Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rampage

Rampage

The most insane shit I have ever seen done to a mountain bike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Sequenc...Flip-2013.html

Completely off the hook.

Plus, check out McGarry's 73 foot canyon gap backflip. Not posted on PB yet.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Shame we didn't get to see those second runs. Amazing nonetheless! The suspense for Zink's backflip gave me some serious butterflies.

Zink's flip was nuts. I wish he'd just pulled a trick at the bottom to get the win. Seems like going balls to the walls huge is a prerequisite for winning now. TMac and Lacondeguy also had crazy runs. I don't know why they didn't postpone the rest of the finals until today. Would love to see what the rest of the guys could've done in calmer winds.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Being there in person... Zink's flip was amazing; BUT, He kept his tires on the ground the rest of the time. He had only one air above the icon sender and didn't whip or anything. He rolled the lip and off down the side of the canyon after. Gnarly flip no doubt; but, definitely should have scored much lower.

Judging criteria:
    1) Fluidity and Style
    2) Air and Amplitude
    3) Tricks
    4) Line Choice

1) Cam had almost no style because he threw no tricks before or after the flip on an otherwise weak line.
    2) Cam had 0 air and amplitude other than the flip.
    3) Cam did not do any other trick besides the flip.
    4) Already covered in 1)... Cam road LITERALLY the weakest line in the entire contest. Other riders had already spun, flipped, tail whipped and dropped large cliffs and rowdy steeps before getting to the same location (icon sender) and then threw down major airs through and on top of the gully.

Rampage is not a best trick event. Cam's flip was definitely in the running. Perhaps only McGary's flip over the canyon gap was equal.

Cam could have collected best trick from the event; but, others who risked runs by airing multiple times before and after the icon area had more of 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the judging criteria than Cam by far. Andrew L. threw down an amazingly rowdy and technical line that had flips, drops, everything including a one handed superman! And the whole thing was super fluid, fast and linked. Andrew got hosed for sure.

T-Mac's line was super raw and high consequence with many huge airs and drops including a back flip across a rocky top to blind landing (and it was huge) that looked scarier than mount moridor from Lord of the Rings immediately followed by one of the bigger drops on the course.

Cam is sick; but, his and kyle's judging rewarded weaker "one trick wonder" lines while others took big risks all the way down the course. Seeing what happened, maybe Semanuk will just screw all the super tricky impossible lines he's working on and just throw something spinny/flippy over the icon for the win next year... I hope not.

In summery, Cam's flip was unreal; but, overall his run was much less exciting than everyone else's. And I don't care what all you dentists on this site think. I talked face to face with Darren Berrecloth mid-comp and lets just say he gave mad props to the trick; but, would have scored the run differently. His opinion holds a lot more water than anyone here who disagrees.

edit to add: McGarry for the real win. a no hander suicide off the icon vs a flip over the (70+?) canyon gap that most people avoid in the past comps... Kyle is also an unreal rider and I can't imagine pulling a nohander off the icon; but, weak above the icon and only one air after that someone else flipped. McGary's line had three flips... one of them possibly equaling or besting Zink's flip.

Quote Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post

In summery, Cam's flip was unreal; but, overall his run was much less exciting than everyone else's. And I don't care what all you dentists on this site think. I talked face to face with Darren Berrecloth mid-comp and lets just say he gave mad props to the trick; but, would have scored the run differently. His opinion holds a lot more water than anyone here who disagrees.
    You mad bro?

There's not a single person in this thread making the argument you seem to be refuting.

Agree on McGarry's run. That should have been a winner.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

No, just prepping for possible Pinkbike style retaliation with a little bit of failed TGR dentists humor. It was more of, if you are going to disagree... I'm still sticking to my initial opinion that Berrecloth also shared. And the name drop was only to validate my opinion since I am not a rampage judge.

Honestly the comp was so much fun to see and the outcome doesn't change what went down. Rampage is a such a cool event.

I do, however, feel bad for T Mac and Andrew L. and others who threw down COMPLETE lines full of crazy instead of just one crazy and didn't get rewarded.

McGarry should have won. TMac #2. Between Strait and Andreu, it's a tough call.

Zink's flip was absurd, but he should be way down the rankings. Would've like to have seen a 2nd run from him though. I bet it would have been absurder.

Live feed coverage on Tmac's bigger midline drop kind of sucked so I'd been looking for a better shot of it.

Not small

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

After seeing Zink's run I totally agree with powder4breakfast... Other than the super rad backflip it was the driest run of the day.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe...aign=spotlight

Yeah, my favorite runs were TMac's, Lecondeguy's and McGary's. Strait's run was great, moreso for the speed and smoothness on the top section than anything else IMO.

Suicide no-hander almost seems like it would be more difficult than a backflip on the Sender, but I have zero frame of reference there.

Graham Agassiz' 360s were unreal. It's really too bad he couldn't string a full run together without crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Suicide no-hander almost seems like it would be more difficult than a backflip on the Sender, but I have zero frame of reference there.
    Oh god no.

Not even the same universe.

Dispite if the placing is deserved, Zink had a good strategy that paid off. Reminds me of dumont throwing the superman late front that won him the viewer vote big air in the xgames five or so years ago.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Being there in person... Zink's flip was amazing; BUT, He kept his tires on the ground the rest of the time. He had only one air above the icon sender and didn't whip or anything. He rolled the lip and off down the side of the canyon after. Gnarly flip no doubt; but, definitely should have scored much lower.

Judging criteria:
    1) Fluidity and Style
    2) Air and Amplitude
    3) Tricks
    4) Line Choice

1) Cam had almost no style because he threw no tricks before or after the flip on an otherwise weak line.
    2) Cam had 0 air and amplitude other than the flip.
    3) Cam did not do any other trick besides the flip.
    4) Already covered in 1)... Cam road LITERALLY the weakest line in the entire contest. Other riders had already spun, flipped, tail whipped and dropped large cliffs and rowdy steeps before getting to the same location (icon sender) and then threw down major airs through and on top of the gully.

Rampage is not a best trick event. Cam's flip was definitely in the running. Perhaps only McGary's flip over the canyon gap was equal.

Cam could have collected best trick from the event; but, others who risked runs by airing multiple times before and after the icon area had more of 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the judging criteria than Cam by far. Andrew L. threw down an amazingly rowdy and technical line that had flips, drops, everything including a one handed superman! And the whole thing was super fluid, fast and linked. Andrew got hosed for sure.

T-Mac's line was super raw and high consequence with many huge airs and drops including a back flip across a rocky top to blind landing (and it was huge) that looked scarier than mount moridor from Lord of the Rings immediately followed by one of the bigger drops on the course.

Cam is sick; but, his and kyle's judging rewarded weaker "one trick wonder" lines while others took big risks all the way down the course. Seeing what happened, maybe Semanuk will just screw all the super tricky impossible lines he's working on and just throw something spinny/flippy over the icon for the win next year... I hope not.

edit to add: McGarry for the real win. a no hander suicide off the icon vs a flip over the (70+?) canyon gap that most people avoid in the past comps... Kyle is also an unreal rider and I can't imagine pulling a nohander off the icon; but, weak above the icon and only one air after that someone else flipped. McGary's line had three flips... one of them possibly equaling or besting Zink's flip.

Agree with your points. Awesome comp but I don't think they are really sticking to scoring according to their criteria in some cases, mostly as it relates to the oakley sender. Seems like there is no way the judges will let you win without hitting it at this venue and that bothers me. Strait's run was pretty damn amazing, tough line up top and he flowed it well, tricked the biggest hit and hit the massive table on the bottom. Lacondeguy's was rad but keep in mind he had to drop the the score from the run with the one hander superman and fell back on the first run score where he still railed everything but held back on the tricks a bit. Nothing against Zink as he obviously planned to get the trick down run #1 and then really lay it down on run #2. Scored higher than it should have for all the points you mentioned but not his fault. McGarrys run was pretty incredible, big tricks and the only fault I can see (outside of the fact that I think the traverse getting over to the canyon gap is an instant score killer with judges) is that he got off line a little at the bottom after his last flip. I still think T Mac was my favorite run of the day. I just love the natural terrain stuff and creativity.

As much as I like the current venue and the every year setup, I think maybe it's time to move sites and maybe go back to every other year just so a site doesn't get used up so quickly. I think Sorge mentioned it during the wind delay that once you get accustomed to a site in year one the only thing to do in subsequent years is to haul in wood, make things bigger, and really push the tricking side of things rather than creativity and difficulty of lines. I'd love to see them go into a completely untouched venue with no build crew and tell them they have a week to create their lines with normal trail tools. No more wood and no more machine built run ins and landings. I think it could bring back much of what made Rampage so amazing in the first place and also will cut back on the current trend of bigger, bigger, bigger that is going to get someone killed one of these years. I enjoyed watching but it's getting to be more and more of a colosseum situation where there's no way a few people aren't coming away with significant and potentially life altering injuries and we're just cheering for more. I can think of about 5 crashes I saw this year where you almost have to say they were lucky to only have broke a femur or badly injured their back. Doesn't quite feel right to me.

just to clarify. I was wrong in calling Kyle's run above the sender weak (just like judging real time). Watching the replay over, he rode the line with more speed and fluidity than Cam. He took airs and hit top to bottom. He deserved to be one of the top riders.

That said, after watching Zink's run again, I feel just as strongly as I did in person that his run was judged way too high.

The crazy thing is had Gram, Semanuk and others cleaned their whole lines... it would be even harder to say who deserved what.

McGazza got robbed.

Stoked on his 2nd place, but his run was the winning run.

Some good new angles of some of the lines.

Tmac's line really was as rowdy as everyone was saying it was.

Strait, Tmac and lacondeguy definitely get the 'hauling ass down the mountain' award.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Some good new angles of some of the lines.

Tmac's line really was as rowdy as everyone was saying it was.

Strait, Tmac and lacondeguy definitely get the 'hauling ass down the mountain' award.

Thanks for posting that up.

I thought TMacs second run was the best there, super exposed, throwing a backflip on the first part of a huge double is just insane.

I think its mike hopkins at 1:42 that cases the drop, that looked nasty.

I might be one of the few who thinks McGarry didn't deserve the win. The top portion of his run was very tame compared to other riders as he pretty much stuck to the ridgeline with one or two little drops that had very little exposure (relatively speaking). I agree that too much emphasis was put on going HUGE
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

After viewing clips from home, I think T Mac had had the rowdiest and biggest built line. The top section was raw like the first rampages. The crux of his line included having to clean back to back to back airs with the third being one of the biggest moves in the competition. first drop led into a huge air over a ridge with no safe zone for coming up short into a blind landing/inrun for the monster (no wood/hand built) drop that may have equaled the icon sender in size.

Crazy to see a run like that and realize that even if his score from run two counted... he still would not have stood on the podium. Who knows what Zink or others would have added to their lines. Apparently C Mac also had planned on flipping the canyon gap on his second run.

Two people broke femurs this year (one in practice) and two people were helicoptered off site on backboards during the comp. How far can this sport be pushed? Absolutely unreal...

This was supposedly Red Bull's last year on the lease of that site. Anyone have insider info on the future?

With the ability to re-watch parts of the competition, I now would have to say T Mac and Andrew L. threw down the two most entertaining runs(in my opinion). Come December 21st, make sure not to miss their second runs.

edit:
    Watch at .50 seconds. Van Dine sends a huge air to flat. This was the real memory from day one for me. So big to go all the way to flat. I think Chuby hit this air later and landed way up top while still getting big hang time.
    http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stori...ier-highlights
    Last edited by powder4breakfast; 10-17-2013 at 03:16 PM.

After viewing clips from home, I think T Mac had had the rowdiest and biggest built line. The top section was raw like the first rampages. The crux of his line included having to clean back to back to back airs with the third being one of the biggest moves in the competition. first drop led into a huge air over a ridge with no safe zone for coming up short into a blind landing/inrun for the monster (no wood/hand built) drop that may have equaled the icon sender in size.

Crazy to see a run like that and realize that even if his score from run two counted... he still would not have stood on the podium. Who knows what Zink or others would have added to their lines. Apparently C Mac also had planned on flipping the canyon gap on his second run.

Two people broke femurs this year (one in practice) and two people were helicoptered off site on backboards during the comp. How far can this sport be pushed? Absolutely unreal...

This was supposedly Red Bull's last year on the lease of that site. Anyone have insider info on the future?

With the ability to re-watch parts of the competition, I now would have to say T Mac and Andrew L. threw down the two most entertaining runs(in my opinion). Come December 21st, make sure not to miss their second runs.

edit:
    Watch at .50 seconds. Van Dine sends a huge air to flat. This was the real memory from day one for me. So big to go all the way to flat. I think Chuby hit this air later and landed way up top while still getting big hang time.
    I agree but... this is where you start getting into the grey area with extreme sports. With limits constantly being pushed people are going to get hurt, we know it and they know it. If you ask the athletes, they will tell you they understand the risks 100%. Isn't it the same with big mountain and free skiing?

I do think there's a limit though, it's just hard to define it.

People have died in bike races.

No one has died in a slopestyle/rampage event.

How long are we going to let this crazy behavior in racing go on? When's the madness going to stop!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    People have died in bike races.

No one has died in a slopestyle/rampage event.

How long are we going to let this crazy behavior in racing go on? When's the madness going to stop!!!???
    ^this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._during_a_race

fascinatingly macabre

... and my roadie colleagues wonder why I will not ride on the road, particularly in SLC, in the land of oblivious drivers.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Shit, I was just talking about mountainbiking, not that asphalt mess. That's a whole nuthir ball game.

And that list is only pros. I feel like I'm more likely to get injured in a crash on the MTB, but more likely to get killed on the road. I occasionally read the bikinginla blog and it's constant posts about people getting killed or seriously injured.

Still, it's only a matter of time before someone dies at one of these things. A quick google search didn't turn up a lot of statistics for mtb racing or just regular mtb riding.