Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheap European Ski Destination

A couple buddies and I have enrolled in a comparative European law course during our final semester. We will be spending march 8-16 in Trento, Italy. We are hoping to squeeze a few days days of skiing in on either end. Does anyone have some suggestions or know of any deals. We are looking to ski 4-5 days and as long as the snow is good, our standards for room and board are very low.

Thanks

There's a ton of cheap plaes all over.
    Here's a couple in CH even:

Nangijala Hostel, Disentis: http://www.nangijala.ch/en/hostel.html

Basecamp Andermatt: http://www.basecamp-andermatt.com/
    (ski with birdo if he's not swamped by those legions of lusty ladies with loose liederhosen)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

if someone wants cheap, he should definitely avoid switzerland. everything is expensive there. of course you might find cheap rooms (or not) but you will find even cheaper stuff everywhere else. and lifttickets, food and beers are VERY expensive in switzerland (at least compared to other alpine countries). staying in italy would be a better choice if you really want to go cheap...

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    if someone wants cheap, he should definitely avoid switzerland. everything is expensive there. of course you might find cheap rooms (or not) but you will find even cheaper stuff everywhere else. and lifttickets, food and beers are VERY expensive in switzerland (at least compared to other alpine countries). staying in italy would be a better choice if you really want to go cheap...

freak~[&]

If you're already going to be in Trent, that is probably the cheapest place to ski, too. The cost of the train ride alone to Switzerland would be equivalent to a few nights in a bed and breakfast in Canazei or Selva Negra. If you only have four days, why spend one of them traveling when there are hundreds of ski lifts within a commuter bus ride of Trento?

Italy is the best place to ski in the Alps if youre after counting the euros, Theres loads around Trento anyways
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like Italy may be the best option. Can anyone recommend specific resorts or places to stay? Also, what's the best way to buy passes?

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    if someone wants cheap, he should definitely avoid Europe. everything is expensive there.
    Fixed it!

At $1.37 for a euro nothing is cheap in Europe.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Expresso in Italy = 1E
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Fixed it!

#1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

This:
    If you're already going to be in Trent, that is probably the cheapest place to ski, too. The cost of the train ride alone to Switzerland would be equivalent to a few nights in a bed and breakfast in Canazei or Selva Negra. If you only have four days, why spend one of them traveling when there are hundreds of ski lifts within a commuter bus ride of Trento?
    I was in Trento in December, great town, and lots of great skiing nearby. I'd bookend your week with a stay in the mountains to the West, and then stay in the mountains to the East to finish your trip. Just pick a town by looking at google maps or whatever, and find a cheap hotel. I stayed at the Hotel America, in Trento, btw.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Fixed it!

This is stupid.
    For example even in Switzerland, one can find 4 days with a 4 days skipass including breakfast-buffet and dinner CHF 630.00 where 1 CHF == 1.11 USD.
    That's less than $175/day including everything ski to your room, main lift across street.

Where in America can one stay ski and eat slopeside for that?

freak is right, though, there's lots cheaper places in Austria and ITaly.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-23-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Expresso in Italy = 1E
    Seriously...euro based countries are not that expensive once you're over there. Lift tickets (especially multiday) are way cheaper. Food/Drinks with the exception of meat tends to be way cheaper as well.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

If you go to Canazei, ski/ bus to Lagazuoi and stay here for a night:

http://www.rifugiolagazuoi.com/indexUK.php

Best deck in the....... world? $28 Euro for a bunk bed. And some good off piste skiing as well.

Hugh Conway Guest
    in ski season, as a tourist, I din't think there was as much variation country to country as there was resort to resort and class of food/lodging. Not that Switzerlands "cheap" but Western Europe isn't "cheap" either. There's plenty of skiing near Trent - so save your transport money - but nothing (save touring) is going to be "cheap". I realize this is "get stupid people to do research for you" but you've an internet connection, go find it yourself.

Note: skiing isn't cheap. d'oh.

Been living in Europe for a little while now. Echo the above - everything in Europe is expensive with the Euro now at 1.37. I found Switzerland to be jaw-droppingly expensive. I paid $20 for a pizza I can get for 6 euros in Austria/Bavaria. Makes you sick to your stomach and somewhat ruined my CHE experience with my family. That being said - the skiing experience in the Alps is fantastic. I did the Sella Ronda last year with the family and found it to be fun, but quite flat. There does seem some good skiing in the Dolomites though. I found that the Dolomite experience was spectacular even though the skiing was OK. If you are in Trento it probably isn't worth it to drive to Austria. I think you are looking at 2+ hours to get to Stubai. Soelden, Zillertal a bit further. May want to leave it till as late as possible to go where the good snow is. I wouldn't be afraid of driving to St. Anton for four days of skiing, as long as the snow is good - I'm thinking a four hour drive if you have wheels. Gas at $8 / gallon may slow that down (even more in Italy, closer to $9-10 a gallon).

FUCKING-A. Alps suck, huh?
    http://www.rifugiolagazuoi.com/indexUK.php

Best deck in the....... world? $28 Euro for a bunk bed. And some good off piste skiing as well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I don't get how Americans can complain about the cost of skiing in Yurp.

Sure if one goes to some high end place and spend like an idiot, you'll spend a lot of money. But you can do that in America too. Try Aspen, Vail, Telluride, JH for starters.

But if one has an ounce of sense about it, one can find mindblowing skiing in Yurp for a lot less than in North America. And on the cheap with bread, cheese and store bought wine or beer, hostel bed and some schmartz, it's possible to ski runs of a lifetime for less than $100/day.

sochi should be pretty cheap in 130 days.
    b

Nothing in the Alps is truly 'cheap' so if you are in Trento for just a week it doesn't make sense to go too far from there. Cavalese, Passo Rolle, Valle di Fassa and Andalo/Molveno are just around the corner and easily doable as day trips from Trento since the main Dolomite destinations aren't cheap either.

If you don't want to stay in Trento at all then look for lodging around the entrance of Val Gardena or Valle di Fassa. In case conditions are bony then drive up towards Ponte di Legno/Passo Tonale and look for accommodation around there, the resort is glaciated high up.

try the icecream store Grom. Located directly at the main plaza at the big church. All icecreams are really, really good, but this one is outstanding. There are some nice student bars close by. Men, women, whatever you want. There's actually a gaybar quite close, too.

smaller areas usually are a bit cheaper then the bigger ones. do the online search and ask locals when you are there for some local advice (what an extraordinaire tip!!!)
    btw: the train/busses are quite cheap in italy compared to other countries. cafe, wine and pizza/pasta, too.

btw: why do you n-american guys all think europe is expensive... in my opinion i found canada, and the us too, more expensive. i needed double the money for food/drinks in canada then in europe. well, switzerland and norway are another story.

[

btw: why do you n-american guys all think europe is expensive... in my opinion i found canada, and the us too, more expensive. i needed double the money for food/drinks in canada then in europe. well, switzerland and norway are another story.[/QUOTE]

North America is cheaper then europe, but not when it comes to skiing and anything that has to do with it!
    Your best options are Tonale and Madonna di campiglio.

there seems to be some good skiing in the Dolomites??? Holy guacamole there sure is - everywhere you were skiing under a chunk of it doing the Sella Ronda http://www.nosiesta.com/tour-dei-dolomiti.html

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Been living in Europe for a little while now. Echo the above - everything in Europe is expensive with the Euro now at 1.37. I found Switzerland to be jaw-droppingly expensive. I paid $20 for a pizza I can get for 6 euros in Austria/Bavaria. Makes you sick to your stomach and somewhat ruined my CHE experience with my family. That being said - the skiing experience in the Alps is fantastic. I did the Sella Ronda last year with the family and found it to be fun, but quite flat. There does seem some good skiing in the Dolomites though. I found that the Dolomite experience was spectacular even though the skiing was OK. If you are in Trento it probably isn't worth it to drive to Austria. I think you are looking at 2+ hours to get to Stubai. Soelden, Zillertal a bit further. May want to leave it till as late as possible to go where the good snow is. I wouldn't be afraid of driving to St. Anton for four days of skiing, as long as the snow is good - I'm thinking a four hour drive if you have wheels. Gas at $8 / gallon may slow that down (even more in Italy, closer to $9-10 a gallon).
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    FUCKING-A. Alps suck, huh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images-2.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	143158  
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I don't get how Americans can complain about the cost of skiing in Yurp.

Sure if one goes to some high end place and spend like an idiot, you'll spend a lot of money. But you can do that in America too. Try Aspen, Vail, Telluride, JH for starters.

But if one has an ounce of sense about it, one can find mindblowing skiing in Yurp for a lot less than in North America. And on the cheap with bread, cheese and store bought wine or beer, hostel bed and some schmartz, it's possible to ski runs of a lifetime for less than $100/day.
    I'm with Buster and Marius on this.

We did a 3 week road trip in BC last year, and tried to be pretty frugal, but holy mackerel was it expensive: Lift passes, food, accommodation - phew! Petrol was cheap though.

2 years ago in the Alps (Morzine), we paid US$40 pr pers for half board (lots of Tartiflette!) and 100 Euro for 4 days' lift pass.

My Euro 0.02: France is cheaper for accommodation and more expensive eating out, Italy the opposite. Switzerland is expensive if you eat out, but listen to Buster and use your smarts, and you can do it on the semi cheap.
    Everywhere the supermarkets have incredible food and wine for very little.

Norway is just plain expensive - but beautiful.