Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bluehouse (not just another) Ski Design Contest

This isn't the typical topsheet design contest. It's a chance for anyone to claim a custom pair.

Rules are here: http://bluehouseskis.com/TGR-Ski-Design-Contest/

Design Form here: http://bluehouseskis.com/TGR-Entry-Form/

More details will follow. Enjoy!

Mine's the Dopamine. Manly type of ski. Please vote for it so I can avoid another pair of custom skis..

"reputable mags" hmmm. Can I combine posts from the various sock puppets I've run?

What do sock puppets do to ones reputation for repute?

The Functor

Done; but I clicked the 'send form' button at the bottom before I copied it to paste in all my e-glory here.
    Give Kendall my best.

(from wiki : )
    Examples[edit]

Diagram: For categories C and J, a diagram of type J in C is a covariant functor .

(Category theoretical) presheaf: For categories C and J, a J-presheaf on C is a contravariant functor .

Presheaves: If X is a topological space, then the open sets in X form a partially ordered set Open(X) under inclusion. Like every partially ordered set, Open(X) forms a small category by adding a single arrow U → V if and only if . Contravariant functors on Open(X) are called presheaves on X. For instance, by assigning to every open set U the associative algebra of real-valued continuous functions on U, one obtains a presheaf of algebras on X.

Constant functor: The functor C → D which maps every object of C to a fixed object X in D and every morphism in C to the identity morphism on X. Such a functor is called a constant or selection functor.

Endofunctor: A functor that maps a category to itself.

Identity functor in category C, written 1C or idC, maps an object to itself and a morphism to itself. Identity functor is an endofunctor.

Diagonal functor: The diagonal functor is defined as the functor from D to the functor category DC which sends each object in D to the constant functor at that object.

Limit functor: For a fixed index category J, if every functor J→C has a limit (for instance if C is complete), then the limit functor CJ→C assigns to each functor its limit. The existence of this functor can be proved by realizing that it is the right-adjoint to the diagonal functor and invoking the Freyd adjoint functor theorem. This requires a suitable version of the axiom of choice. Similar remarks apply to the colimit functor (which is covariant).

Power sets: The power set functor P : Set → Set maps each set to its power set and each function to the map which sends to its image . One can also consider the contravariant power set functor which sends to the map which sends to its inverse image

Dual vector space: The map which assigns to every vector space its dual space and to every linear map its dual or transpose is a contravariant functor from the category of all vector spaces over a fixed field to itself.

Fundamental group: Consider the category of pointed topological spaces, i.e. topological spaces with distinguished points. The objects are pairs (X, x0), where X is a topological space and x0 is a point in X. A morphism from (X, x0) to (Y, y0) is given by a continuous map f : X → Y with f(x0) = y0.

To every topological space X with distinguished point x0, one can define the fundamental group based at x0, denoted π1(X, x0). This is the group of homotopy classes of loops based at x0. If f : X → Y morphism of pointed spaces, then every loop in X with base point x0 can be composed with f to yield a loop in Y with base point y0. This operation is compatible with the homotopy equivalence relation and the composition of loops, and we get a group homomorphism from π(X, x0) to π(Y, y0). We thus obtain a functor from the category of pointed topological spaces to the category of groups.

In the category of topological spaces (without distinguished point), one considers homotopy classes of generic curves, but they cannot be composed unless they share an endpoint. Thus one has the fundamental groupoid instead of the fundamental group, and this construction is functorial.

Algebra of continuous functions: a contravariant functor from the category of topological spaces (with continuous maps as morphisms) to the category of real associative algebras is given by assigning to every topological space X the algebra C(X) of all real-valued continuous functions on that space. Every continuous map f : X → Y induces an algebra homomorphism C(f) : C(Y) → C(X) by the rule C(f)(φ) = φ o f for every φ in C(Y).

Tangent and cotangent bundles: The map which sends every differentiable manifold to its tangent bundle and every smooth map to its derivative is a covariant functor from the category of differentiable manifolds to the category of vector bundles. Likewise, the map which sends every differentiable manifold to its cotangent bundle and every smooth map to its pullback is a contravariant functor.

Doing these constructions pointwise gives covariant and contravariant functors from the category of pointed differentiable manifolds to the category of real vector spaces.

Group actions/representations: Every group G can be considered as a category with a single object whose morphisms are the elements of G. A functor from G to Set is then nothing but a group action of G on a particular set, i.e. a G-set. Likewise, a functor from G to the category of vector spaces, VectK, is a linear representation of G. In general, a functor G → C can be considered as an "action" of G on an object in the category C. If C is a group, then this action is a group homomorphism.

Lie algebras: Assigning to every real (complex) Lie group its real (complex) Lie algebra defines a functor.

Tensor products: If C denotes the category of vector spaces over a fixed field, with linear maps as morphisms, then the tensor product defines a functor C × C → C which is covariant in both arguments.[6]

Forgetful functors: The functor U : Grp → Set which maps a group to its underlying set and a group homomorphism to its underlying function of sets is a functor.[7] Functors like these, which "forget" some structure, are termed forgetful functors. Another example is the functor Rng → Ab which maps a ring to its underlying additive abelian group. Morphisms in Rng (ring homomorphisms) become morphisms in Ab (abelian group homomorphisms).

Free functors: Going in the opposite direction of forgetful functors are free functors. The free functor F : Set → Grp sends every set X to the free group generated by X. Functions get mapped to group homomorphisms between free groups. Free constructions exist for many categories based on structured sets. See free object.

Homomorphism groups: To every pair A, B of abelian groups one can assign the abelian group Hom(A,B) consisting of all group homomorphisms from A to B. This is a functor which is contravariant in the first and covariant in the second argument, i.e. it is a functor Abop × Ab → Ab (where Ab denotes the category of abelian groups with group homomorphisms). If f : A1 → A2 and g : B1 → B2 are morphisms in Ab, then the group homomorphism Hom(f,g) : Hom(A2,B1) → Hom(A1,B2) is given by φ ↦ g o φ o f. See Hom functor.

Representable functors: We can generalize the previous example to any category C. To every pair X, Y of objects in C one can assign the set Hom(X,Y) of morphisms from X to Y. This defines a functor to Set which is contravariant in the first argument and covariant in the second, i.e. it is a functor Cop × C → Set. If f : X1 → X2 and g : Y1 → Y2 are morphisms in C, then the group homomorphism Hom(f,g) : Hom(X2,Y1) → Hom(X1,Y2) is given by φ ↦ g o φ o f.

Functors like these are called representable functors. An important goal in many settings is to determine whether a given functor is representable.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

But how will they do in the chunder and east coast harpack?

From the contest page:
    Voters with more than 1 voting right can split their votes across multiple submissions or choose to put multiple votes on 1 submission.
    To me this indicates that socks can be combined to take over the world.

I wonder how many SLC mags will win? But still, $300 for a custom ski -- whoohoo!
    Last edited by hortence; 10-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Chains,
    My Functors got me wrapped up in chains
    And they ain't the kind
    That you can ski e e e
    Oh no these chains are chains of Functors of Cohomology
    Yeah!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Stoked you guys are doing this and love the mag focused idea for the contest. My only concern is the initial winnowing of designs only by SLC mags. While I lived in UT for years and love the skiing there, the needs/wants of SLC skiers is different than a large proportion of skiers elsewhere. I'm in the PNW and the ski I would design for where I ski is different than the one I would design if I lived in SLC. Probably overthinking it, but just something I thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Cohomology
    Yeah!

Leave the salmon alone! THEY'RE JUST FISH!!!

But you just want more!!!

Looks like some good designs so far. Mine is in and it looks like Hortence and I think alike.

Can one of your sock puppets vouch for you? If they can, you're good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first-2-submissions.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	142505

First 2 submissions sketched up for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehouse View Post

Thats cool! Thanks for sketching up the "Omega Man".

Cool to see how this progresses.

On the Sabotage, I was inspired by the Beastie Boys song as it is always a go to song for me. Plus in the video they are jumping all over the place and generally look like they are having a good time. That is what I'm striving for every day when I head out to the mountain and what the ski is intended to do.

Sweet!That's more or less how I pictured the Dopamine. Sad the rc112 went away?Vote for this.

that dopamine looks like a ski i'd want to ride

Saturday bump Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1381596501.159366.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	142537
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    Saturday bump Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1381596501.159366.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	142537
    Man, I love those graphics. I may need to have your friend who did those design some custom topsheets for me.

Thanks for the submissions so far. We will be getting more of the ski blueprints up later this week. Keep them coming our way.

I've just uploaded my Design: The Hugh Conway Pro model. Do you have what it takes to ride like Hugh? The cylindrical design with a rounded mushroom shaped head is ideal for extended days tailgunning. At 14 inches long and an extra stiff profile it is definitely not meant to be ridden by the timid. Keeping Hugh in mind, it comes in a mean all black color scheme. Each Pro Model kit also comes with a complimentary soft latex cleaning bag with attached pipette.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Lurking in under the join date parameters. Just because I'm not always on here telling you how huge my junk is doesn't mean I'm not MASSIVE.

Check out the Gargoyle. A skier's ski, for folks who think that a 120 waist gives your friends more face shots than it gives you. A slimmed down euro version of what people might have been thinking when they built skis from the spatula foundation like the wootest/hoji/billygoat.
    185 cm.
    128 108 122
    60cm tip taper, 40cm tail taper.
    45/7cm tip rocker +15 flat, 5mm camber for 85cm, +25 flat to 15/3cm half twin tail rocker.

Not your vanilla back-country ski. This powder submarine is a little strange, a little kinky, and is gonna' be the tool of choice for radness yeller's across the world. So check em out, they are about to rip the schiznit out of your favorite line. Don't forget to call Mom as you drop in.

Carnitas
    134-112-123
    3mm camber
    Tip rocker- 40cm, tip height- 6cm, 30 cm taper
    tail rocker 25cm, tail height 1.5cm, 20cm taper, no twin, skin notch
    flex: medium-stiff-stiff under foot, medium-stiff tail, medium tip. First 15 cm of tip are a bit softer

Bunch of bullshit about the ski:
    Carnitas, our delicious roast pork friend, is always great. It's great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or as a snack. You could serve it at Super Bowl party, and you could serve it at a wedding reception (as long as you invite the right sort of people- the awesome kind).

And that is what this ski is like. It just works. Everywhere.

The long, low rocker profile, in coordination with tip and tail taper, give the skis a surfy looseness in 3D snow, without hookiness in crud, crusts or on hardpack. The tail rocker is minimal so the tail is always "there" to support you on landings or popping out of a turn, but there is enough rise that you’re never too locked in when you need to pivot quickly.

The flex is stiff enough to power through heavy snow and set an edge on ice, but supple enough for quick planing in powder, with just the right right amount of rebound and support in the tail for billy-goating tight, steep lines and sticking airs you can't afford to miss.

The turning radius is predictable in steep couloirs, and perfect for laying down railroad tracks on the way back to the lift.

From Cham, to Hokkaido, to the Wasatch, to Las Lenas- whether you're riding lifts, or climbing under your own power, the Carnitas is a ski you can trust as much as your best skiing partners, a precision tool in the hands of the skier who skis everywhere.

I would love something like the now 86ed 194cm Salomon El Dictator, it is a sweet 114mm waist, stiff, flat tail, slight rocker ski. I may have other fatter skis, but when I'm 50/50 on conditions these are my daily drivers.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Name:	Carnitas.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	143234

Carnitas!

Name:	Carnitas.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	143234

Carnitas!
    Awesome!

Except you added 10mm to the tail width.

I'm surprised there aren't way more submissions. Maybe this is the busy season for dentists.

My ideal ski would have to be the perfect mix of the EHP and the Maestro. Perfectly Point-able, Darling to Dance with the Tech, Trees, and Steep. Just enough enough Taper and Early Rise in the Right Places to make it a blast in the Fresh. FLAT TAIL. 116 or so underfoot.

Sorry Guys, I never had a chance to ski the Chutes.

These might be the Ill MAcho MAchineS
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc