Page 288 of 321 FirstFirst ... 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 ... LastLast
Results 7,176 to 7,200 of 8014
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_ski View Post
    Drone footy of the new "glade" on Mansfield. Courtesy of Mike Hitleman Photography

I wouldn't get too excited about skiing in this area unless someone does a bunch of cutting. We had a smaller microburst at the bush about 4 years ago skiers right of Lower Birdland and it is still a fucking mess where no trimming was done. If you look at the video there are rootballs 8+- feet high facing all directions and piles of trees like a game of "pick up sticks" radiating all points of the compass. There will also be rapid pucker growth in the newly opened canopy.

MMMmmm, bacon.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

second what VTF says. that place is a nest of crap. SMR can't touch it according to the state forester. maybe a few locals will take on the task of making some routes through the nest... unlikely though IMO. that's hateful work
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    I've got a feeling my buddy is going to bail on me, so does anyone want to climb a 7 pitch 5.5 in Crawford Notch tomorrow?
    Grubbers, where were you? if i'd checked in, i'd have joined you (well, two of us anyway). We did Hugo's on Willard on the 20th.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Lost In The Sun on Mt. Webster.

How is Hugo's? That's another route I'd like to climb soon.

Run out in places, but there are chains at every belay except first (nest of trees with a rap station at 180')
    But the friction climbing is sufficient and it's so slabby that the runouts aren't too bad. bring Tricams. I found a ton of creative places to slip on in. We did have places to use big boys (3", 4" cams) but they weren't necessary. Only one place, below the third pitch rings that it was my only option.

We followed it up with Ground Control. First pitch looks fully runout, but there are tons of pockets and features once you get on it and get moving. Second pitch is a sport climb with two bolts and an anchor. Then its a bushwack through some brush to the ice climber's trail to the summit and a summer stroll back to the parking lot on the main trail.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Trip Report: July 21 (Monday), the “real” Mount Adams

After weeks of watching the warm dry weather since my late June PNW trip, suddenly the wx fx took a turn for the worse during my planned trip this week.

SW incremental price to fly out a day earlier for the only perfectly clear slot?
    A lot!
    Worth it?
    Yes!

Excellent snow everywhere - well, except for the summit of course, but that is almost always the case with these volcanoes.

Key stats:
    - Total vertical = 10,388'
    - % skied = ~90%
    - Miles = 18.73
    - Gu packets consumed = 10 (plus 4 Odwalla bars)
    - Water consumed = not enough
    - Gray wolf sightings = 0
    - Beretta Px4 Storm sightings = 0

Summit selfie with Rainier in the background:

Looking back up at my summit tracks (far left) - about a third of this actually skied quite well, about a third of it skied like it looked, and the other third skied ... even worse:

Ready to ski over 3,700' vertical in the SW Chutes:

Semi-successful selfie attempt with SW Chutes:

From the base of the SW Chutes, skinned back up my “NW Passage” (well, actually trending to the NE) to rejoin Lunch Counter, with the goal of skinning back up to the Piker’s Peak false summit.

Unfortunately, given my not-quite-alpine start of after ten o’clock, and given some thin clouds, at ~10,000' elevation the snow was just starting to firm up.

Deviated from the main South Climb route after awhile to find an entirely untouched snowfield down to ~8,460' then skinned back up to ~9,540' where once again the snow was starting to firm back up given the late hour.

Even the main Lunch Counter snowfield skied very well, with such wonderful wide-open expanses:

Maxed out the Crescent [not-really-a] Glacier, played connect-the-snow-ribbons for awhile, then finally rejoined the dry hiking trail, with some bonus views of Mount Hood catching the evening sun:

Hustled down back to town so that I could repack quickly and get some [insufficient] sleep before waking very early this morning so that we could take advantage of the relatively dry slot in the wx fx ... or alternatively, sit at our respective laptops in my motel room, trying to get some work done while obsessively checking the radar map!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Hey, I suffered a bruised ego yet again while overlooking the lake you were boating on. Nice view though, what a weekend. Hope that you heal up quickly, I was out for a month and a half with tendonitis and I'm so glad to be back flailing on some walls. Gotta say, the highlight of being up there was taking a canoe out at night and just staring at the stars. Such a great view of the sky being on a huge lake with no lights.
    Thanks, and hell yea the lake night Zappa cruise is a long time tradition on Indian Lake for that exact reason.

Action Park shenanigans from the week before:

http://nyskiblog.com/action-park-nj-reopens/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sw.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	156899

Always wanted to do the "tarzan swing"
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 07-22-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

last e.c. turns were 7-15-14 at sugarloaf.
    https://www.facebook.com/sugarloaf/p...type=1&theater

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Trip Report: July 21 (Monday), the “real” Mount Adams

After weeks of watching the warm dry weather since my late June PNW trip, suddenly the wx fx took a turn for the worse during my planned trip this week.

SW incremental price to fly out a day earlier for the only perfectly clear slot?
    A lot!
    Worth it?
    Yes!

Excellent snow everywhere - well, except for the summit of course, but that is almost always the case with these volcanoes.

Key stats:
    - Total vertical = 10,388'
    - % skied = ~90%
    - Miles = 18.73
    - Gu packets consumed = 10 (plus 4 Odwalla bars)
    - Water consumed = not enough
    - Gray wolf sightings = 0
    - Beretta Px4 Storm sightings = 0

Summit selfie with Rainier in the background:

Looking back up at my summit tracks (far left) - about a third of this actually skied quite well, about a third of it skied like it looked, and the other third skied ... even worse:

Ready to ski over 3,700' vertical in the SW Chutes:

Semi-successful selfie attempt with SW Chutes:

From the base of the SW Chutes, skinned back up my “NW Passage” (well, actually trending to the NE) to rejoin Lunch Counter, with the goal of skinning back up to the Piker’s Peak false summit.

Unfortunately, given my not-quite-alpine start of after ten o’clock, and given some thin clouds, at ~10,000' elevation the snow was just starting to firm up.

Deviated from the main South Climb route after awhile to find an entirely untouched snowfield down to ~8,460' then skinned back up to ~9,540' where once again the snow was starting to firm back up given the late hour.

Even the main Lunch Counter snowfield skied very well, with such wonderful wide-open expanses:

Maxed out the Crescent [not-really-a] Glacier, played connect-the-snow-ribbons for awhile, then finally rejoined the dry hiking trail, with some bonus views of Mount Hood catching the evening sun:

Hustled down back to town so that I could repack quickly and get some [insufficient] sleep before waking very early this morning so that we could take advantage of the relatively dry slot in the wx fx ... or alternatively, sit at our respective laptops in my motel room, trying to get some work done while obsessively checking the radar map!
    I need to start making summer ski trips. Nice report.

Sent from my VS980 4G using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I need to start making summer ski trips.
    Just try to be flexible with the timing -- the PNW has been so hot and dry this summer that my partner's wife is pushing for central AC (very rare in Portland), yet somehow both of my summer ski trips this year have included almost all the season's rain so far!

Trip Report: July 22 (Tuesday), the “real” Mount Adams

Waited until the radar map showed the rain moving out.
    But as I suspected, the lack of rain was nevertheless accompanied by a lack of visibility:

I wasn’t worried about skiing safety given that the terrain is all fairly mellow on the South Climb route.
    But we were obviously at high risk for being stalked by packs of predatory gray wolves.
    So we turned around after a little over 4k vert.

Light rain started up after we maxed out the lower Crescent [not-really-a] Glacier.
    But it stopped shortly after we played connect-the-snow-ribbons and transitioned to hiking.

Dual selfie with the clearing valley in the background:

From the drive down, looking back up at the mountain’s cloud deck :

While driving back from dinner (burger at the Station Café of course), saw that all the campers (counted about 15 heading up during our short tour) were finally enjoying some clearing (before being subjected to utter misery overnight and then the following day):

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    second what VTF says. that place is a nest of crap. SMR can't touch it according to the state forester. maybe a few locals will take on the task of making some routes through the nest... unlikely though IMO. that's hateful work
    Youz VT'ers are soft. I'd ski that shit switch to the road!

I am sure you were well prepared for ravening wolves but I worry that you guys did not bury some beverages in the snow so your rehydration on the way out could start at the last transition.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    I am sure you were well prepared for ravening wolves but I worry that you guys did not bury some beverages in the snow so your rehydration on the way out could start at the last transition.
    That transition yesterday was not a place to relax ...
    But the motel hot tub and the Station Cafe burger place, now we're talking!

Trip Report: July 23 (Wednesday), Mount Hood

Went out to my car this morning at the Trout Lake Valley Inn and ... no rain!
    Went out again ... rain.
    Back inside, thunder.

Thought of the three camping parties we had seen heading up yesterday afternoon:
    - Five or so adults = utter misery.
    - Young guy with chipper and nicely made-up lady = will she break up with him on the mountain or wait until back in civilization?
    - About eight teenage girls and an adult male leader = will the negligence bring only civil lawsuits or also criminal charges?

Instead of Adams, checked out Hood:

Yes, the Palmer will be mine, all mine!

Or is that so good after all:

Arriving in the parking lot, I decided to refrain from the usual depressing windshield picture.

So I took one out the side window instead:

After two full laps plus one to just a little past the [today-not-so-] Magic Mile, I’d had my fill of over 6,000' vertical of very nice groomed untouched corn ... and my boots were filled with water!

Time for the hot tub (although I did remove my lycra race suit first):

Once I finally built up the courage to go back out to my car to retrieve various wet items, I was greeted by ... brilliant sunshine?

Fortunately the Timberline webcam still looked horrible so I wasn’t tempted to go back up for more laps:

Nice TR, Jonathan! There's no stopping you!

I've been training hills all summer... Can't wait for next season!

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

JS...did you move to OR?... Either way, I am jealous!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Feels like Fall today. It's screwing with my ability to stay calm through summer. Hopefully that drone footage will go viral and motivate some college kids to get in there!

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Youz VT'ers are soft. I'd ski that shit switch to the road!
    actually its the jersey folks living in vt that are the softies
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

And the clown bikers
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Was just about to drop that link in yeah - yeah Worth crew!!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    "Severe fall in Tuckerman". Two fails in one sentence. Heaven forbid they speak truth about Sollie shit. Fuck off powder.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    "Severe fall in Tuckerman". Two fails in one sentence. Heaven forbid they speak truth about Sollie shit. Fuck off powder.
    I noticed that as well, tried to ignore since the overall vibe of the article is trying to be positive.