Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    A typical wallwart AC adapter might put out 12VDC at 1-2 A, so 12-24 W, several times the power available from USB. DasBlunt has the charger, he could tell us the rating printed on it. I haven't seen one of these things, but it must have a lithium battery of order a laptop battery or bigger, not like the smaller batteries on ipads, phones, GPS that are typically charged over USB.

In, 100-240V - 50-60Hz 620mA

out 24V=/1,25A

I would compare the battery size to a old Dell "extended" size battery, except a different shape. About the size/shape of a sandwich, much thicker.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    In, 100-240V - 50-60Hz 620mA

out 24V=/1,25A

I would compare the battery size to a old Dell "extended" size battery, except a different shape. About the size/shape of a sandwich, much thicker.
    Thanks, so the wallwart outputs 30W and it's rated at 6 hours to charge, thus total capacity ~ 180 Watt-hours or 650 kiloJoules. Would take a 40 hours over USB at max output so that seems like a non-starter. A typical laptop battery might be 60-100 Watt-hours, so it's similar to an extended battery as you mention.

The fact that it is 24V rather than 12V could make it harder to rig up an alternate charging system, but possibly (a) it was easier to design the motor to run off the higher voltage, and/or (b) BD doesn't want people casually screwing around with the charging system.

Looked at the battery control unit again, there is a 6 cell above a very large, like a circuit box. Battery size is still what I described, control unit is an additional part.
    Terje was right.

Could you take a picture? I'm curious about these, but am unlikely to play with one anytime soon.

On a not very related note, abs is recalling all packs w/ steel cartridge and twin airbags sold in Europe between 1996 and december 2014. Oops...?

http://www.abs-airbag.com/en/recall
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Wow I didn't know the packs had been around that long.... thanks marketing machine from a few years ago!

Dog ate the cord on my charger.....ugh...... pack holding up great in these super low temps..
    Terje was right.

BD lists the Pilot 11 for a wallet scorching $1,250. My impression was you could get an BCA pack for about half that. Am I smokin' crack?

Quote Originally Posted by nosliwm View Post
    BD lists the Pilot 11 for a wallet scorching $1,250. My impression was you could get an BCA pack for about half that. Am I smokin' crack?
    BCA packs are 1/3rd that price on SAC right now
    Live

Possible issue ?

Secondhand story. I will be interested to see if it officially surfaces or turns out to be an issue with the BD bags.

A few weeks ago 2 guys swept in a not-large avy near where I ski; one had a BD airbag. He fell on his back with the pack compressed between his body and the snow. He activated the jet, but it could not get air. Bag did not inflate.

Neither guy injured or fully buried.

Has this story popped up in any other forums or anywhere ? I have looked around a bit to see if it has cropped up but have not seen anything.
    "Sometimes nuthin' is a real cool hand"

^^^not surprised to hear that. I thought they would have a design with at least two fans incase one got blocked with snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by cultvo View Post
    Secondhand story. I will be interested to see if it officially surfaces or turns out to be an issue with the BD bags.

A few weeks ago 2 guys swept in a not-large avy near where I ski; one had a BD airbag. He fell on his back with the pack compressed between his body and the snow. He activated the jet, but it could not get air. Bag did not inflate.

Neither guy injured or fully buried.

Has this story popped up in any other forums or anywhere ? I have looked around a bit to see if it has cropped up but have not seen anything.
    My guess is that the "majority" of activations would happen before the skier goes down, doesnt mean it shouldnt inflate anyway....

guess thats the big argument...mechanical (cylinder) or electrical (fan). Pretty sure when you pull the trigger of a cylinder bag its going to inflate.

BD has made travel more convenient with JetForce and also made for multiple use, or "pulls" for any given circumstance. If it doesnt inflate with a skier on their back in a slide, then its a pretty big fail IMHO.

I don't understand this supposed mode of failure?

Both a fan and canister system need access to ambient air to inflate the bag. Most of canister systems air comes from ambient air via the venturi valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Most of canister systems air comes from ambient air via the venturi valve.
    Interesting, know anyplace with info to back this up?
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

Evidently the guy involved is communicating with BD about it. It happened in/near Verbier in mid January. I chatted with a guy while traversing this week (who wasn't there for the incident) who knows the two involved. I guess that still makes it a secondhand story at this point. Allegedly, BD 's initial response was lukewarm/somewhat dismissive.
    "Sometimes nuthin' is a real cool hand"

Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    Interesting, know anyplace with info to back this up?
    Because of this new thing called physics?

Just google avalanche airbag venturi valve if you don't believe me.

https://www.google.ch/webhp?sourceid...ve%20avalanche
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Another easy way to check that whole venturi valve thing is take the cylinder takes its volume times it by bar and see how close that is to the 150odd liters that the inflated bag has. Now I could be wrong but I did something similar with my snowpulse a couple years ago and cant remember exactly how much ambient air is used but its quite a bit.

This is America, we don't have that here.

The BD issue seems odd; aren't those things supposed to continuously keep the bag inflated for a couple minutes, even if the bag has a tear in it? I could see how a blockage might slow the inflation of the bag, but unless you put a completely airtight seal on the intake, it seems unlikely that the bag wouldn't inflate at all (unless there was some other failure elsewhere in the system).

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The BD issue seems odd; aren't those things supposed to continuously keep the bag inflated for a couple minutes, even if the bag has a tear in it? I could see how a blockage might slow the inflation of the bag, but unless you put a completely airtight seal on the intake, it seems unlikely that the bag wouldn't inflate at all (unless there was some other failure elsewhere in the system).
    Played with a jet force pack a bit. I agree that it would take a very tight seal and no movement by the skier to keep the bag from inflating. We did have one non-inflate when someone didn't pack/zip the bag properly. The bag started to come out one side but couldn't release the zipper to inflate completely. Definitely user error in that case.

Just google avalanche airbag venturi valve if you don't believe me.

https://www.google.ch/webhp?sourceid...ve%20avalanche
    Well i'll be. Ya learn somethin new everyday, these new physics are great!
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    Well i'll be. Ya learn somethin new everyday, these new physics are great!
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If it inflates with pow, will it still float?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    If it inflates with pow, will it still float?
    Brazil nuts aren't made of air, so... yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

So no further evidence of the Verbier blockage issue?

Haven't played with one in person, but folks at the outdoor retailer show said it seemed pretty solid. Still, tough mentally to get over the battery.

I think they are the way to go!