Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    So, to be clear, your standard is that anything anyone does with under-priveleged kids has to either magically lift them from poverty, or it isn't worthwhile? Oh. Okay. I guess I should take back my money and download some Yanni on iTunes.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Yeah, Benny's right, if we can't suddenly and overwhelmingly "fix" poverty we should teach these kids to be resigned to their lower socioeconomic class status.

Even satirically I can't really go there.

Whe should we get kids, especially poor kids, outdoors, you ask? Because it is nearly impossible for someone to care about "nature" when they've never actually seen it. Because getting beyond one's own, personal perspective is both necessary to a functioning society, and much more likely to occur when someone can actually see different places and methods of living. Because we have an epidemic of obesity in this nation, and teaching kids to live an active lifestyle (even if they don't pursue the particular sport tuaght) is a great way to combat it. Because while skiing is not cheap, we are the richest nation in the history of the earth, and even kids raised in poverty can achieve a lifestyle in which skiing is possible, if they know what the fuck skiing is. Because life in a crappy, NYC neighborhood, with incarcerated parents, lousy schools, street crime and no resources can destroy hope, and taking a child from that environment to one with trees, and clear skies, and snow, and joy, even if it's only temporary is a good thing in and of itself, but can also rekindle hope. Because having kids from that environment spend time with young people who have gone to college, have learned to do hard things like paralell turns, have achieved some success and wnat to use it to give back is also a good thing, even if only temporary.

And because skiing is fucking awesome, or did spending too much time on an internet BB acting like a tough guy cause you to forget that SKIING IS FUCKING AWESOME! and should be shared.

I'll type slower.

As I said, this would be a much more effective program, and more efficient use of charity dollars, if poor kids who live somewhat near ski hills were allowed to participate in this. Much greater chance that some will become regular skiers, and therefore, be local ski ambassadors and maybe figure out how to get some of their less advantaged friends and relatives on the slopes. Again, as I said, there's plenty of poor people out there in the country. Maybe a few will like it so much that they find a career in the industry. You know, it's sorta, ahem, win win all around, because the industry has some incentive to participate. It's called community relations.

Maybe 1 out of 100 of those ghetto kids will ever return to a ski slope. Sorry.

Oh I understand your point of view. It isn't any paucity of understanding that drives my response. Where do you find any indication that the mission of this program is to create lifelong skiers? You keep coming back to this assumption and, moreover, were we to apply your eradication of poverty standard to your suggested alternative, I am not sure it would pass muster. Here is the program mission:

"Our mission is to give children in NYC the opportunity to participate in winter action sports, specifically skiing and snowboarding, while promoting comradeship and personal growth."

"...children in NYC" is the target audience for this program. Perhaps another program should do as you suggest. THIS program does not. That is their option and choice, and does not diminish its value in my view. If you don't find it to be valueable, that is certainly your right, but I am not sure why you seem to feel that it is your role to assess their efficiency for others.

On the other hand, when we consider that, in marketing, no publicity is bad publicity, the continued bumping of the thread while we trade meaningless banter and false controversy is probably, ultimately going to result in more and better exposure for the charity. So let's keep it going! How about this?: I know you are but what am I?! INFINITY!!!!

:-)
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Doubtful. This charity won't be around in five years, along with the MRI, since they really haven't proved to me that they can do anything but talk big. Maybe that Maine mountain will come to something before the trust fund money runs out. I don't really see the money rolling in, last I checked.

I understand your white guilt. I used to have it in spades. But actual harm can come from writing those checks. Effective charity requires hard work, compassion, and stategies, all under the radar most of the time. Good luck.

You're right. I don't know anything about any of those things. Definitely don't know anything about charity scams, and certainly have no clue when it comes to issues of poverty and race. You called it spot on.

If they wanted to send them to a summer canoe camp would you still be so bitter about it?...yet canoeing is equally as useful a skill for urban youth.

Programs like is are more about the escape, the exposure and the experience, along with a healthy dose of positive role modeling and socialization. The setting doesn't really matter, they could be skiing, climbing, cycling, fishing or playing soccer....it doesn't matter.

It sounds like you maybe projecting your own issues about your family and socioeconomic status.... then again maybe not.

Note: Resorts are for the white upper middle class, the mountains are for everyone else.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Yeah.

90% of people I've met around ski hills are far from "positive role models". Hey, love most of them, but, you'll be turning these kids into young alcoholics with a slight drug problem and bad posture.

And, now that you bring it up, canoe trips are even more stupid. At least skiing is AWESOME!

Don't forget the stink. Nobody smells good at ski hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah.

90% of people I've met around ski hills are far from "positive role models". Hey, love most of them, but, you'll be turning these kids into young alcoholics with a slight drug problem and bad posture.

And, now that you bring it up, canoe trips are even more stupid. At least skiing is AWESOME!
    I worked with "Troubled Youth" at an inpatient drug/alcohol rehab center for a few weeks.... the kids (14-16) were telling stories about getting busted with a gram or two and 'reflecting' on the negative consequences of skipping school and having sex ...... That line ow work was not for me. I kept thinking, "oh ya? so What? did that when I was your age...shit I did that last night"

- edited - duplicate post.
    Last edited by cmcrawfo; 10-29-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    - edited - duplicate post.
    What? You did it TWICE last night? Way to go, man!

I took a refugee from Somalia to fly fishing camp this summer. He's been in the US for a few years. Over the course of th eweek I realized he will never fly fish again, but since he arrived in the US 3 or 4 years ago, he had never left the city of Boise. Here he is lviing in Idaho of all places, and has never been to the mountains. I sure didn't turn him into a fly fisher, but he had a blast, he spent a week in the mountains, and I'm absolutely positive he'll be back in the mountains as soon as he is able. Yeah, maybe it will be with a 12-pack and some hot chick, but he'll know what's out there, and he'll seek it out.

Heh. I was just thinking how this calls for a Chapelle Show skit. So, Tyrone, how was your weekend with the white people?

Now this....^^^^^^ .... is funny, and fair. Well played. But it doesn't change my thinking. These programs are learning experiences for all involved, and I would wager the folks who put it on learn as much if not more from their participants than they show them. And I would expect they would agree.
    Last edited by weasel1; 10-29-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Heh.

Did a week in Utah when that organisation came to town at the same time. Can you imagine, Utah?!

The women were hot.

my charitable contributions towards others with regard to nature tends to be spontaneous.
    is giving a broke hippy a ride up the hill to ski, charity or friendly?
    b

Well, flowing alpy, when the day is done he'll still be a broke hippy, it's not like the ride you gave him is going to somehow motivate him to start a career, of any kind, much less in the ski industry. He needs to just get used to being a dirty, broke hippy in the city, rather than trying to learn how to bum rides up ski hills. I predict in 5 years, he'll still be bumming rides, and his base layers are going to smell even worse.

No way, dude. In a year or two, grandad will lose his patience and cut the funds off, forcing him to come back east and take a position at the firm. After a few years of trading on insider info, he'll be promoted to VP and marry Morgan from his old prep school days and build a nice little thing in Greenwich and spawn a girl and a boy. They'll be so happy and rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Well, flowing alpy, when the day is done he'll still be a broke hippy, it's not like the ride you gave him is going to somehow motivate him to start a career, of any kind, much less in the ski industry. He needs to just get used to being a dirty, broke hippy in the city, rather than trying to learn how to bum rides up ski hills. I predict in 5 years, he'll still be bumming rides, and his base layers are going to smell even worse.
    In 2002 I got a ride from Canmore to Golden....changed my life.

I think this is a great idea, and I fully support it. As a recent transplant to NYC, I often find myself thinking about how different my life would have been had I not grown up with immediate access to the outdoors. I think any program that provides access to the outdoors for young people is a good thing. Benny Profane- I have to disagree with you on your last comment. I don't think it's as much about escaping poverty, as it is providing perspective. If you've spent your whole life in an urban environment, you're missing out of some of the most beautiful experiences the world has to offer. Gaining exposure to the outdoors gives people an appreciation and perspective for the world that they potentially carry with them for their entire lives.

I think it would also be a great thing if you could get used gear for these kids to own- that way they wouldn't finish the season and have to figure out what to do for next. Are you guys formed as a not-for-profit yet? If you need pro-bono legal services, there are several options in NYC for this type of project. Something worth considering.

Grandad call you back to the firm?

ha...nope, just paying my student loans for a year or so. Nice one though.

Also- does anyone know what happened to that project run by Sugarbush to open a ski hill in Astoria park? That would be a great resource to have, as well.

ThePeaksProject, PM me. I'm close to Camelback and it's management and would love to coordinate an intro so you can obtain discounts on rentals and passes. I'll also buy the 12 kids lunch for 6 weekends at Camelback but only if I can pay the mountain directly or meet you at lunch in the lodge.

If you prove you're legit I'll support the cause and can help you gain significant support for your cause.

Two requirements: No Yankees hats on the slopes, they must wear helmets. And if I ever become incarcerated you gotta pay for my two kids to ski until I'm released.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".