Page 53 of 321 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 8014
    Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    ya^^^^^I remember when living in east burke how it seemed to snow a coupla/few inches for days on end and kept the conditions fantastic!

rog
    2-3 inches everyday adds up after a while.

This part of VT is not really known for its deep powder days (I need less than five fingers to count them from the last 3-4 years). However, it is usually a good region to find a nice fresh surface and consistent conditions.

The last few years have been primarily large coastal storms. The clippers that do move across the region, seem to consistently track south through the Catskills.

Hopefully this year I have a reason to actually use my snowshoes when taking a walk in the woods. Is it possible to go 4 years in a row without hitting 12" of snow (total depth!) at my stake?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Are they plastic just because they are cheap so you can trash em Or is there a benefit to the plastic? Do you use skins, regular bindings, boots? Metal edges? Assuming they have a really short radius?

I've skied the wildcat brooks with snow blades in late season stream blow out conditions and they can be very fun.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums
    They are very tough plastic with no metal edge to blow out. Stiff, fat, rockered, scaled, short. They have integrated inserts and you just bolt of your run-of-the-mill viole 3 pin, cable option if ya want but I never use it. Plastic tele boot. They climb well for scaled skis, and you can as herring bone really easy becase they are so short. Some folks put skins on them but I don't need 'em just climb slightly lower angle. The real suprise with these things is how well they ski. Not sure about radius, but they want to smear everything and carve long turns on hardpack. Laugh-out-loud fun. I think they go for 200 bucks, bindings 30 bucks, any old tele-boot laying around....Merry Christmas!
    $189.00
    http://marquette-backcountry.com/fre...ked-questions/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbyTX4EvvNA

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    They are very tough plastic with no metal edge to blow out. Stiff, fat, rockered, scaled, short. They have integrated inserts and you just bolt of your run-of-the-mill viole 3 pin, cable option if ya want but I never use it. Plastic tele boot. They climb well for scaled skis, and you can as herring bone really easy becase they are so short. Some folks put skins on them but I don't need 'em just climb slightly lower angle. The real suprise with these things is how well they ski. Not sure about radius, but they want to smear everything and carve long turns on hardpack. Laugh-out-loud fun. I think they go for 200 bucks, bindings 30 bucks, any old tele-boot laying around....Merry Christmas!
    $189.00
    I second this. I have been using a pair of these early and late season for several years now and they ARE laugh out loud fun especially in very thin or very weird snow conditions. I will never forget an april outing to MRG after the lifts had closed after a 2' + dump of heavy manky snow that was sketch on ptex skis and the marquettes ripped it up. I straightlined chute right over the cliffs without thinking about it. It was best run down chute and liftline I have ever had and folks on ptex skis were having a hard time staying on top of the snow. They are also pretty fun just beating around on mellow terrain instead of using snowshoes.

The only thing they don't handle well is ice. Early season variable snow is fun but avoid the ice flows.

http://www.adventureskier.com/2011/1...lloween-turns/

Whoa. The snow from the previous snowstorm hasn't completely melted here in Charm City and we are supposed to get 3-6" of wet white today. Sledding with the kiddos today and I may just skin up Oregon Ridge a few times tomorrow. Gotta break in the new boots further.

Lame trip report may follow. http://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewl...file.php?id=14

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    I may just skin up Oregon Ridge a few times tomorrow. Gotta break in the new boots further.

Lame trip report may follow. http://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewl...file.php?id=14
    Nice, git it!

There's also a sweet powerline around the Gunpowder that might be worth investigating (pm me if you want more details). When I was down for thanksgiving, I noticed that it was even mowed, so it shouldn't take much to make it go.

Woods could be sweet too, but I'd be terrified of snakes in there
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Its dumping here in Boston... I know it doesn't mean shit, but its a nice feeling.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

Quote Originally Posted by GoEhuge View Post
    Its dumping here in Boston... I know it doesn't mean shit, but its a nice feeling.
    I wonder how many coast dwellers will venture north this weekend with all the snow in their yards and get to the mountains and wonder where all the white stuff is at.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I wonder how many coast dwellers will venture north this weekend with all the snow in their yards and get to the mountains and wonder where all the white stuff is at.
    Looking like it could be pretty snowy up N this weekend.

It's too far out to hype - but damn this looks hawt.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Wildcat/6day/top

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    $189.00

Those seem like the best golf course assault weapon ever, I would totally rock a pair for low tide rippage around here. I would be all over those if I could mount regular dynafits on them but alas I don't tele. Maybe someday.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post

A little bony in spots on Shawnee this morning, but it didn't suck for before work.
    nice! that sunrise this AM was bitchin'

Halfway there right now and just dust.

Glad I stocked up on single malts and it's Worth Burger time...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    and it's Worthy Burger time...
    Shit, wish I was there instead of here at work! Have a hoppy one for me
    And yea, this "storm" has been a big disappointment (not that it was supposed to really pan out, but)... got about an angry inch in the east siders banana belt, if that.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Those seem like the best golf course assault weapon ever, I would totally rock a pair for low tide rippage around here. I would be all over those if I could mount regular dynafits on them but alas I don't tele. Maybe someday.
    Don't hafta tele em.

Rog

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    Shit, wish I was there instead of here at work! Have a hoppy one for me
    Won't be there till 2:30. Worthy Burger and Farmsted.....mmmmmmm!

Hope to god the we get an inch or two here today for fat bike freshies bliss tomorrow

Rog

Don't hafta tele em.

Rog

Really? Never heard of someone using them on anything other than tele. I imagine it's a lot to do with transitions but I don't want to be a guinea pig either...
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

but alas I don't tele.
    Neither do lots of the folks with tele skis
    You'd be fine, it's not too bad if ya know how to ski. Biggest issue would be having to get a new pair of boots
    go Go GO!

Really? Never heard of someone using them on anything other than tele. I imagine it's a lot to do with transitions but I don't want to be a guinea pig either...
    Tele is just a turn. You can easily ski parallel with pins and a teleboot. Just stand on the skis and make turns like you would fixed.

Rog

Tele is just a turn. You can easily ski parallel with pins and a teleboot. Just stand on the skis and make turns like you would fixed.

Rog
    True dat. The Marquettes don't actually ski tele all that well in my experience, and when there is only an inch of snow which is their ideal condition who wants to get their knee that close to the ground. Tele turns are for deep powder conditions.

just because they're plastic and phat doesn't mean you won't hit a rock and high side ruining your season. The ground is hard!

Tele...phucking plastic boots is not tele skiing. That sport died yrs ago.

Rog
    you're part of the problem

Every year I get that 2for1 voucher from Kmart.
    Every year I don't get to use it (not that it is the end of the World).
    I haven't been to Kmart in like 10 years.
    Tomorrow is a week day. Lift ticket are still early season rate of $69.
    I might be able to make it. Waiting to hear from someone.

If you are interested in sharing a 2for1 tomorrow, send me an PM.

If you're from Montreal and want to tag up for the drive, let me know.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Rog

I can't think about this right now hahaha... You guys are now supposed to talk me out of this at least until next season, alright?

PSA- Akokskis & all... Worthy Burger doesn't open till 3 Mon to Wed.

Guess who's got first chair, bitches!!!

What's the old saying? An inch of snow in Boston is worth $1million in Vermont?