155340

And fun turns to be had.

Name:	KilliMay2014E.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	155341

Name:	KilliMay2014F.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	155342

Name:	KilliMay2014G.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	155343

^^ Skiing is serious business. But not as serious as those margaritas were! Good times and awesome snow yesterday.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    .... headed to Stowe to catch some rays and ski some awesome flat corn....

...We were met with wet slab in the notch on our top rope attempt and ended the visit with some bouldering...
    looks fun.

next time you're in the notch looking to climb, hit Steep Jugs! (2 pitches, 5.9), the climb my buddy and I put in last year. It needs more climbers!!

It dries out wicked quick, and has a nice setting with a great belay ledge. P1 is top ropeable. and if you're friend is willing to take on that fin, he's prolly got the climbing skills to lead P2... both anchors are bolted
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Nice. Way to get at it! Any thoughts on how the snow will hold up for next weekend?
    There was a lot of snow in all the main avy paths. The ice bulge / choke in Dodges was relatively easy to navigate, however, with a forecast like this

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...0#.U3ErOighhzg

I don't know if places like the ice bulge / choke in Dodge's will hold up for too much longer.

My general laziness and a desire to drive less than 50 miles, narrowed my skiing choices to the peoples Republic of bellayre to milk the last 350' pitch in town

The dirt walking had increased

But higher up there was better travel choices

And nice soft short corn pitches

No firearms were needed with it being Mother's day, a national holiday for man and beast alike. Now northward to milk some VT patches. Second season could extend into mid June it seems -
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 05-12-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Some nice skinning at Killington this evening. . .

Last edited by Jonathan S.; 05-14-2014 at 08:37 AM.

What a great weekend!!!

Who is hanging on?
    Who is over?

MSS and Jay said they were done. Skied both. A couple of feet (5-8') of base left at MSS and they could probably push for an extra weekend like they did last season, however the skiers haven't showed up much with the iffy weather on most weekends this Spring.

Killington said it was going as long as snow. Will they make it to June? I personally think it is a long shot (5%), slightly over 50% for Memorial day weekend.

Hang Over !!! Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 – Part 7
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/...013-14-part-7/

Next stop Kmart!!!
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

I did something yesterday I thought I was done doing...but when a friend calls and says he wants to celebrate his 40th bday up in the bowl...well you go! I can't remember the last time I hiked down that far (trt) with skis on my back. My knees survived thanks to biking therapy I think. Great time, great weather.

This was the extent of our ripping epicness

great stoke all...glad folks are keeping the season alive!

kmart was great this past weekend in spite of an iffy forecast.

friday was gray but dry/tee shirt warm and snow was outstanding

saturday started ugly with rain and fog but by 1pm it was full-on bluebird

sunday was bluebird all day. great crowd and vibe in spite of the holiday.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	155377Click image for larger version. 

Views:	128 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	155378Click image for larger version. 

Views:	134 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	155379Click image for larger version. 

Views:	128 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	155380

Shameless spam post, more like putting out a feeler. Trying to sell my bike, 2012 Specialized Camber Elite, 26, XL frame. About 50 days of riding over two summers, so still in great shape. PM if interested..

Name:	IMAG0951.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	854.6 KB 
ID:	155383

Someone plz share some Parc National de la Gaspésie (chic chocs) beta. Since my long weekend plans went to shit with my expired passport, Gaspésie seems like a cool destination. But it's 1300KM. I really need to gather details quickly. No time to fumble around there to get my bearings.

5-8' base left at MSS? Crazy.

PM coming on the bike. Been looking.